[1.3] KerBalloons v0.4.2 - Balloons for KSP!

23 hours ago, RYU AZUKU99 said:

Why aren't the balloons put into any category? Kinda annoying to have to search around for them when you can't even use the part search bar.

because

On 12/25/2017 at 7:12 AM, Drew Kerman said:

it's the same problem as Kerbalism and other mods from v1.3 that used custom categories - they won't show up anymore in v1.3.1. Here's a MM patch that will place everything in the Science tab

The fix does not work for me, the parts are not showing up in the science tab. I created a text file and copy/pasted your code into it naming it 'KerBalloon patch.cfg' and tried placing it by itself in the gamedata folder, placed it into its own folder in the gamedata folder, and placed it into the KerBalloon folder. 

Figured it out, and thanks for making that fix.

Edited by RYU AZUKU99
figured out the sniz

On 12/25/2017 at 12:12 PM, Drew Kerman said:

at some point I may do a CCK patch too but for now this'll do.

@CCKExtraFilterConfig:NEEDS[CCK,KerBalloons]
{
	Item
	{
		name = KerBalloons
		tag = KerBalloons
		selectedIcon = KerBalloons/Textures/KBIconSelected
		normalIcon = KerBalloons/Textures/KBIconNormal
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleKerBalloon]]:NEEDS[KerBalloons]:FINAL
{
	@category = none
	@tags = #$tags$ KerBalloons
	&tags = KerBalloons
}

The above creates a KerBalloons category and populates it with KerBalloon parts if Community Category Kit is installed.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Sorry it's been a while, I started uni in September and so I've been very busy.

I don't know when I'll be able to get back to modding but I don't think an update is likely before the summer.

If in the summer I decide I will not be able to continue development I will consider releasing the files without an 'all rights reserved' license so that others can continue development.

Thanks for being patient :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 3:36 PM, JoePatrick1 said:

Hi guys,

Sorry it's been a while, I started uni in September and so I've been very busy.

I don't know when I'll be able to get back to modding but I don't think an update is likely before the summer.

If in the summer I decide I will not be able to continue development I will consider releasing the files without an 'all rights reserved' license so that others can continue development.

Thanks for being patient :)

Hey dude don't sweat it! You've given a lot to the community and we all have lives of our own we need to take care of.

• 4 months later...

It would appear that @JoePatrick1 has been consumed with university life.  Fully understandable.  I downloaded the latest install to play around with and found that it didn't work.  While KerBaloons is licensed under all rights reserved, and I fully respect that, the CurseForge listing for the .dll says that it can be redistributed.

So, I fixed the minor issue with it not loading (it didn't create the icon in the toolbar and load the parts) and I'm making JUST the .dll available for download.

[Download link removed by moderator]

Joe, if you see this, I hope you don't mind.  I'd hate to see a fun mod like this vanish.  Send me a  PM when you see this and I'll GLADLY remove the download link.

Edited by Snark
Download link removed by moderator

19 hours ago, Fengist said:

So, I fixed the minor issue with it not loading (it didn't create the icon in the toolbar and load the parts) and I'm making JUST the .dll available for download.

We're sorry, but we've had to remove your download link, for a few reasons.

First, the OP of this thread explicitly states that the license is All Rights Reserved.  Second, the CurseForge page for the mod also states All Rights Reserved.  So, nothing from those pages can be modified or redistributed by anyone.

the CurseForge listing for the .dll says that it can be redistributed

I assume you're talking about this page here, where the author has made KerBalloons available as a DLL-only download.  On that page, he states,

Redistributing any part of KerBalloons other than this .dll or the contents of KerBalloons/Sounds is forbidden.

...which implies that yes, it's okay to redistribute that DLL.

However, that's not what you're doing here.  You're modifying the original source code and re-compiling it.  In other words, you're redistributing a modified version, and nowhere does the author state that that's allowed.

Furthermore... even if redistributing a modified version were allowed by the mod's license-- even if the mod had been released into the public domain-- it's KSP forum policy (add-on posting rules) that one is not allowed to post binaries without posting the source code.  Therefore, posting a DLL download link, without the source code that was used to generate that DLL, would be prohibited regardless of license, even if you were the original author.

Basically, the upshot of all this is that this mod is completely dead, and will remain so until such time as @JoePatrick1 himself either fixes it, or else changes the license to something more permissive to allow someone else to fix it.  Which is a darn shame, because this looks like a fun, cool mod.  :(  But that's how it works.

(Moral of the story:  If you're a mod author, and you make your mod All Rights Reserved, then your mod will die as soon as you, personally stop updating it.  If that's not what you want to happen, don't use All Rights Reserved.)

Joe, if you see this, I hope you don't mind.

^ Politely spoken.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.  Yes, it's easier to get forgiveness than permission... but when it comes to licenses, permission is what's required.

We're sorry we had to snip the link and rain on everyone's parade, here.  We're sure you meant well.  It's just what happens with an All Rights Reserved mod when the author vanishes.

31 minutes ago, Snark said:

We're sorry we had to snip the link and rain on everyone's parade, here.  We're sure you meant well.  It's just what happens with an All Rights Reserved mod when th

e author vanishes.

No problem @Snark, I realized it might be interpreted as you did, that THIS .dll meant that exact one and not THE dll in a broader sense.  You did what you had to.  Just thot I'd give it a shot, hope for the best legal interpretation and try to keep the mod alive.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok,

The license has now been changed to MIT which should allow anyone to do whatever they want with this mod

All my original files that I can find on my computer are here if anyone wants them
This should have all the blender, photoshop, unity etc. files - the folder is pretty disorganised though so sorry for that

I am interested to see what people will do with this mod and will check back every now and then but just wanted to thank everyone who has used this mod and thank you for all the great comments, artwork and even donations over the years

One day I may return to modding but who knows

Thanks again 
Joe :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.