Why do you never visit Dres?

John FX

Dres is in the location where it would be easier to visit the more interesting Duna, or just a tiny bit easier than the Joolian system, which in itself is much more interesting than so many of the planets in KSP. 

And I doubt starting a Dres Awareness thread helps things at all.

41 minutes ago, Columbia said:

Dres is in the location where it would be easier to visit the more interesting Duna, or just a tiny bit easier than the Joolian system, which in itself is much more interesting than so many of the planets in KSP. 

And I doubt starting a Dres Awareness thread helps things at all.

But more interesting than Eeloo or Moho or the Mun or Minimus or 3/5 of Jool's moons or Ike or Gilly because it has flipping asteroids orbiting it and a flipping 1km+ deep canyon.

Fire

Oh, it appears this has been revived.

Maybe one never goes to Dres, because some people yell at you to go a little too much. Maybe it's because it's a big smellyface. Maybe it's because it's not very interesting. Maybe it's because it's so interesting people save it for last. Maybe we'll never know...

48 minutes ago, Firemetal said:

But more interesting than Eeloo or Moho or the Mun or Minimus or 3/5 of Jool's moons or Ike or Gilly because it has flipping asteroids orbiting it and a flipping 1km+ deep canyon.

Fire

And the flipping canyon makes your rovers go flipping crazy and it's awesome

14 minutes ago, Dres said:

Oh, it appears this has been revived.

Maybe one never goes to Dres, because some people yell at you to go a little too much.

Maybe it's because it's a big smellyface.

Maybe it's because it's not very interesting.

Maybe it's because it's so interesting people save it for last.

Maybe we'll never know...

Yes. 

Oops... Uh... Sorry to all those people who I yelled at for no reason? I guess I only yelled at people who actively disliked Dres (mostly)... 

Definitely not. 

Definitely not. 

Maybe. 

Maybe... 

Even though I've already been to Jool it is the only other planet I have been to....

I know from some *cough* messed-up *cough* missions that changing inclination to get to other places like Dres is horribly delta v consuming, and I think that's the main reason that no one goes there,but....

Why not just launch at an angle first?

8 hours ago, The Space Dino said:

Even though I've already been to Jool it is the only other planet I have been to....

I know from some *cough* messed-up *cough* missions that changing inclination to get to other places like Dres is horribly delta v consuming, and I think that's the main reason that no one goes there,but....

Why not just launch at an angle first?

Or make a tiny inclination change going into a gravity assist, and let the host planet do most of the big one...

10 hours ago, Firemetal said:

Fire

In my personal opinion;

-Eeloo is color blue, though it would be extra-difficult to get there anyway

-I can agree with you on that one, Moho's largely uninteresting yet difficult to get to, never visited it either

-The Mun's right in front of Kerbin, and a test of skill for the beginner

-Minmus is ice cream in your planet's backyard

-Yet, at least Laythe is worth going to, or maybe Tylo, or maybe Jool itself is an interesting sight, and it's right there -- It's easy to get captured by it once you get the Delta-V anyway

-Ike is next to Duna, Gilly is next to Eve

It would be more interesting to learn asteroid capture, and a 1km deep canyon just doesn't do it for me. Also, it's a gray rock that's somewhat bland in comparison to its relative remoteness, but again, it's my personal opinion. 

I am doing my grand tour of the Kerbol system, so I will visit Dres. In the past I have been to Mun, Minmus, Duna and Ike, Jool and Laythe and I guess technically to Kerbin and Kerbol. My resent expedition took me to Moho and then Eeloo, thinking if I was orbiting Moho I would not have to wait as long for a window to Eeloo. I am currently orbiting Eve and planing my visit to Gilly. I am thinking of approaching it more like a rendezvous with a space station than a Hohmann like transfer. Dres isn't the big mystery for me. I am still having problems figuring out how to reach the ? asteroids hovering around Kerbin. How can they stay so close to Kerbin, unless they are in orbits with the same period? Should I just tilt my inclination in relationship to Kerbol?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.