JoePatrick1

[1.3] KerBalloons v0.4.2 - Balloons for KSP!

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Gazper said:

Well as far as I know atmospheric balloons don't burst that easy, I wonder if there is a way to make balloons reach top altitude then float around or make them move like the EVE clouds do to simulate wind.

Depends on amount of gas and payload, sometimes they simply can't reach high enough to burst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/01/2016 at 3:14 PM, TruthQuark said:

Is there a way in the cfg file to create a balloon that does not burst?

You could try setting min pressure to -1, that might work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, JoePatrick1 said:

You could try setting min pressure to -1, that might work

Hmm... Doesn't that also affect maximum altitude?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TruthQuark said:

Hmm... Doesn't that also affect maximum altitude?

Errr yes....if the balloon doesn't burst then it can go higher....is that not obvious?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JoePatrick1 said:

Errr yes....if the balloon doesn't burst then it can go higher....is that not obvious?

Is there a way to reduce lift so that it will only carry a payload to the original burst altitudes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/01/2016 at 5:20 PM, TruthQuark said:

Is there a way to reduce lift so that it will only carry a payload to the original burst altitudes?

They do that anyway?

The balloon inflates, goes up and bursts when the air pressure is too low - this is the max height.

If you remove the min pressure limit, it should't burst and therefore keep rising until it doesn't produce enough lift

You can reduce how high it can lift a payload by reducing its min and max lift in the config

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KerBalloons has been updated to v0.3.1
You can now set a lift limit so that you can carry smaller payloads with the bigger balloons without it accelerating to the speed of light.
v0.4 is still under development but I wanted to get this feature out before then.
Enjoy

b21e3KQ.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this mod. Thank you. Flying saucers are less fun without the ability to mislabel one as a "weather balloon". ;)

WeatherBaloon%204_zpsi8bbdnn2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great Job, i like this mod

 

Balloon :cool:

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can I request Tweakscale support? Other than that it's a great mod, but if It doesn't help me launch kilotons, I'm kinda left wanting more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like this mod.

as with everything I do in kerbal, there is much trial and error.

mostly error.

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super like, stupid question, but is there anyway to replace the balloons after popping them or deflating them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/03/2016 at 3:19 AM, Cooly568 said:

Super like, stupid question, but is there anyway to replace the balloons after popping them or deflating them?

Not currently

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

can't wait! Great to see progress on this. Those textures look awesome

Edited by Gaiiden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't notice this mod till now but I definitely see some uses.

Balloon Bombs like the ones Japan used in WWII come to mind.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

can't wait! Great to see progress on this. Those textures look awesome

Thanks. Trying to get v0.4 out with the official 1.1 release if I can.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Downloading to see if I can make Venus balloon probes. And because, balloons!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't tell you how happy I am that I found this mod.

 

Here is what I am trying to do.

So NASA announced they are looking into the viability of a colony on Venus(eve). But not on the surface because that would be crazy.

In the air! Cloud city (cue the stat wars music)

50km above the surface where the atmosphere is @ 1 atmospheric pressure. They will do his with......BALLOONS.

 

I am going to try and great a tiny habitat above eve. I'm thinking a kerbal can for four kerbals to start.

 

Any advice before I get started?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2016 at 5:18 PM, JoePatrick1 said:

Thanks. Trying to get v0.4 out with the official 1.1 release if I can.

Can't wait to see your 1.1 release! Since I have to start from scratch (I guess we all have to), this and Umbra's sounding rockets are definitely how I want to get started!

EDIT: Haha, looks like I'll be waiting, since the 1.0.5 version isn't compatible with 1.1. We'll be waiting on your next update, JoePatrick. :)

Edited by Synthesis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Synthesis said:

Can't wait to see your 1.1 release! Since I have to start from scratch (I guess we all have to), this and Umbra's sounding rockets are definitely how I want to get started!

EDIT: Haha, looks like I'll be waiting, since the 1.0.5 version isn't compatible with 1.1. We'll be waiting on your next update, JoePatrick. :)

I'll try and release an update tomorrow that is 1.1 compatible and has a few changes I have made.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoePatrick1 said:

I'll try and release an update tomorrow that is 1.1 compatible and has a few changes I have made.

Awesome news! I know as mod-users we're not in a position to demand anything, but make suggestions, but it's great to hear you're addressing this. Between this and KSPRC being updated tomorrow (possibly), I'm pretty much all set for restarting KSP. :cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/04/2016 at 0:17 AM, Synthesis said:

Awesome news! I know as mod-users we're not in a position to demand anything, but make suggestions, but it's great to hear you're addressing this. Between this and KSPRC being updated tomorrow (possibly), I'm pretty much all set for restarting KSP. :cool:

Been playing around with removing the lift limit and instead having it automatic. It works much better and is nearly finished (just testing & balancing) so I will release the 1.1 update when that is done. 22:45 here so probably not tonight but tomorrow most likely (again...lol)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoePatrick1 said:

Been playing around with removing the lift limit and instead having it automatic. It works much better and is nearly finished (just testing & balancing) so I will release the 1.1 update when that is done. 22:45 here so probably not tonight but tomorrow most likely (again...lol)

That's what I get for waiting for one particular mod to be updated before I start a new game. :D

I'd use the old release in the meantime, but it's flat out not compatible--no idea what might've been broken in moving to 1.1....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now