[1.3] KerBalloons v0.4.2 - Balloons for KSP!

I hate to do this to you, as I do understand this is the most annoying kind of message to get for a mod maker, but as I literally can't off Eve without your help I feel the need to ask if you have an ETA for the next update for this mod? Please?

On 7/10/2017 at 4:04 AM, NomenNescio said:

I hate to do this to you, as I do understand this is the most annoying kind of message to get for a mod maker, but as I literally can't off Eve without your help I feel the need to ask if you have an ETA for the next update for this mod? Please?

I think it's a worthwhile question by now. I certainly know @JoePatrick knows I will need this mod for KSA in v1.3.x :P But I'm still waiting on 5 other mods to update so haven't bugged him about it yet

Here's an update for you all

Before July I was unable to work on my mods due to exams, they've since finished so I now have the time to work on them.

I've recently been working on other stuff (this for example, if people are interested) but I'm gonna spend some time on KerBalloons next.

I am going away for 2 weeks on 25th July, I will get a 1.3 patch out before then and when I get back I'll carry on with working on the new stuff (like hover mode and Jool balloons)

I'll try to keep you all updated, my YouTube channel will probably have a few videos going up of the new features as I test them - I'll try to remember to link them here as well

Thanks for all your patience :)

edit:
Okay so I've got it working in 1.3, the issue was that squad changed the way part categories load slightly,
I haven't done a full test of every balloon from surface to burst altitude but it all seems to work as it before, if you find any issues let me know
The update is uploaded and pending approval, I'll post when it's available - usually within an hour or so, sometimes more, sometimes less

Edited by JoePatrick1

v0.4.3 Released for KSP 1.3

Changelog

-Recompiled for KSP 1.3

3 hours ago, Drew Kerman said:

thanks dude! I'm now one step closer to v1.3 :) have a good trip

that video is cool - but is it KSP related at all?

Not KSP related, just what I've been getting up to which has kept me from KSP modding

Edited by JoePatrick1

Thank you so much for the update, it's been eagerly awaited and is deeply appreciated. I have run into an issue, but it's so minor it's barely worth mentioning ...But I'm still going to. It's this:

sRnuDC6.png

There are two identical kerballoons tabs. I suspect this might have something to do with the issue you mentioned with Squad changing things around. Just thought you should know.

36 minutes ago, NomenNescio said:

Thank you so much for the update, it's been eagerly awaited and is deeply appreciated. I have run into an issue, but it's so minor it's barely worth mentioning ...But I'm still going to. It's this:

sRnuDC6.png

There are two identical kerballoons tabs. I suspect this might have something to do with the issue you mentioned with Squad changing things around. Just thought you should know.

Did you copy the 'Source' folder into your game directory because I forgot to remove the .dll from there which would cause it to load twice?

52 minutes ago, JoePatrick1 said:

Did you copy the 'Source' folder into your game directory because I forgot to remove the .dll from there which would cause it to load twice?

Oohh. I was wondering what that was. Should I delete the entire folder? Or just the .dll?

Edited by NomenNescio

57 minutes ago, NomenNescio said:

Oohh. I was wondering what that was. Should I delete the entire folder? Or just the .dll?

You can just delete the whole folder, you don't need it but it's required by Squad to include it in the download

Okay, this is seriously strange, but after extensive testing this mod is definitely the cause. With this mod installed my rapier engines lose most of their oomph. They can't get me into orbit. It makes no sense, but there's zero doubt here.

Edit: Is it possible your mod is messing with the aerodynamics?

Edited by NomenNescio

On 22/07/2017 at 10:58 AM, NomenNescio said:

Okay, this is seriously strange, but after extensive testing this mod is definitely the cause. With this mod installed my rapier engines lose most of their oomph. They can't get me into orbit. It makes no sense, but there's zero doubt here.

Edit: Is it possible your mod is messing with the aerodynamics?

I know you say you've done extensive testing but I can't see any possible way for this mod to affect other parts, no aerodynamics or anything is changed.
You can check the source code here and you will see only parts with the 'ModuleKerBalloons' module have anything done to them

17 hours ago, JoePatrick1 said:

I know you say you've done extensive testing but I can't see any possible way for this mod to affect other parts, no aerodynamics or anything is changed.
You can check the source code here and you will see only parts with the 'ModuleKerBalloons' module have anything done to them

Hmm.... It's mystery then. I'll see what I come up with. In the mean time could you do me a favor and just see if you can replicate the issue?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I tried the balloon, and it was kind of fun for a moment. But sadly, the one thing that is badly missing is that Kerbin has no winds. The balloon just goes up and the planet slowly revolves under it, but there is no sense of a real balloon adventure.

I wonder if this could be faked. Maybe a built-in invisible sideways thrust in a random direction.

• 2 months later...

For some reason, the balloons are not showing up for me. The parachutes are there, but no other parts and no custom category.

EDIT: So, the parts will show up if I look for them in advanced mode (i.e., by module, by resource, etc.).

Edited by HotSandwich
Added info

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

one of best mods out there since i found this mod i fell in love its great mod and much like real life and i am playing in RSS system it make it like real balloon 

thanks for this great mod 

On 12/10/2017 at 6:58 PM, i like pizza said:

I wish this was updated for 1.3.1.

try it on ksp 1.3.1 i'm playing on 1.3 but try on 1.3.1 there is not huge different between the to version so i think it will work probably 

On 11/8/2017 at 8:38 PM, HotSandwich said:

For some reason, the balloons are not showing up for me. The parachutes are there, but no other parts and no custom category.

EDIT: So, the parts will show up if I look for them in advanced mode (i.e., by module, by resource, etc.).

On 12/10/2017 at 10:28 AM, i like pizza said:

I wish this was updated for 1.3.1.

On 12/18/2017 at 2:36 PM, Ninadragonborn said:

one of best mods out there since i found this mod i fell in love its great mod and much like real life and i am playing in RSS system it make it like real balloon 

thanks for this great mod 

try it on ksp 1.3.1 i'm playing on 1.3 but try on 1.3.1 there is not huge different between the to version so i think it will work probably 

I'm finally jumping over to v1.3.1 and took a look at this - it's the same problem as Kerbalism and other mods from v1.3 that used custom categories - they won't show up anymore in v1.3.1. Here's a MM patch that will place everything in the Science tab - at some point I may do a CCK patch too but for now this'll do. Basic testing shows the balloons still work once you can find the parts to build something with them.

@PART[*Balloon*]:NEEDS[KerBalloons]:FINAL { @category = Science }

Still, hope @JoePatrick1 is able to come back and do a proper update at some point - would very much like the hover features!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Clockwork13 said:

What am i supposed to do with that?

stick it in a text file, name it whatever you want with a .cfg extension and stick it anywhere in your GameData folder. Obviously make sure you have Module Manager installed as well

4 hours ago, MkFilipe said:

Is it possible to keep the balloon at a chosen height, maybe deflate it just enough mid flight so it hovers?

no, but in the latest update the developer was working on it was. Hopefully he'll have a chance to come back and finish it up for release at some point

Why aren't the balloons put into any category? Kinda annoying to have to search around for them when you can't even use the part search bar.

Using ksp 64 bit

Modlist-

Vens stock revamp 

procedural parts 1.3.1 patched

procedural fairings 

heat control 

KAS/KIS

Near future solar/construction/electrical

Mechjeb 2

Real plume

RLA stockalike

kerbal reusability

Kerballoons

dmagic orbital science

Edited by RYU AZUKU99
adding information about my game

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.