[1.0.2] Menu Stabilizer

a.g.

This is a small plugin I made for myself quite a while back, but seeing even Scott Manley complain in one of his streams about the difficulty of clicking menus from EVA when drifting past I thought I might as well upload it.

All the plugin does is make any part right-click menu freeze its position on the screen in flight when the mouse is above any part of it, thus making selecting the correct button a lot easier. If mouse moves away or the camera is rotated, menus pop back to follow their part as usual.

This plugin simply solves one small problem so there is no plan to extend it further in any way.

License: MIT

Download: MenuStabilizer.zip

Source on GitHub

To install, just put the dll file anywhere in GameData.

This is one of those tiny little "quality of life" mods that you see and then you think "Why doesn't stock do that?"

It's so much more user-friendly, and I have a feeling that the code behind it is less complex than the stock right click UI pop-up, since it doesn't need to move around the screen.

So, why does the more complex, harder-to-use thing get picked over the simpler, easier solution? I don't see any clear logical reason for it. And an illogical reason would be an oxymoron.

Great idea, can you put this on CKAN?

CKAN doesn't even work on my linux system because the system version of mono is too old or something. Also not sure what would be required to actually put anything on it.

CKAN doesn't even work on my linux system because the system version of mono is too old or something. Also not sure what would be required to actually put anything on it.

I think if put on Kerbalstuff.com appear on CKAN

Just post in the CKAN thread, the people there will take care of everything that needs to be done.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: actually this would be useful in the editor too. When you move a TweakScale slider on an attached part, the scaling moves the CoM and the right-click menu with it. Especially for large vertical parts, this can be extremely annoying.

Sometimes a fix comes along that makes one thing, "Why did nobody at Squad actually think of doing this?" Well done!

I'll humbly note that it's not nice to imply that "nobody at Squad actually think of ..." - it is often the case that you cannot do the things you want to do when working on a development project for one reason or another. I'm sure you meant no offense but I want to combat the general idea that "if only they'd thought to x, y, or z!"

I'm grateful someone found the time, skill, desire and wherewithal to not only do it but share it and I know you are too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This plugin simply solves one small problem so there is no plan to extend it further in any way.

Would a different plugin be able to make the menu click-and-draggable. I have a pretty long menu now with mods and when I get down to just a capsule on re entry it can hard or impossible to see option at the bottom of the menu even with this plugin. If not draggable then maybe scrollable? I don't know if this is possible so I was curious if your knowledge from creating this plugin may give you some insight as to if this would be possible to implement. Thanks love the stabilizer already!

Would a different plugin be able to make the menu click-and-draggable. I have a pretty long menu now with mods and when I get down to just a capsule on re entry it can hard or impossible to see option at the bottom of the menu even with this plugin. If not draggable then maybe scrollable? I don't know if this is possible so I was curious if your knowledge from creating this plugin may give you some insight as to if this would be possible to implement. Thanks love the stabilizer already!

Just drag your camera with middle mouse button and you'll see the rest of the menu.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.