I'll tell you what rockets do fly well now...

Foxster

Darn, it looks awesome.

How far can it fly, though? Is there any chance making an SSTO like that with at least some payload?

It is an SSTO, it can just make 100km orbit OK. No payload though. Would need to add a lifter for payload.

Is there any chance making an SSTO like that with at least some payload?

It can make to 70 km orbit or more with a small satellite in an Mk3 bay in the middle.

Edited by gogozerg

• 2 weeks later...

My Tylo lander ended up having a retro look to it:

Oq8lcTy.jpg

It looks better after the side boosters are decoupled. I was proud of this mission, I took 10 kerbals to Tylo and back to Kerbin and the vessel looked really cool too.

EDIT: I found a second image during the ascent. The ship managed to get to a 30x30 km orbit with about 200 m/s DV to spare for rendezvousing with its refueling tug.

vdHMLGx.jpg

Edited by Kelderek

My Tylo lander ended up having a retro look to it:

http://i.imgur.com/Oq8lcTy.jpg

It looks better after the side boosters are decoupled. I was proud of this mission, I took 10 kerbals to Tylo and back to Kerbin and the vessel looked really cool too.

EDIT: I found a second image during the ascent. The ship managed to get to a 30x30 km orbit with about 200 m/s DV to spare for rendezvousing with its refueling tug.

http://i.imgur.com/vdHMLGx.jpg

Nice flag forest :D

wow, nice one OP, I build a copy of it, and this works like a charm. It's easy as pie to get to a 100km orbit, and technically, I end up with enough fuel to return, only sad thing is that this thing blows up from reentry heat, need to fiddle around with it a bit more. but really, really nice, just strap on some docking ports for refueling, and this thing can go who knows where :)

The one I built for Tylo could not actually return to the surface of Kerbin. I used a passenger ship to rendezvous in LKO to bring back my 10 kerbals. The ship landed just fine on Tylo though. It just happened that an aerodynamic design to get off of Kerbin made for a cool retro-style look in space. I especially liked the way the Mk3 passenger cabin hatch worked on the side with a long line of ladders reaching down to the surface - that reminded me of every space cartoon I saw growing up.

I decided to see if I could make something semi-practical out of this concept. What I came up with is the Tinship:

tinship.jpg

It has about 485m/s dV left after reaching a stable ~73KM orbit. Flying it was interesting, as the fins kept wanting to rotate it. Eventually I just let them and went to orbit at a 45-degree rotation from how I started.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.