[KSP 1.4.5] [x] Science! - KSP Science report and checklist (V5.17)

just wanted to say thanks for this mod.

No worries, glad you like it!

This mod combined with science alert makes the science grind actually enjoyable! Thank you so much.

Do listings populate dynamically? for example -- new Outer Planets biomes, etc.

Thank you!

I use the ever misspelled "Asclepius" http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/126515 and that works just fine. [x] Science also picks up most custom science. I've managed to get almost all the hard-wired string constants out of the source code except for the KSC baby biomes. It should work just fine with custom planets and new science parts.

Changing mods with the same save...

Adding or removing mods may cause your save to break but it will not be an [x] Science problem.

(Do make a backup first, someone will prove me wrong.)

Specifically, not only does [x] Science! have very few hard-wired constants but it always recalculates everything whenever anything changes. It doesn't handle things like recovery, labs or asteroids (yet) but the basic science is recalculated (very, very quickly) from scratch every time.

Edited by Z-Key Aerospace

hey,

any idea if this is compatible with 1.0.5? I am going to start a new career and hope to be able to include Science log with it from the get go :)

It sounds like it is very flexible / dynamic, with little hard-coded values, so hopefully will be ok. I'll try and report back!

hey,

any idea if this is compatible with 1.0.5? I am going to start a new career and hope to be able to include Science log with it from the get go :)

It sounds like it is very flexible / dynamic, with little hard-coded values, so hopefully will be ok. I'll try and report back!

Give it a go! :)

I'm going to wrap up my 1.0.4 game of Better than Starting Manned, but I'll jump into the main game with everyone else soon enough. This is one of my must-have mods, for sure.

I have a problem with this mod. If I go in the settings on the main menu and I go back to "Start Game".

When I click the "Resumed Saved" button, nothing happens. Same things for Training and Scenarios.

If I don't go in the settings, everything is fine.

KSP Ver.: 1.0.5.1028

X Science Ver,: 4.11

[quote name='D3M3T4N']I have a problem with this mod. If I go in the settings on the main menu and I go back to "Start Game".
When I click the "Resumed Saved" button, nothing happens. Same things for Training and Scenarios.

KSP Ver.: 1.0.5.1028
X Science Ver,: 4.11[/QUOTE]
I see this too, and can confirm that it started happening after installing X Science!. The mentioned three options change color upon clicking but otherwise there is no response. "Start new" brings up the window normally. It's not a major issue, but does require some extra restarting of KSP when trying to tune the performance (since some of the settings can be changed only in the settings screen accessed from the main menu).

Versions:
KSP 1.0.5.1028, Linux 64-bit under Linux Mint 17.2
X Science! 4.11

Otherwise, this is a very nice mod. Exactly what is needed for extracting some extra science when you're no longer quite sure which experiments you have already run in which biomes.

Two small suggestions:

Defining and saving custom filters? [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/102502-1-0-5-Sounding-Rockets%21-Start-small-Dream-big%21-0-3-1-2015-11-09"]USI Sounding Rockets[/URL] defines four experiments that are meant for early game (so Kerbin) only, and it would be nice to be able to somehow hide them for space and other planets/moons to clean up the list. (Preferably as an option. While I don't personally plan to equip my interplanetary cruisers with launchable sounding rockets, someone else might.)

Currently, 4.11 lists some biome and situation combinations that cannot actually occur (e.g. splashed down at mountains). It would be nice to filter these out, but I don't know if there's a programmatic way to determine which combinations are actually possible.

[quote name='Technologicat']
Two small suggestions:

Defining and saving custom filters? [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/102502-1-0-5-Sounding-Rockets%21-Start-small-Dream-big%21-0-3-1-2015-11-09"]USI Sounding Rockets[/URL] defines four experiments that are meant for early game (so Kerbin) only, and it would be nice to be able to somehow hide them for space and other planets/moons to clean up the list. (Preferably as an option. While I don't personally plan to equip my interplanetary cruisers with launchable sounding rockets, someone else might.)[/QUOTE]

I didn't realise that sounding rockets came with experiments! Thank you for telling me.

OK. I'm guessing that you could technically take the sounding stuff to Eeloo? I guess it would do something? If you want to restrict it to Kerbin or Earth then this will do the trick. So you find "\GameData\[x] Science!\science.cfg"
Change it to look like this

ScienceChecklist
{
CelestialBodyFilters
{
dmbiodrillscan = NeedsAtmosphere

HMI = NeedsStar, NeedsInSpaceLow
STEREO = NeedsStar, NeedsInSpaceLow

SRExperiment01 = NeedsHomeWorld
SRExperiment02 = NeedsHomeWorld
SRExperiment03 = NeedsHomeWorld
SRExperiment04 = NeedsHomeWorld
}
}

That will restrict the Sounding Rockets stuff to just Kerbin. The other lines are the default filters it ships with they are for DMagic and SolarScience.

[quote name='Technologicat']
Currently, 4.11 lists some biome and situation combinations that cannot actually occur (e.g. splashed down at mountains). It would be nice to filter these out, but I don't know if there's a programmatic way to determine which combinations are actually possible.[/QUOTE]

OK, this one is a bit of an old chestnut. All the experiments are possible. For example "Landed at Kerbin's Water" You can get that at Ice Caps. Some of the ice is white (in map view) - that's ice cap. Some is blue - that is water. Splashed at mountains and highlands is available NE of the launchpad. Find the big river delta and follow the river to its source in the mountains. Bring parachutes. Remember they don't slow you down as much at that altitude. Splashed at deserts and grasslands is W or the lauchpad. Real easy. Splashed at tundra and Ice caps - There is a lake N of the launch pad. The N shore is Ice Cap the S is Tundra. Badlands is a pain but I always find the right teeny-tiny lake in the end.

[quote name='D3M3T4N']I have a problem with this mod. If I go in the settings on the main menu and I go back to "Start Game".
[/QUOTE]

Sorry about the inconvenience. I'll have a look.

[quote name='Supermarine']Thanks for updating!

I noticed on the first page under "new stuff" that it now integrates SCANsat. Is this for version 4.11? I used it i 1.0.4 and found no difference...[/QUOTE]
Doesn't yet, that's a to do list. I've decided how it's going work. Haven't done it yet. Think I may wait until the dust has settled from 1.1 Edited by Z-Key Aerospace

[quote name='Z-Key Aerospace']OK. I'm guessing that you could technically take the sounding stuff to Eeloo? I guess it would do something?[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression that Sounding Rockets operated on StoredCharge instead of ElectricCharge, but looking at the part cfgs, it seems the latest version uses only ElectricCharge.

So yes, technically you could take the sounding experiments to Eeloo, and they should work. Maybe better to leave them enabled, then :)

Hmm, although... to think of it, looking at ScienceDefs.cfg in Sounding Rockets, SRExperiment01 and SRExperiment02 are meteorological and aeronomical experiments, respectively, so perhaps they should NeedsAtmosphere. On the other hand, they don't requireAtmosphere in the .cfg - maybe that should be reported as a bug to RoverDude. (According to the default results, "aeronomical" includes experiments on gravitational effects, so conceivably it could partly work in a vacuum, but the meteorological experiments "on local weather patterns" clearly should require an atmosphere.)

SRExperiment03 and SRExperiment04 are materials and engineering experiments (respectively), so logically they should work anywhere (and indeed the .cfg does not restrict this).

[quote name='Z-Key Aerospace']If you want to restrict it to Kerbin or Earth then this will do the trick. So you find "\GameData\[x] Science!\science.cfg"
Change it to look like this

ScienceChecklist
{
CelestialBodyFilters
{
dmbiodrillscan = NeedsAtmosphere

HMI = NeedsStar, NeedsInSpaceLow
STEREO = NeedsStar, NeedsInSpaceLow

}
}

That will restrict the Sounding Rockets stuff to just Kerbin. The other lines are the default filters it ships with they are for DMagic and SolarScience.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

May I suggest shipping this modification as an optional MM config with [X] Science!, similar to how some mods do? Would make it easy on the player's part to enable/disable it by just renaming a file.

Something like SoundingRocketsRestrictToHomeworld.txt with

[CODE]@ScienceChecklist[]:FOR[?x??Science?]
{
@CelestialBodyFilters[]
{
}
}[/CODE]

[quote name='Z-Key Aerospace']OK, this one is a bit of an old chestnut. All the experiments are possible. For example "Landed at Kerbin's Water" You can get that at Ice Caps. Some of the ice is white (in map view) - that's ice cap. Some is blue - that is water. Splashed at mountains and highlands is available NE of the launchpad. Find the big river delta and follow the river to its source in the mountains. Bring parachutes. Remember they don't slow you down as much at that altitude. Splashed at deserts and grasslands is W or the lauchpad. Real easy. Splashed at tundra and Ice caps - There is a lake N of the launch pad. The N shore is Ice Cap the S is Tundra. Badlands is a pain but I always find the right teeny-tiny lake in the end.[/QUOTE]

Aaaaaah! I've never noticed this! Thank you for the correction!

And again, thanks for the nice mod!

[quote name='Z-Key Aerospace']I didn't realise that sounding rockets came with experiments! Thank you for telling me.[/QUOTE]

By the way, regarding mods adding experiments, beside DMagic, Solar Science, SCANsat, and Sounding Rockets, there are (at least) also Asteroid Day and [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/136040-1-0-5-BETA-CactEye-Telescopes-Continued-0-6-10"]CactEye Telescopes Continued[/URL]. Edited by Technologicat
originally forgot about SCANsat

• 4 weeks later...
On 26.12.2015 at 4:43 PM, Z-Key Aerospace said:

Is that a real thing or do you have a mod?

Like Rodger said, it's from DMagic.

[X] see this, but not tracks progress. =\

Edited by Insane1
Can't add screenshots. So you're gonna believe me. = )

Hi, I am having a bit of trouble getting this to work.

I must say that this is the first time I am attempting to install a mod for KSP.

Along with this one, I also attempted to install Kerbal Engineer Redux, and this seemed to work fine.

Not sure if those two are incompatible.

Also, I saw it makes use of KSP-AVC and Blizzy's Toolbar, so I added those as well. But it does not seem to help.

Another thing I saw was on a youtube video where the guy talks about 64bit not being supported, is this still the case? Then this is most probably my issue.

Any instructions or extra information would be much appreciated. Would be awesome to have this mod working.

6 hours ago, Steviedm777 said:

Hi, I am having a bit of trouble getting this to work.

I must say that this is the first time I am attempting to install a mod for KSP.

Along with this one, I also attempted to install Kerbal Engineer Redux, and this seemed to work fine.

Not sure if those two are incompatible.

Also, I saw it makes use of KSP-AVC and Blizzy's Toolbar, so I added those as well. But it does not seem to help.

Another thing I saw was on a youtube video where the guy talks about 64bit not being supported, is this still the case? Then this is most probably my issue.

Any instructions or extra information would be much appreciated. Would be awesome to have this mod working.

What problems are you having exactly?  Icon showing but no science list?  No icon in a toolbar?  You don't really provide a lot of detail on what the trouble is.

[x] Science and KER are compatible.  KER however has not yet been updated for KSP v1.0.5 but tt still works for me.

Can you successfully add a tool to Blizzy's Toolbar?

I've successfully used CKAN to install mods.  Not everyone likes it but it does make my KSP experience simpler.  There are pros and cons to using it and if you can install manually it prevents CKAN from being the source of any install problems and you've eliminated one variable in your troubleshooting process.  Your milage may vary.

Yes, 64-bit remains unsupported.

15 hours ago, Brigadier said:

What problems are you having exactly?  Icon showing but no science list?  No icon in a toolbar?  You don't really provide a lot of detail on what the trouble is.

[x] Science and KER are compatible.  KER however has not yet been updated for KSP v1.0.5 but tt still works for me.

Can you successfully add a tool to Blizzy's Toolbar?

I've successfully used CKAN to install mods.  Not everyone likes it but it does make my KSP experience simpler.  There are pros and cons to using it and if you can install manually it prevents CKAN from being the source of any install problems and you've eliminated one variable in your troubleshooting process.  Your milage may vary.

Yes, 64-bit remains unsupported.

Hi Brigadier,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the little information, currently I can't see the icon at all. But in the case of 64 bit not being supported, this is most probably the reason then right?

Since I started with mods only yesterday I haven't tried anything else yet. Do you have a suggestion for a mod to add to Blizzy's toolbar? Just so we can see if it works.

I'll check out CKAN, maybe this can help me somehow.

Thanks again!

5 hours ago, Steviedm777 said:

Thanks for the reply. Sorry about the little information, currently I can't see the icon at all. But in the case of 64 bit not being supported, this is most probably the reason then right?

I can't say as I have never run 64-bit KSP and haven't paid any attention to what may or may not work.  There seems to be a thread here on it which might shed some light.

5 hours ago, Steviedm777 said:

Since I started with mods only yesterday I haven't tried anything else yet. Do you have a suggestion for a mod to add to Blizzy's toolbar? Just so we can see if it works.

Transfer Planner Window and Kerbal Alarm Clock are two I know work, and both of which you might want to consider for your game.  Both install their icons to the stock toolbar and you have to transfer them to Blizzy's through their own settings dialogs.

I wasn't clear enough so I'm going to assume that you can't see the Science icon on either the stock toolbar (located in the upper right) or Blizzy's toolbar (whose default location I can't recall).  If this is the case, try reinstalling the mod iaw the developer's instructions or via CKAN.  It should, by default, be on the stock tool bar.

Can you open Blizzy's toolbar's settings menu by clicking on the small down arrow on the right side?  If you can, select "Configure Visible Buttons" and see if Science is listed and enabled.

31 minutes ago, Brigadier said:

I can't say as I have never run 64-bit KSP and haven't paid any attention to what may or may not work.  There seems to be a thread here on it which might shed some light.

Transfer Planner Window and Kerbal Alarm Clock are two I know work, and both of which you might want to consider for your game.  Both install their icons to the stock toolbar and you have to transfer them to Blizzy's through their own settings dialogs.

I wasn't clear enough so I'm going to assume that you can't see the Science icon on either the stock toolbar (located in the upper right) or Blizzy's toolbar (whose default location I can't recall).  If this is the case, try reinstalling the mod iaw the developer's instructions or via CKAN.  It should, by default, be on the stock tool bar.

Can you open Blizzy's toolbar's settings menu by clicking on the small down arrow on the right side?  If you can, select "Configure Visible Buttons" and see if Science is listed and enabled.

CKAN did the trick! Thanks so much for the suggestion.

It is showing up and working as expected now. Also no problems with the 64bit as far as I can see.

Just keep in mind I have removed every mod I had and only went with the CKAN suggestion, and then installed [x] science.

Seems I just sucked at doing it manually. ^_^

Seems I just sucked at doing it manually. ^_^

The manual installation process is pretty simple in most cases.  Be aware that some mod developers would prefer not to deal with CKAN installations because it's been know to screw up the install.  This can result in more headaches for the mod developer when it isn't their problem.  People have complained in the mod thread instead of the CKAN thread.

I've had a CKAN-installed USI mod do this but I solved it by removing and reinstalling all of the USI mods via CKAN.

Glad it all worked out.

Edited by Brigadier

• 4 weeks later...

I'm testing a new version.  This is mostly a UI overhaul.

• The close button Z sorts correctly now.
  • The tooltips are now readable.
  • The settings all have long explanatory tooltips.
  • and (drumroll) [x] Science! now supports the F2 key to hide the UI

All seems to be going OK.

I'm hoping that the current situation will no longer keep widening the window but I haven't had a chance to test it.  If it gets too long it should word-wrap onto a second line.

Anyhow I'll release it somewhen but I'm swamped by work at the moment.  Christmas is over and everyone wants their websites updated in a spring-cleaning kinda way.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.