[KSP 1.4.5] [x] Science! - KSP Science report and checklist (V5.17)

@Z-Key Aerospace Awesome mod.

Just have one question, is there any way to make [x] Science remember the window "mode"? I always use minimized, but every time it reverts to showing me everything available (all biomes, all experiments), I looked at the config files and the settings but can't find how to change this to always default to current biome, available on vessel.

Edited by leomike

19 hours ago, leomike said:

Just have one question, is there any way to make [x] Science remember the window "mode"? I always use minimized, but every time it reverts to showing me everything available (all biomes, all experiments), I looked at the config files and the settings but can't find how to change this to always default to current biome, available on vessel.

Not that I'm aware of in the last version.

Pull Request:

https://github.com/thewebbooth/KSP-X-Science/pull/4

Lets you run experiments from the [x] science window directly. Supports any mod using ModuleScienceExperiment or @DMagic's animated modules (but not yet DMBasicScienceModule or the recon scans from that pack since they don't use standard biomes).

• Run Individual Experiments (one module at a time)
  • Run All: These run the experiments currently displayed in the window (so it respects your filter)
    • Run All Incomplete Experiments (just one of each module)
    • Run All Incomplete Experiments
    • Run All Experiments On Vessel (just one of each module)
    • Run All Experiments On Vessel

Pics in Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by westamastaflash

On 05 June 2016 at 4:27 AM, leomike said:

I'll add more to that soon.

I am currently working on a test-rig for new functionality.  Actually that is done.  I'm now going to try and update [x] Science! and TAC Fuel Balancer with the new code.  I'm not sure how [x] Science is going to react but soon it should have resizable windows.  If I can get it to remember the current filter button and text then that will be great.

Someone has just sent me a ton of updates for [x] Science!  If it includes a magic fix for DMagics under water experiments then great.  Unfortunately the pull request includes a bunch of For Science style buttons which are in "the wrong place" but if I can fix Orbital Science problems then I need to do it for the benefit of users and also my sanity.

8 hours ago, westamastaflash said:

Pull Request:

https://github.com/thewebbooth/KSP-X-Science/pull/4

Lets you run experiments from the [x] science window directly. Supports any mod using ModuleScienceExperiment or @DMagic's animated modules (but not yet DMBasicScienceModule or the recon scans from that pack since they don't use standard biomes).

• Run Individual Experiments (one module at a time)
  • Run All: These run the experiments currently displayed in the window (so it respects your filter)
    • Run All Incomplete Experiments (just one of each module)
    • Run All Incomplete Experiments
    • Run All Experiments On Vessel (just one of each module)
    • Run All Experiments On Vessel

Thanks for the pull request - I'll have a look at your code.  I should warn you that I am currently trying to make the windows look less ugly - not more!

I wouldn't want to annoy WaveFunctionP those buttons are in For Science!  It isn't WaveFunctionP who has disappeared <xEvil grin>

Seriously, anything that helps with Orbital Science is much appreciated at the moment so thank you very much.

Edited by Z-Key Aerospace

On 04 June 2016 at 2:07 PM, westamastaflash said:

I'll be submitting a pull request once I finish debugging, but I've got it so that you can run the available experiments on the vessel. Even only runs enough of a given experiment to max out the science (e.g. if you have 10 goo bays, it will only run 5).

In case it isn't obvious this could seriously save me some time and do I appreciate it.  That window you modified is a "science report and checklist window" Those buttons need to go in a different window which is planned for V5.

49 minutes ago, Z-Key Aerospace said:

In case it isn't obvious this could seriously save me some time and do I appreciate it.  That window you modified is a "science report and checklist window" Those buttons need to go in a different window which is planned for V5.

Should be a pretty simple matter of moving the GUI elements to another window (unless you are planning on doing a real Unity 5 UI and dumping IMGUI). I wrapped all my calls to the DMagic code with reflection, and most of the actual experiment execution code happens in its own class, so it should be a pretty simple matter to move them to another window. I didn't see any code for this other window on github, I'm assuming you have it locally?

One of the challenges with orbital science experiments is that currently there is no way to precalculate the results of some of them - the Recon experiments don't define the biomes they support anywhere except when you run them. This is a limitation of the DMagic code, and while one could duplicate the logic inside the DMagic classes, I'd much prefer a way to simply call the experiment module and ask for all the situations that it handles.

If possible could there be an option/setting to keep one window? My screen is cluttered enough as it is with all the mods, and being able to filter the experiments to the ones I want to run with the filter checkbox is one of the reasons I wanted to add this logic to the mod. Note that these buttons only appear if you have selected the Current Situation (since that's the only case when it makes sense to have execution buttons that filter). I get that you don't want to step on another mod's toes, but to be honest the less mods I need to have installed for similar functionality, the better. Plus some of the automated science gathering mods have non-permissive licenses and mods tend to die quickly around this forum...

Edited by westamastaflash

• 2 weeks later...

Releasing new version V4.19

xScience4-19.png

20-June-2016 Built against KSP V1.1.2

• New button code to handle multiple buttons - ready for V5
  • New artwork for icons
  • New title bar icons
  • Compact mode use same icons as maximised mode
  • Separate settings window
  • New help window
  • New resizable window class - not on main window
  • Science totals tool tip contains onboard science
  • Filter text + state in settings

The main [x] Science! window proved too weird to allow a resize gadget.  I gave up in disgust and released a new version of TAC Fuel Balancer instead.  I also didn't make much headway with splitting the logic out of the main window class.  Everything else is done though.

On 10 June 2016 at 8:56 PM, drhay53 said:

Is there any way to avoid the KSC baby biomes in science.cfg? I use AvoidSrfLanded but the KSC biomes still show up.

I broke something.  That will be fixed in the next version.  Pretty obvious now you mention it.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a way to set the threshold at which xscience considers an experiment complete?  It's driving me mad having to gather 3+ surface samples from every place I go after transmitting the data twice just so I can have xscience not show me that there's still a negligible amount of science that I can get from recovering another sample.

For example, maybe I could set it to show any experiment where I have 80% of the data as complete.

Edited by LoBananada
More information

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like a science filter too (exclude experiments worth less than 1, for example).  Would come in handy after the mid-game, where .2 science just isn't worth going after anymore.

On 7/11/2016 at 4:05 AM, LoBananada said:

Is there a way to set the threshold at which xscience considers an experiment complete?  It's driving me mad having to gather 3+ surface samples from every place I go after transmitting the data twice just so I can have xscience not show me that there's still a negligible amount of science that I can get from recovering another sample.

For example, maybe I could set it to show any experiment where I have 80% of the data as complete.

How do you filter out the KSC baby biomes anyhow?  I saw someone using AvoidSrfLanded in the Science.cfg, but I missed how to apply that or exactly what it does.

Edited by Sarxis

Is anyone using the "Mission Controller 2" mod with [X]Science? 

"Mission Controller 2" has two parts that are science experiments but they don't show up under the [X]Science list. I figured it was an MC2 mod issue and checked the parts CFG file and saw that both the "Mass Spectrometry Tube" and the "Ionization Chamber" were listed under "category = Utility". Taking a wild stab in the dark, I modified the parts category to "Science" and added a tag for Science" but it still didn't seem to come up. THEN I found the reference to the [X]Science science.cfg file and added the following under the CelestialBodyFilters module. This seems to work, but wondering if I got the filters correct?

LanderResearch = NeedsSrfLanded
        orbitalResearch = NeedsInSpaceHigh

• 4 weeks later...

I have been busy with real life recently but I have now finished a build of [x] Science! with a new status window.

Currently the new window doesn't do a lot so I'm not planning or releasing it just yet.  What I have done is completely gut the current science window.  All the logic is held on other classes.

What I didn't want to do was have two window, each doing much the same thing, eating up CPU.  Now all the CPU intensive stuff will only be done once.

It was a fairly mammoth task but is now completed.  I'm hoping to get a new version out soon but between school holidays and a massive website we are building at the moment I don't have much time for KSP modding.  Actually, I'd have more time if I didn't keep playing FTL - and by the way that game doesn't event teach you rocket science.

Any how I notice that the next KSP version has gone into test.  I should have a stable [x] Science! release ready but whether the new window will be useful is still anyone's guess.  I have routines to play sounds and to stop time-warping but I need to add a science filter to the new window and join it all up.

One other thing.  I do remember that the KSP Devs were banging on about Linq and foreach.  The reason being (I assume, feel free to correct me) that they cause tonnes of garbage collection which can really slow things down.  I'd really like to rip all that stuff out but [x] Science! was built from the ground up on Linq and it's not going away just yet, there is just so much of it to remove.  Despite the all the Linq in there, I think [x] Science! is a pretty fast and low-impact Add-On so don't worry.  All the same, it does make lots-and-lots of small memory allocations and it filters them with Linq - that isn't going to change any time soon.  It is on the list, maybe in Version 6!

Any how - just to let you know that I am around and [x] Science! V5 is still on the cards.  Out real soon now so keep alert!

• 2 weeks later...

Will v5 have an click-to-run feature? Id really like to see that feature, as I hate setting up action groups for running experience or (worst) have to run them all manual.

[x]Science! was my first mod I used when I bought the game a year ago and its still one of the best/most useful ones!

On 20/08/2016 at 9:19 AM, Z-Key Aerospace said:

Despite the all the Linq in there, I think [x] Science! is a pretty fast and low-impact Add-On so don't worry.

I've been doing a bunch of testing, in an attempt to identify the mods causing GC stutter in my game.

Buggrit, forget everything I just (didin't) :P say, now I can't repro it. Benchmarking this GC business is a royal pain.

Edited by steve_v

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.