[KSP 1.4.5] [x] Science! - KSP Science report and checklist (V5.17)

Generally when things go wrong it's because you are out of RAM.

Have a think about KSP crashes and other such signs of RAM use like missing textures.

I have 8GB and I still run out of RAM.

More particularly - What do you mean by not working?

• Is the list empty of science subjects?
  • Does the window not appear?
  • Do the buttons fail to respond?

While you are at it please let me know that you are on the latest version of KSP.

In your KSP directory there should be a file called KSP.log

You could check it for the word Exception and also have a look for exactly this

[x] Science!]:

Make sure there is plenty of text in there. Have a good session, fly around a bit, click MechJeb and [x] Science! even if they don't work properly. Then completely exit from KSP and check the log file.

If you want me to have a look then bung your KSP.log into DropBox (or similar) and PM me a link.

I have both [x] Science! and MechJeb installed, although I rarely actually use MechJeb.

I almost always do my own flying and I get my flight data from a rather obtuse combination of both VOID and KER.

All the same just having both installed shouldn't cause problems in its self.

Good luck! Let me know if I can be of more help.

I have it installed and it was working but know it stopped. It is version 4.5. It stopped working after MechJeb v2 installation. Don't know why. Could you help me please. Thank you.

I'd like to pay forward some help I received when my KSP stopped working.

This may be common knowledge to most around here, but it was new to me when I found out about it a few weeks ago

and I've never had another crash since.

(even with 30+ mods installed)

PSA: run in opengl mode to reduce RAM usuage and enable mod addiction!

(outside link to Reddit)

hope that helps!

I think that I know why it is not working. I was playing in sandbox, hence, [X]-Space! does not show. When I went in science mode, it show up. So my problem was not a problem. Thank you anyway for your help.

I was playing in sandbox, hence, [X]-Space! does not show.

Amazing! Yes it turns itself off in the sandbox. That would be the simple explanation. Thanks for making me laugh.

- - - Updated - - -

It seems to me that KSP versions are a bit like buses. You wait for ages, then two come along at once.

Not only that but I missed 1.0.3 completely. When did that happen?

V4.6 will be

• Built against KSP 1.0.4
  • Correctly updates the completed experiments count when recovering vessels.
  • Window hides itself in the main menus.
  • And... DRUMROLL ...a close button! (Woo Hoo!)

Get it: http://themoose.co.uk/ksp/x-science-v4.6.zip

Or at: https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/808/%5Bx%5D%20Science!

It will, no doubt, be on CKAN shortly

Edited by Z-Key Aerospace

Small bug report/feature request: right now, [x] shows "Bio drill scan" from DMagic Orbital Science on the checklist for Mun and Minmus, among others. However, that research can only be done on bodies with an atmosphere, so it would be nice if it only showed up in the checklist for those bodies.

Generally when things go wrong it's because you are out of RAM.

Have a think about KSP crashes and other such signs of RAM use like missing textures.

I have 8GB and I still run out of RAM.

Just telling you, 8GB Ram should not be a problem at all, at least not with xScience.

My 3 last crashes (i'm playing ksp at least 4 days a week mostly for hours.):

KSP 1.0.2

Crash 1: Start 6/8/2015 2:49:51 AM | Crash 6/8/2015 4:34:03 AM | System out of memory!

Crash 2: Start 6/14/2015 3:44:43 AM | Crash 6/14/2015 5:19:41 AM | System out of memory!

Crash 3: Start 6/16/2015 5:05:12 AM | Crash 6/16/2015 8:45:10 AM | System out of memory!

System: Windows 7 64, CPU Core2Duo E6600, GPU GTX 560, RAM: 2 GB DDR2

Running only a limited set of addons to reduce framerate issues and keep stock feeling:

xScience, AnomalySurveyor Contractpack, EditorExtensions, Firespitter, Kerbal Engineer, ForScience Continued, NavHud, PreciseNode, Taurus HCV, ScanSat, SapceY, TacFuelBalancer, ThrottleControlledAvionics, Trajectories, KerbalAlarmClock, USI Lifesupport, Waypointmanager, Wider Contracts, Module Manager.

Updated to KSP 1.0.4 today, finished completion of 1.0.2 missions at the weekend.

Ah, no OpenGL-something.

greets, Tahib

I just started using [x] and the [x] window is always empty (nothing sciencey in it) and I can't do crew reports.

You do crew reports by right-clicking on the hatch of your command-pod.

If the option isn't there then maybe you are in a Sandbox game. Although [x] Science! shouldn't open it's window in that mode. Have a look in your log file and see if there are and exceptions listed in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Just telling you, 8GB Ram should not be a problem at all, at least not with xScience.

KSP 1.0.4 does seem to be a lot better.

EDIT: Resisting the temptation to install Scatterer, KW and Space-Y helps too.

- - - Updated - - -

Small bug report/feature request: right now, [x] shows "Bio drill scan" from DMagic Orbital Science on the checklist for Mun and Minmus, among others. However, that research can only be done on bodies with an atmosphere, so it would be nice if it only showed up in the checklist for those bodies.
Also SCANsat science dont appear on list and also vanilla science "recovery of vessel that returned from X"

Assorted mods with their own rules for science many of which only look like science. [x] Science! does it's best. I want to add some settings and more bug fixes in the next version but then I'll try and add more support for weird-and-wonderful mods. Bodrick's idea was an API which at least means that I don't have to change things every time someone brings out another mod. Unfortunately I suspect that it would just mean that nothing ever gets done.

SCANsat, vehicle recovery and the resource scan are on the list though. [x] Science! is supposed to support Orbital Science so I guess that something has changed.

Edited by Z-Key Aerospace

Just testing the new version. 2 new settings - "Complete without recovery" and "Check debris"

• Check debris

Instructs [x] Science! to look for science held on debris, may be you can still recover it?

• Complete without recovery

Recovered and on-board science are added together. If you have the maximum, it is shown as "Completed" even though you haven't recovered it all yet.

The big progress bar and the total in the top-left are changed accordingly. If you have "Hide completed science" ticked then experiments will be hidden.

This is my Lab Lander Mode. When there are no more entries in the list, you can go home.

NOTE: Just in case it isn't obvious, you don't actually get the points until you get the lab back. This is just about making the "to do list" more readable.

lab-lander-2.png

[x] Science! V4.7 is now out.

2 new settings.

• Check debris - Look for science stored in debris. Maybe something survived the lithobreaking?
  • Complete without recovery - [x] Science! will show maxed-out science as completed even if you haven't recovered it to KSC yet. Makes it easier to see what is left to do.

It's on Kerbal Stuff and will be on CKAN soon. Direct link is http://themoose.co.uk/ksp/x-science-v4.7.zip

Thanks for the positive feedback. A couple of things about the future.

First off - The last version of [x] Science! that I bunged onto CKAN caused the lovely CKAN guys to send me the following missive

Should it have a ksp_version_max or a flat ksp_version in case it breaks with whatever major ksp updates come down the line?

And thus was I gently reminded of the impending arrival of "Starship Breakage" or KSP 1.1 as it is more commonly known. Of course what chaos will ensue when it finally drops out of hyperspace in the Kerbol System is anybody's guess.

Second point is that I recently said

Assorted mods with their own rules for science many of which only look like science. [x] Science! does it's best.

Turns out that may not be entirely true. Disappointing? Yes! But it does mean that there is room for improvement. [x] Science! contains some constants and short-cuts - I think I can remove them and it will handle science mods, maybe not perfectly but better.

As I said before, I don't want to have to add magic for every damn science mod. (Lazy programmer is lazy / That way madness lies - I'll let you choose!) If I can make [x] Science! work as well as I can then that will be good.

So it seems to me that the immediate future includes fire-fighting 1.1 and Orbital Science/SCANsat support. I'm thinking that I shouldn't worry about 1.1 - just pretend it isn't happening and deal with it when it arrives.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the latest version, just installed it. I was checking for NRE's from another issue when I notice the following in my output.log file:

[7/18/2015 4:20:47 PM [x] Science!]: <Trace> (ScienceChecklistAddon) - OnApplicationQuit

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

[7/18/2015 4:20:47 PM [x] Science!]: <Trace> (ScienceChecklistAddon) - Unload

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ScienceChecklist.ScienceChecklistAddon.Unload () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EventVoid.Fire () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ApplicationLauncher.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

The 'test' I was doing consisted of nothing more than starting KSP, loading my saved Science game which opens at the KSC overview, then going to the Tracking Station, then back to the KSC overview, then to the VAB, then back to the KSC overview, and then exiting out of the program... nothing else, no other actions performed other than switching between those screens.

- - - Updated - - -

...I can supply additional information if you wish (output.log, persistent file, specs & other mods installed).

I have the latest version, just installed it. I was checking for NRE's from another issue when I notice the following in my output.log file:

[7/18/2015 4:20:47 PM [x] Science!]: <Trace> (ScienceChecklistAddon) - OnApplicationQuit

[7/18/2015 4:20:47 PM [x] Science!]: <Trace> (ScienceChecklistAddon) - Unload

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at ScienceChecklist.ScienceChecklistAddon.Unload () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at EventVoid.Fire () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at ApplicationLauncher.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

The 'test' I was doing consisted of nothing more than starting KSP, loading my saved Science game which opens at the KSC overview, then going to the Tracking Station, then back to the KSC overview, then to the VAB, then back to the KSC overview, and then exiting out of the program... nothing else, no other actions performed other than switching between those screens.

- - - Updated - - -

...I can supply additional information if you wish (output.log, persistent file, specs & other mods installed).

What mods do you have that specifically add science experiments which don't use stock modules? eg: Dmagic, Impact!, etc. Those might be negatively interacting with the mod (since it scans for the stock science module).

What mods do you have that specifically add science experiments which don't use stock modules? eg: Dmagic, Impact!, etc. Those might be negatively interacting with the mod (since it scans for the stock science module).

What I'm using ...

Clamp-O-Tron_APAS-1.0

FreeEVA-0.5.2

Hullcam_VDS-0.40

SCANsat-v14.1

StockBugFixModules.v1.0.4a.1

x-science-v4.6

Any plans to make the list of biomes match up with them being splashed down or not? Bit annoying to see "...splashed down at highlands" and other assorted nonsense.

This is badlands, but there are likewise lakes, rivers and such to be found in the highlands:

1kpVzTN.png

This is badlands, but there are likewise lakes, rivers and such to be found in the highlands:

I always thought that being splashed down forced a particular biome, I guess I've never landed in water near land.

I have the latest version, just installed it. I was checking for NRE's from another issue when I notice the following in my output.log file

It may be because you don't have Blizzy's tool bar. Maybe trying to remove a button that hasn't been created. I'll put in a fix.

- - - Updated - - -

I always thought that being splashed down forced a particular biome, I guess I've never landed in water near land.

You can get splashed at all the Kerbin Biomes and also landed at Kerbin's water. You don't get masses of science points but it is quite good fun.

It may be because you don't have Blizzy's tool bar. Maybe trying to remove a button that hasn't been created. I'll put in a fix.

Ah! Ok. Apparently not having Blizzy's tool bar is not an isolated incident for such incidents; I just recently had a similar incident here as well. Thanks for looking into it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.