[1.3] KerBalloons v0.4.2 - Balloons for KSP!

I am currently re-writing the entire code for the balloon module to not only work more efficiently but also to make it much easier to customise in the config.

It is almost done (by done, I mean the level at which the current module is at)

I am currently re-writing the entire code for the balloon module to not only work more efficiently but also to make it much easier to customise in the config.

It is almost done (by done, I mean the level at which the current module is at)

Another update:

Dealing with a lot of bugs right now trying to implement this new code, could be a few days before I get it done.

• 2 weeks later...

This mod is not dead, I am still working on it - just not much to show recently.

I am still rewriting the code, it's a pain - a ton of really weird bugs - but slowly but surely I am getting there.

Development will be on hold as I am going away to Tanzania and will not be back until 14/08/15, and I am away the following week.

This means development will probably not resume until about 20/08/15.

I would also like to pre-warn that, from September, development may be a bit slower as I will have less free time (sixth form)

I would also like to pre-warn that, from September, development may be a bit slower as I will have less free time (sixth form)

Assuming that you go on to do something STEM related, this mod would look great on a UCAS application form. Good luck OP.

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya!

Are you thinking of doing super-big weather balloons? I know you've said that you wanna keep them science based and they aren't meant to be lifting fuel tanks, but NASA did recently lift an SRB and a huge heatshield which was about 5m across, so it'd be cool to do parts contracts with them or something :D

Have a nice trip!

• 1 month later...

Seconding the "wishing for heavy payload weather balloons" thing- rigging 40 something of the little ones together on a truss to lift a couple sensors and a parachute isn't exactly economical, and I know you can get off-the-shelf balloons in real life that lift way more than .005 metric tons. (They're expensive, but you can get them) That's even before you get into airships and hot air balloons. (Incidentally, both of those would be nice too. X3)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't usually poke authors for updates but in this case I have stated multiple times over the past 2 months on my twitter account plans to use these balloons in Sept/Oct and I would like to know if that would still be possible. I downloaded the first release but after going to the pad and inflating the balloon it never left the ground... I have no problems if this mod is on official hiatus but I'd like to know so I can stop planning to use it later down the road if that's the case, until it comes back under active development. Thanks!

I don't usually poke authors for updates but in this case I have stated multiple times over the past 2 months on my twitter account plans to use these balloons in Sept/Oct and I would like to know if that would still be possible. I downloaded the first release but after going to the pad and inflating the balloon it never left the ground... I have no problems if this mod is on official hiatus but I'd like to know so I can stop planning to use it later down the road if that's the case, until it comes back under active development. Thanks!

I am having some pretty serious issues with it so whilst it's not on hold, don't expect it to be ready any time too soon.

Sorry for any inconvenience

Because I kept getting issues that were difficult to get around, and to make this mod easier to edit, I am rebuilding from the ground up.

First up was a slightly updated model as seen here:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Next I will be starting the code, from scratch, and get this balloon working. From there I will add bigger balloons, special science parts and hopefully contracts.

Keep checking back for updates and thanks for being patient.

Edited by JoePatrick1

Yay, it's alive again!

Looks great.

Will the balloon be on a rigid stick again, or a separate object on a KAS-style rope? (Not sure which one I would prefer yet, since the rigid one is much more practical.)

Also, are you planning to release more C.O.R.E. soon?

• 3 weeks later...

Would you eventually add blimps to make this style mission?

Also, I think it would be possible to switch to KSC when in flight, if you mark the craft as landed. Well, it would be a few kilometers in air, but AFAIK as long as it marked as "landed" it won't despawn.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.