[Part] [1.9] Graphotron [v1.5.1, March 9, 2020] - Track & Plot Sensor & Flight Data

Ezriilc

Graphotron is a plugin and part for KSP,  that tracks and plots sensor and flight data into a nice graph.

v1.5.1, released March 9, 2020 : Works with KSP v1.9

Kerbaltek Aerospace is proud to be the official home of Graphotron.  For FAQs, official downloads, update notifications and more, visit our site:

www.Kerbaltek.com/graphotron

Please feel free to contact us here or on our site with any support or other issues you might have.  We'll do our best to address everything in time.

Edited by Ezriilc
updates, formatting, typos

Does using it give you science? If no, why move it so far in tech tree? IMO it should be something available pretty early.

I honestly have no idea. :cool:

khyperia only made it work with 1.0, and we haven't really started any changes or improvements yet.

This will certainly be worth checking into. Thanks!

khyperia only made it work with 1.0, and we haven't really started any changes or improvements yet.

Not sure if the changes every got incorporated but I remember the part had *crazy* large textures for what it was. The buttons were something like 1k pixel maps for each button. If no one's taken care of it yet I can send you a pull request with more appropriately sized textures.

I didn't see much more info on the website. Could someone lay out more of what this mod does exactly?

What data can it track? Is the data only visible on the in-game graph I see or can it be exported to a spreadsheet for further use?

I'm not a big fan of sticking extra parts on my ships for this sort of thing... I assume that the mod essentially contains a .dll for a module that records the data along with a part that uses this module. So is there any reason I couldn't use a MM config to just put this module into all command pods?

Thanks!

Does using it give you science? If no, why move it so far in tech tree? IMO it should be something available pretty early.

Where do you think it should be in the tech tree? I don't play career mode, so I'm likely to just make it available right from the beginning.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't see much more info on the website. Could someone lay out more of what this mod does exactly?

What data can it track? Is the data only visible on the in-game graph I see or can it be exported to a spreadsheet for further use?

I'm not a big fan of sticking extra parts on my ships for this sort of thing... I assume that the mod essentially contains a .dll for a module that records the data along with a part that uses this module. So is there any reason I couldn't use a MM config to just put this module into all command pods?

Thanks!

I should write up some more info. < On my list.

EDIT: It can track flight data, like altitude, speed, etc.; and sensor output, like temp, graviolies, etc.

That brings up an idea I had, to make Graphotron a non-part plugin that is activated by a hotkey/toolbar button. < On my list.

As for using MM config, I have no idea.

I'm currently working with the CKAN folks to come up with a long term solution for automated updates.

For anyone who is interested, the issue stems from the fact that we don't use 3rd-party sites, and our download URL changes with each update.

Once I get this finalized, I'll update here and send out an email blast to subscribers.

I am seriously loving this mod. I'm currently using it for some terminal velocity analysis. Here's the terminal velocity for a one-ton, 1.25 m payload with drag minimized, along with a second graph showing how barometric pressure at Kerbin's equator varies by altitude. I graphed the raw CSV data in Excel--nothing fancy.

tumblr_nny8idFutW1tadoxto1_1280.png

tumblr_nny8idFutW1tadoxto2_1280.png

I am seriously loving this mod. I'm currently using it for some terminal velocity analysis. Here's the terminal velocity for a one-ton, 1.25 m payload with drag minimized, along with a second graph showing how barometric pressure at Kerbin's equator varies by altitude. I graphed the raw CSV data in Excel--nothing fancy.

https://36.media.tumblr.com/1b9d123d65e4f99578dd5870e3c4a909/tumblr_nny8idFutW1tadoxto1_1280.png

https://36.media.tumblr.com/b5a8cdbe0d3ff66877253af5f7f48780/tumblr_nny8idFutW1tadoxto2_1280.png

Nice!

I'd put it in basicScience, and keep it a part because I like blinkenlights in my service modules.

No offense to anyone, but having a part mounted purely for more bleeping lights is not what I'd call good engineering practice.

I vote for part-less.

It seems basicScience wins the day - I will make it so.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems basicScience wins the day - I will make it so.

EDIT:EDIT:EDIT: Done.

Edited by Ezriilc

No offense to anyone, but having a part mounted purely for more bleeping lights is not what I'd call good engineering practice.

I vote for part-less.

If you go part-less, any chance you could release the model? While I understand the textures need some serious optimization, I'm looking at this and thinking it'd be a nice prop for KAS/KIS, for those of us who make videos or engage in (dare I say it!?) role-play in KSP.

If you go part-less, any chance you could release the model? While I understand the textures need some serious optimization, I'm looking at this and thinking it'd be a nice prop for KAS/KIS, for those of us who make videos or engage in (dare I say it!?) role-play in KSP.

The model was done by DYJ, IIRC. You'd need to ask them.

+100 to getting this back into the world!

Is there a way to redirect where it sends data? I have some analysis software for our university sounding rocket that is love to send this data into.

Also, you could use MM to add the part to every command module. If you'd like a decent example look at "mechjeb and engineer for all!" mod. It's just the one MM file to add the partful mechjeb to all command modules.

The nice thing about going partless and using MM is that it won't delete out crafts in orbit if we have to remove the module or if it goes out of date.

Last question, how much data does it continue to send after initial orbit? Do your servers get crushed if I go to 1000x warp?

+100 to getting this back into the world!

Is there a way to redirect where it sends data? I have some analysis software for our university sounding rocket that is love to send this data into.

Also, you could use MM to add the part to every command module. If you'd like a decent example look at "mechjeb and engineer for all!" mod. It's just the one MM file to add the partful mechjeb to all command modules.

The nice thing about going partless and using MM is that it won't delete out crafts in orbit if we have to remove the module or if it goes out of date.

Last question, how much data does it continue to send after initial orbit? Do your servers get crushed if I go to 1000x warp?

I think you may misunderstand. I don't think it's sending data anywhere but to a .png image, and/or a .csv text file on your local machine. It's not sending any data to our server or any other, AFAIK.

Not sure if the changes every got incorporated but I remember the part had *crazy* large textures for what it was. The buttons were something like 1k pixel maps for each button. If no one's taken care of it yet I can send you a pull request with more appropriately sized textures.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

If the current textures are still huge, then yes, we would want to fix that, but I honestly don't know what has been done prior to our takeover.

We currently have a bit of a backlog of issues to address regarding support of our mods, but I want to check this and make sure we're in the best shape we can be.

That is... if we decide to keep the part at all. We may go part-less, precluding the need for any textures at all.

I still vote for a part.

Sticking this part to a vessel would feel like making a research craft. Imagine people at NASA building X-15 plane, and then stuffing it with all kinds of electronics, sensors, self recorders, etc, to get the data they needed. You'll remove this kind of magic from the game if you go partless.

I still vote for a part.

Sticking this part to a vessel would feel like making a research craft. Imagine people at NASA building X-15 plane, and then stuffing it with all kinds of electronics, sensors, self recorders, etc, to get the data they needed. You'll remove this kind of magic from the game if you go partless.

A compelling argument. :huh:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.