[Part] [1.9] Graphotron [v1.5.1, March 9, 2020] - Track & Plot Sensor & Flight Data

Ezriilc

No worries about necroing the thread.  We don't get much activity here.

The part is included with the normal release, but not the BETA.  Since the BETA is just the .DLL file, you need to install the regular version first, then replace the original .dll file with the BETA one.  I will add some text about that.

EDIT: The part can be found in the Science section.

Edited by Ezriilc

1 hour ago, Ezriilc said:

No worries about necroing the thread.  We don't get much activity here.

The part is included with the normal release, but not the BETA.  Since the BETA is just the .DLL file, you need to install the regular version first, then replace the original .dll file with the BETA one.  I will add some text about that.

EDIT: The part can be found in the Science section.

Ok! 

Testing it out I discovered 3 minor glitches,otherwise the mod works perfectly in 1.9 @Ezriilc!

Exporting as a PNG does not work sadly :(
Exporting as a CSV exports an Excel sheet with a random flurry of numbers? Not sure if this is a glitch or just my ignorance towards what CSV means?
When time warping the graph seems to go wonky,though I think this is a limitation of KSP and not the mod?

Just now, nascarlaser1 said:

Testing it out I discovered 3 minor glitches,otherwise the mod works perfectly in 1.9 @Ezriilc!

Exporting as a PNG does not work sadly :(
Exporting as a CSV exports an Excel sheet with a random flurry of numbers? Not sure if this is a glitch or just my ignorance towards what CSV means?
When time warping the graph seems to go wonky,though I think this is a limitation of KSP and not the mod?

CSV stands for Comma Separated Values, and it's not really an Excel sheet - it's just that a spreadsheet is the best way to look at CSV files.  What you see in it will be a matter of how you imported it to your spreadsheet program.

BTW, I much prefer Libre Office, and its Calc component.  https://www.libreoffice.org/

I don't know if I'll be able to fix any of the glitches, but I will try.  Thanks for all your generous help!

2 minutes ago, Ezriilc said:

CSV stands for Comma Separated Values, and it's not really an Excel sheet - it's just that a spreadsheet is the best way to look at CSV files.  What you see in it will be a matter of how you imported it to your spreadsheet program.

BTW, I much prefer Libre Office, and its Calc component.  https://www.libreoffice.org/

I don't know if I'll be able to fix any of the glitches, but I will try.  Thanks for all your generous help!

Thank You for giving me something to do with myself! :D 

@Ezriilc Thanx, As Always, for keeping this going. ;)

With the BETA-1 recompiled .DLL being released *solely* as just the .dll, basically as a "patch" release, I see, while installing it, that the repo and release folder/file structure is a little confusing, and unnecessarily overly complicated.

If/whenever you get the chance to do a recompile, mebbe you could also re-arrange the repo/release package structure to the following, as recently posted/provided by @zer0Kerbal , elsewhere: (I added/hilited in green, a suggestion on where to save the exported CSVs)

this is the quasi-accepted-normal structure

• GITHUB
    • REPO
      • .version
      • LICENSE
      • license.txt/md/html
      • Changelog.cfg/txt/md/html
      • Readme.md/txt/md/html
        • GameData
          • ModName
            • Assets (where textures/models go)
              • xyz.dds
              • model.mu
            • Agents
            • Flags
            • Localization
              • dictionary(s) en.us.cfg
            • Parts
              • if many parts - use Squad/parts/ as an example
              • part.cfg's
            • Plugins
              • PluginData <-- (Save .CSV output here)
            • Sounds
            • Spaces
            • copy of .version
            • copy of license.txt/md/html
            • copy of Changelog.cfg/txt/md/html
            • copy of Readme.md/txt/html
      • Crafts
        • VAB
        • SPH
        • Subassemblies

just an example. hope I was able to communicate clearly the concepts.

Also, there doesnt seem to be a license file included *anywhere* in the repo? Might be a good idea to add that? vOv
Again, THANX. ;)

Edited by Stone Blue

1 hour ago, Stone Blue said:

@Ezriilc Thanx, As Always, for keeping this going. ;)

With the BETA-1 recompiled .DLL being released *solely* as just the .dll, basically as a "patch" release, I see, while installing it, that the repo and release folder/file structure is a little confusing, and unnecessarily overly complicated.

If/whenever you get the chance to do a recompile, mebbe you could also re-arrange the repo/release package structure to the following, as recently posted/provided by @zer0Kerbal , elsewhere: (I added/hilited in green, a suggestion on where to save the exported CSVs)

Also, there doesnt seem to be a license file included *anywhere* in the repo? Might be a good idea to add that? vOv
Again, THANX. ;)

Thank you for your input - I really appreciate it.  :D 

EDIT:  In case anyone here doesn't know, I'm not actually a C# coder - I've inherited these projects from much more skilled people than I.  I think of myself as something like a custodian.

I have added the LICENSE.txt to the repo (and to HyperEdit's) - that's very important to me and I don't know how/why it slipped my mind.

I was putting the .png and .csv output into the Screenshots folder to make them easy to find, but there is some corrective work needed in that regard as well, so yeah, it's needs some thought and/or discussion.

As for the folder structure, I'm still unsure if it matters much, and the suggestion seems even more complicated than the current one.  I've not really done much with it since I inherited the project way back whenever, and it's basically as it was then.

However, I am open to hearing why one way may be better or worse than any other, and if it really matters.  We've gone through this a couple times with HyperEdit, and I think my poor memory recalls there being good points for at least 2 different layouts.

Edited by Ezriilc
I aren't do code good.

17 minutes ago, Ezriilc said:

Thank you for your input - I really appreciate it.  :D

No problem. I enjoy trying to help improve mods, in what little way I can.

17 minutes ago, Ezriilc said:

As for the folder structure, I'm still unsure if it matters much, and the suggestion seems even more complicated than the current one.  I've not really done much with it since I inherited the project way back whenever, and it's basically as it was then.

Actually, I forked LGGs fork, and already did the re-arrangement of the folder structure. Unfortunately, I'm not a coder either. I can, sort of, do basic recompiles, and thats about it. :P
I looked at the code, and I think theres just a couple lines that define the output paths. I'm not sure how to change that to move the .csv files to the /PluginData folder. I think its a good idea to leave the .png outputs writing to the /Screenshots folder, I guess.. Unless someone presents a better case against it..??.. vOv

However, a BIG thing I noticed, is that the Part folder, specifically the textures, are HUGE, compared to what they could be. This causes the mod to weigh in @ over 15 MB! That is HUGE for just a (relatively) simple plugin and a single, tiny part.
I downsized and converted the textures to .dds, and got the whole mod down to just 256 KB. ;)

I'm checking to make sure the changes I made work. If everything is ok, i thought I would try a recompile against .NET 4.5 or 4.7.2 (I cant get 4.8 installed :( ), just to future-proof the mod.

Either way, I will submit a PR with any *successful* changes I make, for you to look at.

EDIT: Also, I havent used the mod in so long, I dont recall if it was supposed to have a toolbar button to actiavte the UI, or just the button in the part's PAW? :thinking:
If it currently doesnt have a toolbar button, i think i would like to see one added. As the case is, on my test-bed craft, I currently have the part mounted on a payload inside a fairing, which makes it difficult to activate the part's PAW. :P i could see similar issue if someone wanted to have it mounted inside a cargo bay, etc.

No offense to Olex, but i would like to see a new part model made... Something moar streamlined, for exterior useage.
Maybe I will try and throw something together... :thinking:

Edited by Stone Blue

Just now, Stone Blue said:

However, a BIG thing I noticed, is that the Part folder, specifically the textures, are HUGE, compared to what they could be. This causes the mod to weigh in @ over 15 MB! That is HUGE for just a (relatively) simple plugin and a single, tiny part.
I downsized and converted the textures to .dds, and got the whole mod down to just 256 KB. ;)

Holy kow!  That's crazy and thanks for doing that!

1 minute ago, Stone Blue said:

I'm checking to make sure the changes I made work. If everything is ok, i thought I would try a recompile against .NET 4.5 or 4.7.2 (I cant get 4.8 installed :( ), just to future-proof the mod.

That is excellent.  I believe the current recommended framework is 4.5, but that may be old information.

2 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Either way, I will submit a PR with any *successful* changes I make, for you to look at.

You read my mind!  Thanks again for all your time.  I'm wondering if we can wedge some testing in there somewhere as well - you probably intended to anyway.

4 minutes ago, Ezriilc said:

Sounds good to me, and I have no idea how to do that.  :/

Me neither, tho LGG has excellent docs up on how to do it.
Also, the UI needs a close-UI button. And maybe one to hide/unhide the buttons, so you can just have the graph by itself displayed... vOv
Also, text for the sources added, right in the graph display? vOv

Just now, Stone Blue said:

Me neither, tho LGG has excellent docs up on how to do it.
Also, the UI needs a close-UI button. And maybe one to hide/unhide the buttons, so you can just have the graph by itself displayed... vOv
Also, text for the sources added, right in the graph display? vOv

It would be great if you could check those with the existing issues and either add or update them.

Thanks again to all that have helped!  :)  We have a good working binary that tests well, including the folder structure, texture/model, and .png output fixes, but minus the toolbar button and hotkey.  However, when I try to build it myself in VS (to update the version number), I get tons of errors because I don't know what I'm doing.  I could just publish the working .dll we have as a BETA if anyone wishes, but EDIT: Never mind, it turns out that is the BETA that is already up, and it tested well for me.

It would be great to do a full release if anyone can direct me on what to do.

Here's the relevant discussion in the repo:  https://github.com/Ezriilc/KSP-Graphotron/pull/14

Here's the first few errors I'm getting in VS:

Error	CS0234	The type or namespace name 'Reflection' does not exist in the namespace 'System' (are you missing an assembly reference?)	Graphotron	...\KSP-Graphotron\Source\AssemblyInfo.cs	1	Active

Error	CS0246	The type or namespace name 'AssemblyTitleAttribute' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)	Graphotron	...\KSP-Graphotron\Source\AssemblyInfo.cs	6	Active

Error	CS0246	The type or namespace name 'AssemblyTitle' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)	Graphotron	...\KSP-Graphotron\Source\AssemblyInfo.cs	6	Active

Error	CS0518	Predefined type 'System.String' is not defined or imported	Graphotron	...\KSP-Graphotron\Source\AssemblyInfo.cs	6	Active

Edited by Ezriilc

@Ezriilc try deleting all the existing Reference libraries, and use these all instead. I had to use trial & error, but got the list down to these being required. vOv
BQ2a0Jm.png

Its because the Unity/KSP API changed drastically (again) in the 1.8.0 update.

Edited by Stone Blue

Good news, everyone!

Thanks to @Stone Blue, I was able to build the new version and it's now available on our site as a proper release.  It's been tested with KSP 1.9.1 and everything seems to work well, including the .CSV and .PNG file outputs, and the toolbar button in-game.  Whew!

I definitely could not have done this without the excellent KSP community (Best... Ever), and StoneBlue and @linuxgurugamer.  I'm forever grateful for them holding my hand through the process.  :D

EDIT:  OH!  I forgot @nascarlaser1, who did a bunch of testing.  Thanks!

Edited by Ezriilc
Gotta give credit where it's due!

• 5 months later...

Im wondering if I can use this to better analyze SpaceX style launches. As of now flight trajectory and MECO timing is my best guess based on payload mass. But then my booster lands with 300+ Dv :P. Id like to assemble a data set to make better judgment when it comes to said trajectory and timings. A way for me to go back and look at altitude, speed and I suppose acceleration for MECO times.

Edited by Motokid600

4 hours ago, Apurva Kawthalkar said:

Hello Modder, are you still working on the Graphotron mod ? anything new on the way ? 

Hello, User!

I am still taking care of Graphotron, but I'm not a programmer, so I don't really have anything planned beyond putting out fires if any arise.  Sorry :blush:

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, achen10 said:

I am trying to get the CVS files from my flights, but when I click Save to CVS I cannot find it in the Screenshots/Graphotron area. 

For clarity, they're actually CSV (Comma Separated Values) files and should be found in your "/Screenshots/Graphotron" folder.

I'm sorry you're having trouble, but all my tests show it working fine.  If you tell us more, like which versions you're using, where you're looking for files, etc., then we may be able to help more.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.