[Part] [1.9] Graphotron [v1.5.1, March 9, 2020] - Track & Plot Sensor & Flight Data

Ezriilc

yaaaaaaaaayy (runs around flailing his arms in the air aaaand jumps off a cliff)

jokes aside thanks for this guys its a awesome piece of news :cool:

Excellent Kermit impression, and you're very welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

My vote is for pat as well.

I think you all are changing my mind.

I'm so happy to see this back. How difficult would it be to have a "Save to CSV" button to the part's right-click menu? I'm personally not all that interested in in-flight graphs, but post-facto analysis is really great, so pulling up the graphotron gui is sometimes meh and eats up screen.

It'd be even better if you required an antenna to "transmit" the csv data back, or you got the data saved to csv on recovery. Maybe even earn science for that.

I'm so happy to see this back. How difficult would it be to have a "Save to CSV" button to the part's right-click menu? I'm personally not all that interested in in-flight graphs, but post-facto analysis is really great, so pulling up the graphotron gui is sometimes meh and eats up screen.

It'd be even better if you required an antenna to "transmit" the csv data back, or you got the data saved to csv on recovery. Maybe even earn science for that.

Excellent ideas! < On my list.

I think you all are changing my mind.

You might as well go part. It's the best way to make both part and part-less parties happy. You'll have the extra work of whatever maintenance is needed for the part model, but the actual module can get MM'd into anything, like I do with kOS and used to do with Engineer before they offered a part-less option intrinsically.

Minor problem, but not really. It's outputting as tab delimited rather than CSV. Not a big deal given the nature of the data, but you might want to change the file extension to just .txt or use commas instead of tabs as the delimiters.

I am pleased as punch to see this back though. Thank you!

Ezriilc - I submitted a pull request with the textures sized down and converted over to DDS. Every little bit helps!

Merged. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Minor problem, but not really. It's outputting as tab delimited rather than CSV. Not a big deal given the nature of the data, but you might want to change the file extension to just .txt or use commas instead of tabs as the delimiters.

I am pleased as punch to see this back though. Thank you!

Actually, it is somewhat common to use any number of delimiters in a .csv file, tabs being the second most common apart from commas. If it's not really a problem, I'm inclined to leave it as is.

- - - Updated - - -

I just did another terminal velocity test, and I've posted telemetry, video, and commentary here.

Interesting...

Quick bug report.

Tried to place two inside the module bay container for symmetry and COG purposes (I'm OCD like that ok?), and when I went to bring up the GUI, it just showed a little grey box. When I removed one of them, the (Apparently) correct GUI appeared.

- - - Updated - - -

Another Quick bug report.

Tried to setup a graph with 25,000 datapoints. The graph window expands so far off the screen I got tire of trying to drag it back. Could we use a dynamically rendered scrolling plot to display the info ingame, say 500 pts max?

Quick bug report.

Tried to place two inside the module bay container for symmetry and COG purposes (I'm OCD like that ok?), and when I went to bring up the GUI, it just showed a little grey box. When I removed one of them, the (Apparently) correct GUI appeared.

- - - Updated - - -

Another Quick bug report.

Tried to setup a graph with 25,000 datapoints. The graph window expands so far off the screen I got tire of trying to drag it back. Could we use a dynamically rendered scrolling plot to display the info ingame, say 500 pts max?

Two good ones. < On my list.

Hello,

I use the StockPlugins addon to put Graphotron as part of every pod. However, whenever I do so, my rockets will automatically fire all stages when loaded to the launchpad. I have reported it in the thread of StockPlugins (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99869) but I thought I'd let you know as well in case there is something weird going on with the module being added to arbitrary parts.

Hello,

I use the StockPlugins addon to put Graphotron as part of every pod. However, whenever I do so, my rockets will automatically fire all stages when loaded to the launchpad. I have reported it in the thread of StockPlugins (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/99869) but I thought I'd let you know as well in case there is something weird going on with the module being added to arbitrary parts.

Hello, I found an error on StockPlugins (the "FOR[Graphotron_Stock]" which isn't the directory of StockPlugins and which is useless when it is used with "AFTER[Kerbaltek]"), I will push an update on it soon. Thanks for this report Tivec.

My vote is for part-less. While yes, in real life we have to put parts on our rockets, the parts are comparatively MASSIVE in KSP, I mean the thermometer is about the size of jeb. Part-less KER and MJ are the only way I use them as I forget to add otherwise!

My vote is for part-less. While yes, in real life we have to put parts on our rockets, the parts are comparatively MASSIVE in KSP, I mean the thermometer is about the size of jeb. Part-less KER and MJ are the only way I use them as I forget to add otherwise!

That's a very good point, and also, IRL, the computer doing the tracking and plotting isn't likely to be mounted externally, where most KSP parts end up getting put.

There are good arguments on both sides of the part/partless issue. I'm torn and looking for a good reason to go one way or the other.

Another reason for the part - you don't need Graphotron functionality all the time. And if you have a part, you have a choice to get or not to get data: i.e. you either put this part of a vessel or you don't. If you're partless, you are unable to not have this data and additional buttons in context menu - the only way to turn it off is to unistall the mod.

Going part means more choice, more freedom, more flexibility.

Another reason for the part - you don't need Graphotron functionality all the time. And if you have a part, you have a choice to get or not to get data: i.e. you either put this part of a vessel or you don't. If you're partless, you are unable to not have this data and additional buttons in context menu - the only way to turn it off is to unistall the mod.

Going part means more choice, more freedom, more flexibility.

So yea - not making it any easier to choose... :huh:

Did you see this earlier Ezriilc?

You might as well go part. It's the best way to make both part and part-less parties happy. You'll have the extra work of whatever maintenance is needed for the part model, but the actual module can get MM'd into anything, like I do with kOS and used to do with Engineer before they offered a part-less option intrinsically.

The debate is rather pointless since people can have it both ways even if you ship with a part. Just add the module to whatever probe core you want with MM

Did you see this earlier Ezriilc?

The debate is rather pointless since people can have it both ways even if you ship with a part. Just add the module to whatever probe core you want with MM

Also a good point, even if it doesn't render the debate completely pointless.

well, it's pointless from an end user perspective, since either way we can have what we want under the current part-based release. But I do agree for you guys maintaining the part model and textures and stuff it's still an issue to consider

well, it's pointless from an end user perspective, since either way we can have what we want under the current part-based release. But I do agree for you guys maintaining the part model and textures and stuff it's still an issue to consider

What our users want is never pointless, and some may not be happy, willing or able to use extra tools.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.