Make Hot Parts Glow!

Although we already have (and will) have a way to measure the temp of parts of our rocket, I think a quick way to visualize it would be parts glowing dull red like the engine bells of rockets.

They already do; you just have to get 'em hot enough.

JjK8Yzu.jpg

You can see the gauges (and the glow, and the outlining that comes with the gauges) in my post above. For the F11 thing:

sgfWHCL.jpg

Be aware that the F10 gauges cause a memory leak; use with caution, and don't leave them open too long. The colour overlay is fine, though.

Edited by Wanderfound

I guess they do already, but not enough. Supposedly these things can survive temperatures up to 2000º (K?) which is hot enough to melt titanium. It only takes something like 800ºK for something to glow red, so even the things that fail at 1200º should be glowing orange by then.

Edited by thereaverofdarkness

Yup, the visible glow should happen much sooner.

Also - I feel as though active engines should actually emit light (yes they glow, but I mean actually cast light on objects around them.) A bundle of SRB's getting fired on the launchpad at night should light up the KSC like a Christmas tree. =D

Yup, the visible glow should happen much sooner.

Also - I feel as though active engines should actually emit light (yes they glow, but I mean actually cast light on objects around them.) A bundle of SRB's getting fired on the launchpad at night should light up the KSC like a Christmas tree. =D

I so want this! I was noticing that I couldn't see the ground at all on an especially dark night landing, and it seemed reasonable that when I got very close, the engines should cast light on it.

I mean glow (as in emit light due to heat) like the engine bells do as they heat up.

Again, they do. You can faintly see it on the wings in my first post. It's just that most non-engine parts will explode before they glow very brightly.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.