This time last week...

pandaman

Just think. Only a week ago we were all eagerly watching the website and forum in anticipation of the release, like greedy dogs waiting for their master to open a tin of food.

Now after eating not just one, but three, tins in quick succession, some of the dogs are savaging the master for providing a variety they don't like. Some are happily 'humping' the master's leg because they loved it so much. Many are quietly content, and most are a bit confused about whether the last tin is how their food will taste for a while.

It's been an eventful week :)

Just think. Only a week ago we were all eagerly watching the website and forum in anticipation of the release, like greedy dogs waiting for their master to open a tin of food.

Now after eating not just one, but three, tins in quick succession, some of the dogs are savaging the master for providing a variety they don't like. Some are happily 'humping' the master's leg because they loved it so much. Many are quietly content, and most are a bit confused about whether the last tin is how their food will taste for a while.

It's been an eventful week :)

Very true.

Here's what I said a week ago to the hour:

I'm predicting that people trying to download from the main site will crash everything for about an hour. There'll be angry posts all around, and once the dust settles, some people will have problems with a bad download. They'll have to re-download, and they won't be happy.

About five hours after release, someone will find a game-breaking bug with a certain combination of parts or maybe Career mode. Because SQUAD will be inundated with low-quality bug reports, there will be many more bugs that are found but not easy to replicate. There will be a lot of bile addressed towards SQUAD and its lack of wider testing. SQUAD will scramble to make a hotfix, eventually producing it close to a week after the update.

The magic will have been lost. Opposition towards SQUAD will be at an all-time high. The Forums will be full of sometimes-heated discussions, just as a great number of new players enter and further disturb the 'normal balance.'

...I think I got it pretty dang spot-on.

The website/store didn't crash, for me at least, but some others couldn't get it to work.

There was a game-breaking bug with parachutes, some problems with fairings and the like, and there's probably a lot more bugs out there.

SQUAD's gotten a lot of bile, much of it unfairly directed towards the QA testers.

Now, many are claiming that SQUAD "blew its first release" and the like. Whether or not this is true, it's inspiring loads of heated discussion.

I do think that public opinion of SQUAD is a bit better than I anticipated, which is nice. But it was considerably higher before the development cycle for 1.0 really kicked into gear.

I'm not gloating here. If anything, I'm stating that unfortunately, the KSP forums have become a less pleasant place since the update. This cycle is rather predictable, and I personally want it to stop.

I know that I have previously been a part of the negativity, participating in some heated discussions (though trying to be polite) and such. I'll try not to do it in the future, difficult though it may be. I promise. :)

-Upsilon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.