Minmus Landing [Stock]

MrMadGameplay

When I seen on the changes list that there was a new object to land on I almost wet myself :P.

This was one hell of a hard job. I made a lander but it wasn\'t working so I thought I would just go and orbit Minmus instead. It was really difficult to work out where to do my burn on kerbin and with the new orbit map system, I didn\'t have a clue what I was doing but I managed to got there with enough fuel for a landing so I just decided to land with my orbiter :D

Here are the picks:

7218613102_5d365859a4_c.jpg

Is that lake frozen?

7218614160_ae7597a20f_c.jpg

Landing and didn\'t fall over :D

7218611888_deb8dae531_c.jpg

Just proof that I didn\'t crash :P

Here is the Vid:

Actually, you can do a Minmus mission in any standard Munar lander, it actually takes slightly less fuel, so his craft file probably isn\'t too special.

I agree, Minmus takes less to land because it has less gravity than Mun, but it can be challenging on fuel trying to get into orbit :D

What\'s the best way to align your orbital plane with Minmas\'s? I can plane-change, but I want to know how you can do it efficiently.

What I did was just, I got into orbit around Kerbin then when the tiny little purple spec rises you burn and you should get into a good position to get into Minmus orbrit.

(Note: When burning for Minmus be warned DO NOT USE FULL THROTTLE!)

It\'s inclined, but perfectly aligned so that if you launch from a fresh save it\'s relatively easy to hit. If you\'re not aligned, burning normal or anti-normal will change your inclination.

The hard part for me is the low mass. It\'s not exactly difficult, but it\'s funny getting used to the altered speeds at which your orbit changes and how long it takes to actually fall and land.

I\'m wondering what we\'re going to call Minmus monoliths. Minmoliths?

I also landed on it; it kinda looks like a scoop of mint ice cream close up. I wonder what material this would be made of. I first thought of ice, but the texture seems more rocky, like the Mun

Also, who\'s up for a community Minmus base? I hope Seanoog will consider it.

Minmus kind of reminds me of the original moon/planet style of the 2005 Spore demo, and it\'s funny that KSP actually lets you land on such planets and moons now. Great update.

lol ya I thought it looks like a Spore planet too ;P

Minmas is is a tiny speck now when viewed from kerbin? Wow, that\'s new! That wasn\'t in the experimentals.

The old minmus was just a single shimmering pixel form parking orbit. The new one probably is 2-3 pixels wide and more noticeable...

Im yet to send something to land on it, but I spent a quick 20mins getting my first probe in orbit around the Minmus mun. Looks a bit bigger than I expected, will have to send a rover at some point!

Got some nice pictures though, at one point I looked back and saw Kerbin in the distance, with the Mun also in view, Kerbol shining off in the distance, with Minmus in shot as well - now that was cool :)

o1mYk.jpg

When I seen on the changes list that there was a new object to land on I almost wet myself :P.

I saw it from the command map. I did lose it.

When I wnet there, I took it with the mentality of approaching a COMPLETELY unknown body. All I knew is what it looked like from the orbital map (which doesn\'t tell you much) and that I couldn\'t see it from Kerbin (which doesn\'t tell you much), hence the WAY overbuilt lander. I built the craft for something much larger.

Anyway, general procedure I used:

Get into a nice round orbit around Kerbin, do a plane change to match orbits. Minmus is on about a 10~15 deg inclination.

Do a hohmann transfer out to Minmus, aim almost directly for it.

As soon as you start getting close, accelerate parallel to the orbit until your orbit patches in.

It\'s not the most efficient way there, but for a first exploration, it worked pretty well.

To anyone wondering what it looks like, here it is:

8tFu7.png

xHl5n.png

Yeah, my lander is huge,

For what it\'s worth, the \'seas\' on Minmus are solid. I landed on one with great trepidation. The highlands seem to be about +2000m or so immediately around the seas, so there\'s a lot of relief.

The return flight was uneventful. I had beefed up my lander for the longer return, but as someone pointed out, it actually takes less energy to return from the surface of Minmus than the surface of Mun.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.