[1.3] KerBalloons v0.4.2 - Balloons for KSP!

while i do love your balloons, i would love some blimp parts too! the ones in orther mods just don't.... work...

also, have you considered balloons with vents? like a hot air balloon; one with the ability to release a bit of pressure to maintain a specific altitude or speed?

Niiiiiice! :) Looking forward to the new parts

3 hours ago, Rushligh said:

while i do love your balloons, i would love some blimp parts too! the ones in orther mods just don't.... work...

also, have you considered balloons with vents? like a hot air balloon; one with the ability to release a bit of pressure to maintain a specific altitude or speed?

Check out Hooligan Labs. They work just fine as far as I know

7 hours ago, Rushligh said:

The balloons already maintain a vertical speed, 'hover' will be coming in a a future update - probably v0.4.1/v0.4.2

v0.4.0 Released for KSP 1.1.3

Changelog

-Added 36 new balloons for Eve, Duna & Laythe

-Added KerBalloons part category in VAB/SPH

-Kerbals can now repack deflated (but not burst) balloons

-All new models/textures for all KerBalloons parts

-Probe cores removed from balloons

-Fixed bug where moving horizontally could cause the balloon to lose lift

-Fixed bug where balloons that had been inflated didn't load properly after quickloading/loading flight after returning to space centre

-Various bugs fixed in lift calculations

-Max payload is now stated in the part info as the max payload at max pressure. eg. 'Max Payload (Kerbin): 10t (at 105kPa)'

-Ships including parts with older versions of KerBalloons are not compatible with KerBalloons v0.4.0
Edited by JoePatrick1

Congrats on release!

2 questions:

1. I have 2 categories tabs in VAB\SPH - is it ok?

2. Is it possible to make some sort of selector of balloon pre-sets? I mean - there are too many balloon parts in category.

19 minutes ago, Horus said:

Congrats on release!

2 questions:

1. I have 2 categories tabs in VAB\SPH - is it ok?

2. Is it possible to make some sort of selector of balloon pre-sets? I mean - there are too many balloon parts in category.

1) You should only have one category. Ensure you are using 1.1.3 and have only one copy of the KerBalloons folder in GameData

2) I hope to do something like this for the next update but I was time constrained for this one. I wanted to get it out before I go away (in less than an hour from now)

Edited by JoePatrick1

14 minutes ago, JoePatrick1 said:

1) You should only have one category. Ensure you are using 1.1.3 and have only one copy of the KerBalloons folder in GameData

I'm positive about game version (1.1.3):

build id = 01289
2016.06.21 at 20:49:32 CEST
Branch: master 

No idea what might affect, but I see duplicated categories.

11 minutes ago, Horus said:

I'm positive about game version (1.1.3):

build id = 01289
2016.06.21 at 20:49:32 CEST
Branch: master 

No idea what might affect, but I see duplicated categories.

Could I get a screenshot?

@JoePatrick Hi congrats on the update, re the duplicated categories in the post prior to yours, the source folder is within the GameData folder complete with another dll.  Inexperienced users are likely not to remove that source folder from the GameData and that may cause the issue of duplication. I suggest removing the source from inside GameData and make it available via sep download.

1 hour ago, JoePatrick1 said:

Hmm, that is strange. Have you tried on a clean install as I wasn't getting this?

Just tried a clean install with ModManager lib & only your mod - same story. Two icons in categories. Pretty weird,

39 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

@JoePatrick Hi congrats on the update, re the duplicated categories in the post prior to yours, the source folder is within the GameData folder complete with another dll.  Inexperienced users are likely not to remove that source folder from the GameData and that may cause the issue of duplication. I suggest removing the source from inside GameData and make it available via sep download.

Right. A *.dll left in debug directory of source is my "inexperience" :)

1 hour ago, Horus said:

Right. A *.dll left in debug directory of source is my "inexperience" :)

Oh right. I probably should have removed that. I can't do it before I get home in ~2 weeks. I'll make a note on the post to let people know.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Mattheus said:

Somehow 125BalloonS is now missing for me after upgrade. Should I replace it with kerbin125BalloonS ? Craft is on its very-very-very long way to Neidon (Outer Planets Mod).

Old versions of KerBalloons are incompatible with v0.4.0 without a little .cfg editing.  When I added different planet balloons, I had to change the names as otherwise I would have several with the same name (as there is a 1.25m Standard Balloon for each planet) which cause a lot of problems and is definitely not something you should have.  

If you want to fix it, the simplest solution would be to open the Kerbin 1.25m Standard config file (KerBalloons>Parts>KerbinBalloons>standard125.cfg) and change the 'name = kerbin125BalloonS' line to 'name = 125BalloonS' 

Just make sure you don't change any other balloons to this name as well.

Edited by JoePatrick1

5 minutes ago, JoePatrick1 said:

Old versions of KerBalloons are incompatible with v0.4.0 without a little .cfg editing.  When I added different planet balloons, I had to change the names as otherwise I would have several with the same name (as there is a 1.25m Standard Balloon for each planet) which cause a lot of problems and is definitely not something you should have.  

If you want to fix it, the simplest solution would be to open the Kerbin 1.25m Standard config file (KerBalloons>Parts>KerbinBalloons>standard125.cfg) and change the 'name = kerbin125BalloonS' line to 'name = 125BalloonS' 

Just make sure you don't change any other balloons to this name as well.

Thanks! I took save file editing path, had two other landers also on the way with same baloon - so all have now kerbin's balloon versions. Dont know if they are even useful in gas giants tough ....

Just a thought, would it be very complicated to have a single balloon model that can be resized for different tanks and have a tweakable menu to set whether it is suitable for Kerbin, Eve etc?

Then you could greatly reduce the number of parts required.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.