Why do you never visit Dres?

John FX

46 minutes ago, Biff Space said:

Dres is awesome! If you like rovers, Dres is the place! It is like Ike, but instead of loooong smooth inclines, it's all kind of bumpy, so you bounce and rattle up and down hill. Best driving in the system, without exception. 

Dres! Dres! Dres! Visit Dres!

:)

The Dreslian Tourism Board thanks you for your support!

I was going once, forget what version, but there was a double feature at the drive-in on Minmus of Plan 9 From Outer Space and It Came From Outer Space, so I flew in to take in the double feature and by the time they were over, I was tired and stopped by Mun for an ice cream on the way back home.

Edited by joekidd1992
Spelling correction

On 3/21/2016 at 7:35 AM, joekidd1992 said:

I was going once, forget what version, but there was a double feature at the drive-in on Minmus of Plan 9 From Outer Space and It Came From Outer Space, so I flew in to take in the double feature and by the time they were over, I was tired and stopped by Mun for an ice cream on the way back home.

Why would you stop by the mun for ice cream when minmus is ice cream??

Dres is just a boring grey space rock in the middle of nowhere. Duna is much more interesting and it's closer to Kerbin, and if you've got the dV to get to Dres you might as well go to Jool or any of its moons since it takes roughly the same amount of dV thanks to aerobraking and gravity assists. Hell, you can even get to Eeloo for the same dV!

Edited by CaptainKorhonen

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2015 at 10:18 AM, Caelib said:

"It's small and relatively uninteresting. We will spend several hundred million dollars to determine that it's just another rock floating in space"

Nope. It's full of water. 

Primarily because back in my last serious career (1.0.2), I tended to launch interplanetaries, then spend the next six game sessions micromanaging things in Kerbin SoI. By the time the probe got to where it was originally going to intercept, either it or the planet was in the wrong place and getting to Dres' SoI would now cost thousands of the delta-vs :( 

This is another reason I will be doing just one mission at a time in 1.1. 

I'm also hoping that some planet modder will do something with Dres to make it more visually interesting...

• 1 month later...

Dres is the best planet! There is absolutely no reason you shouldn't visit Dres! Unless your a hater because I have a bunch of bases called fort knocks, and they will absolutely annilate any haters. Othere than that, it's awesome! I might send some whaa-I-want-more-snacks class tourism cruisers to Dres soon. 

DRES!!!

• 7 months later...
On 5/4/2015 at 8:33 AM, John FX said:

Found this funny video

Covered most of the points about why I never go to Dres.

Why do you never go to Dres?

I actually go to it quite often, and I've found that the asteroids in it's orbit are handy for refueling without needing to actually land

Holy Moly Magzimum! Nice fleet!

The boffins back at KSC are concocting a new space station for Minmus orbit.... they're gonna make mine pretty much redundant and I've heard nasty words about the lander Ultraminer being over-engineered and in need to replacement. I'm considering using the Nerva on my space station to relocate to Dres along with Ultraminer. It seems a cool place to get away from it all and won't require aerobraking which suits me!

And being Dres, I don't think KSC will be coming after us any time soon!

PS: Any tips on getting an ISRU to output snacks? We've been out here for a while.

A 'planet' called dress shouldn't be as boring as Dres looks. If your girlfriend told you she had a new dress and then showed up in a piece of wardrobe which looks ordinary and just like three others she already has, why hyping it?

It's just the same colour as the Mun, Ike or Tylo. The formers are easier to reach and the latter way more challenging. A canyon? Got that on the Mun. Asteroids? You have them in Kerbin SOI as well. So why go there?

Its inclination makes it - literally - avoid any mission to the Joovian system which just makes sure you never get to dress - not even by accident.

I've never been to Dres because I've never been more than a few hundred km past Mun.  Now, once I get Munar landing down, visit Minmus (just to say I have) and get my ship design fully ironed out, a minor tweak will give me a ship with (I hope) enough dV to get to Duna/Ike, Eve/Gilly, and possibly even Dres.

You know that clingy, annoying grandma? The one who hasn't said or done anything interesting since the Eisenhower administration, but you're still forced to visit her anyway? Your mom dresses you up in that ugly suit, wet- combs your hair, and admonishes you to be on your best behavior, only to leave you for hours with nothing to do except listen to the clock ticking in a dark room full of ugly gray furniture. And then when it's all done, you have to write her a thank- you letter talking about how much you enjoyed your visit and other assorted lies?

Well, grandma's name is Dres. You never really visit her because you're excited to go, you really just go so you can say "there, I did it" and people will get off your back.

Personally, I think Dres needs to be a little livelier. If she was the kind of grandma who used to tour with Dean Martin or made her own bathtub gin or skinned bears or sumpthin' , we'd all look forward to visiting her.

But she's not livelier. She's just Dres.

Edited by GoSlash27

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.