[KSP 1.4.5] [x] Science! - KSP Science report and checklist (V5.17)

As it happens, and as normal internet question procedures demand, about 5 minutes after I posted that, I figured out both the forked Toolbar and (to my eternal frustration) that I hadn't needed it anyhow. *facepalm*

Thanks again for both the help and the understanding.

OK, KSP 1.1 is out and I have downloaded a copy.

I've got [x] Science compiled and it seems to be working.

No, I haven't uploaded it.  I'm going to test it.  I may have a copy out tomorrow.

I need to go through the log file and then try upgrading KSC facilities that was always the biggest problem.

Just hang in there OK?  It's 1.30am here I'm off to bed.

More than fair - my only question regards the potential additions that have been discussed in recent weeks, in particular the constant position and mode type... I hate having to move the window around every time I load the game. Of course, if the goal is working copy first, than new additions, I'm certainly in favor of that as opposed to nothing. :)

Love the mod, the only problem with it would be the fact that it lists 'splashed down' experiments for land biomes and 'landed' experiments for pure water biomes. (Kerbin's mountains and and oceans respectively for example) Would it be possible to have either a setting or config option set experiments by biome type (removing the 'splashed down' experiments for land biomes and vise versa, with shore biomes counting as both) or to just exclude certain experiments from the list?

I understand why the list is that way, but the completionist in me is looking at it and going 'ragh' because a big chunk of the list is impossible to actually achieve.

@UltimFlare0:

Actually, it's not.  The situations you mentioned were once removed, but then it came out that it is possible to be landed in a water biome and splashed in a land biome.  You may need to tell the completionist to take a Valium, but the fact remains that all of those situations exist and can be found in the game.  For example, there are places where the ground dips below 0m; these always have water, but may not have a water biome.  That's how you get 'splashed in mountains', for example.  If you want to find all of these difficult (but not impossible situations), you can try @nightingale's Field Research mod.  It's a contract pack for Contract Configurator, and the 'rare science' contracts give locations for all of these if you also use Waypoint Manager.  It's not necessary: all of these weird biome situations exist in stock and you don't need to install anything to find them.  You just may find it easier.

And to add to @Zhetaan post, "Landed on Kerbin's water" is super easy to get.  For a crew report, just splash down and stand on your ship.  For the actual experiments, you'd need to do something similar, but with two ships (use a decoupler).  There should also be islands where you can get it in a non-cheaty way.

Here to report an NRE which mentions this mod.

output_log.txt

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6XmL37AFRVGTGhOTGJwV1ZZMzQ

NullReferenceException
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StopCoroutine (string)
  at ScienceChecklist.ScienceChecklistAddon.Unload () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EventVoid.Fire () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KSP.UI.Screens.ApplicationLauncher.OnDestroy () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Hello @Z-Key Aerospace,

first let me thank you for maintaining this great mod. I really would not like it if I had to manually keep track of all the science in my career games!
(Also thank you to @Bodrick for creating the mod in the first place - if he is still around).

Now I do have a question that is related to development as I've recently become a modder myself:

[x]-Science has a class TextureHelper that provides a method to simplify loading of textures from embedded resources.
I tried to replicate what that method does, but I can't figure out the code on Line 22

var iconStream = Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().GetManifestResourceStream(resource).ReadToEnd();

MonoDevelop complains that System.IO.Stream does not have a ReadToEnd() method - and of course there is no such method according to the .net documentation.
However there is a ReadToEnd() method in the StreamReader class, but that isn't referenced in the code as far as I can tell and GetManifestResourceStream(string) is supposed to return a Stream, not a StreamReader.

So how is that line of code even compiling? According to the commit comment of the class, that code is from Bodrick, but maybe you could help me to understand how this works.
I really just want to load a small .png file for a "settings" button similar to the one found in [x] Science! :)

42 minutes ago, Aerospike said:

*facepalm*
I feel really stupid right now for not discovering that class on my own. I even glanced around for a custom "Stream" class within X-Science ... no idea how I could miss this. :blush:

Thank you! :)

Don't worry - It took me a while to figure it out too.

5 hours ago, Z-Key Aerospace said:

[x] Science! 4.15 works OK on KSP1.1.1 but I have recompiled it any how.  I'll publish it now.

Much thanks as always. I am curious, however, if some of the discussed new features are inbound relatively soon or not? It's great as is, but a little quality-of-life enhancements (such as it remembering where you stick the windows from session to session) would be truly awesome.

23 minutes ago, Shadriss said:

Much thanks as always. I am curious, however, if some of the discussed new features are inbound relatively soon or not? It's great as is, but a little quality-of-life enhancements (such as it remembering where you stick the windows from session to session) would be truly awesome.

Depends what happens.  I am trying to get TAC Fuel Balancer working on 1.1.1 at the moment.  But I think TaranisElsu has moral authority to give the code to someone else.

Real Life tends to get in the way too.

Remembering window positions is probably my favourite for a next upgrade.  Actually getting the current count of un-maxed experiments and outstanding science points in a tool-tip WILL BE NEXT.  Window positions after that.  Or something else, so that's definite.

Much thanks Z. Still looking forward to those (not-promised-but-stronglyy-hoped-for) quality of life changes that've been discussed. Even without those - awesome mod, and very useful.

7 hours ago, naidis said:

I have DMagic Orbit Science installed, and xScience tells me I can do plant growth study, which I can't find any part to do that. Did I miss something?

I think the plant growth study is from the mod "Station Science", which may be why you can't find a part for it? Hope that helps!

On 2016年5月9日 at 7:15 AM, Bahamut said:

I think the plant growth study is from the mod "Station Science", which may be why you can't find a part for it? Hope that helps!

Finally found out it's from KerbalPlanetaryBaseSystems's greenhouse, made  for kerbalism's life support.

DMagic has added some new experiments to DMagic Orbital Science and they're all showing up as Biome Dependent. However, the situation is a little more complex. One new item is the Bathymetry, which takes data underwater at I believe different depths (in the science archives it says Bathymetry Data from Kerbin's WaterShallow), but not biome dependent.

The same is true for the new large telescopes, their experiments can only be done above the north or south hemisphere of a planet, but they're showing up biome dependent.

Is there any easy fix to the config to fix these experiments?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.