[KSP 1.4.5] [x] Science! - KSP Science report and checklist (V5.17)

This is a great mod, love its simplicity and functionality :kiss:

One thing I noticed: it seems like you are able to do science projects using the "here and now" panel, even if you have no active connection to the space center, when using the Remote Tech mod. Clicking the individual science buttons on the modules results in the correct error, but the here and now panel accepts retrieving science either way.

21 hours ago, JoshuaRaven said:

This is a great mod, love its simplicity and functionality :kiss:

One thing I noticed: it seems like you are able to do science projects using the "here and now" panel, even if you have no active connection to the space center, when using the Remote Tech mod. Clicking the individual science buttons on the modules results in the correct error, but the here and now panel accepts retrieving science either way.

It's the same for the Station Science mod: you can instantly research the various station experiments just by using the Here and Now window, even if you don't attach the prerequisite station modules. 

Feature request : if possible, please add experiment repeatibility counter with manual reset marker in "here and now" experiment listing.

This can help keep track of experiments that have limited collection capacity and need to be reset by scientist on EVA.

Very useful for missions with many experiments attached to crafts, and player should be aware of some experiments needing a EVA reset.

I received a nice set of changes in a GitHub pull request which I should have hammered into shape soon - it also included 1800 white space changes, Grrrrr!  Any how, tab-war not withstanding, some one called jsmcconn did actually do a good job of Ui Scaling and I should have that in a new version soon.

I was going to make the next release a bug-fix version, I know there are plenty to squash but I think I may try and add a couple of new filters.  Bugs are all well and good but I need to assuage my OCD.

I'd like to add a configurable text filter to science.cfg so you can eliminate "Kerbin Splashed Highalnds" and "Kerbin Splashed Mountains."  Current filters work with replacement star systems.  I want to filter for the stock Kerbin.

I'd also like to have a tick-box to remove "Difficult Science" eg flying at stars, flying low at gas-giants and may be most EVA reports before the Astronaut Complex is upgraded.  Stuff that may be technically possible and some one will want to try, but most of us aren't going to.  Been meaning to add this forever.

Need to get on with real work but the new [x] Science! is ready to go.  I'll get it uploaded ASAP.  Just quickly then...

• Ui scaling
  • Difficult science filter
  • Text filters in science.cfg
  • Updated help

For the difficult science just tick the box in the settings window.

For the text filtering - add a line to science.cfg in the appropriate section.  You can use "|" and "-" for OR and NOT.  To check your filter type it into the science report window filter 'cos it is the same parser.  Any science left in the report window will be filtered out.

So both the new filters only remove a hand full of science in stock solar system (at least once you have the astronaut complex upgraded,) but they were annoying me.

Difficult science is

• Anything flying low or high at a star
  • Anything flying low at a gas giant
  • EVA report in space near a star (kerbals always explode)
  • With initial astronaut complex - EVA not on homeworld
  • With initial astronaut complex - EVA on homeworld in flying high, space near or space high. - Remember to press space-bar to make kerbals jump.

You can restore difficult science by turning the tick-box off in the settings window if your name is Whackjob or Scott Manley or something.

The difficult science should apply to modified solar systems.  The text filters will be dependant on the actual body names.

Thanks go to jsmcconn for the code he submitted.

BTW here is a good idea

TEXT_FILTER=-Dres

"Never visiting Dres"

Need to get on with real work but the new [x] Science! is ready to go.  I'll get it uploaded ASAP.  Just quickly then...

• Ui scaling
  • Difficult science filter
  • Text filters in science.cfg
  • Updated help

Thanks for integrating the HiDPI changes.  Very fast turn around.

PkJELnm.jpg

So for some reason, the 4 experiments from RoverDude's Sounding Rockets mod will not show up in the [x]science window. They will however show up in the all experiments tab when I search for one of them, but only for kerbin. It's like the game hasnt recognized that I've unlocked the ability to do the experiments of the mun. Any ideas of what might be wrong?

2 hours ago, X1machinemaker1X said:

So for some reason, the 4 experiments from RoverDude's Sounding Rockets mod will not show up in the [x]science window. They will however show up in the all experiments tab when I search for one of them, but only for kerbin. It's like the game hasnt recognized that I've unlocked the ability to do the experiments of the mun. Any ideas of what might be wrong?

The Sounding rocket experiments are enabled only for Kerbin in [X] Science config.

7 hours ago, X1machinemaker1X said:

Any idea why that might be? And if I want to change it, should I just delete the 4 lines that disable the experiments?

I found discusion about this in this thread, that these experiments are meant only for Kerbin. You can use them everywhere, they are only hidden from [X] Science UI.

Just comment that 4 lines (two slashes on the begining of every line) or you can delete them. I did this too, because I'm using CTT which needs a lot of science :wink:

I'm not sure if this has been suggested already, (I see a pull request for it on github), but it would be wonderful if we could have an option to not stop warp on incomplete experiments. For stuff like the gravity scan, I don't want my warp to end every time I pass over the midlands, only when I find a biome I haven't transmitted data from yet. 

19 hours ago, waterlubber said:

I'm not sure if this has been suggested already, (I see a pull request for it on github), but it would be wonderful if we could have an option to not stop warp on incomplete experiments. For stuff like the gravity scan, I don't want my warp to end every time I pass over the midlands, only when I find a biome I haven't transmitted data from yet. 

Or experiments with more than X% done, for the same reason.  15 out of 100 science already because I transmitted a copy earlier, okay, stopping makes sense...  99.9 out of 100?  A fair bit less sense.  Make it a slider option or something. 

@Z-Key Aerospace I've been working with the guys over at GPP in tracking down a science related issue for that planet pack and came across a small issue with [x].  It appears (a small educated guess on my part) that any solar system that has moved/renamed the sun (in GPP's case the sun is replaced in whole by Ciro) that [x] will have problems detecting that some experiments can be run.  It goes a bit deeper though...

For this test I was using Sounding Rockets since those 4 experiments have a history of misbehaving for me in various circumstance.  All 4 experiments have both situation and biome masks set to 63 (run anywhere/any situation) but only have a "default = " definition and no custom definitions by body.  When I add the custom definitions for a body in GPP, [x] still does not detect that the experiment can be run.  However, it will show up under Experiment Tracker which behaves identically to [x] when the custom definition is not present (no experiment shows as eligible).  You can see some screenshots below.  These were taken at separate times with only [x] or Experiment Tracker installed (never both).

Spoiler

You can see the experiments are available to run in Gael High Space...

flLFetI.png

Yet despite being present and available to run they do not show up as available on the list once I leave Gael (home planet)...

0bZBgNZ.png

And the same vessel with Experiment Tracker in Iota High Space as in the previous image with [x]

xHBif0Y.png

I discovered this quite by accident but since I use [x] instead of Experiment Tracker it would be lovely to see this little issue go away. :D  I'm not sure of what other mods may be affected in this way but will inquire with other GPP users to see if they know of any off hand.  I'm still not entirely sure what could be the root of this issue though since there are other experiments out there that do not have custom definitions for GPP and have both masks @ 63 but behave as expected...

Also, if this isn't something readily found/fixed would you prefer that I open this as a GitHub issue to track and test it properly?  I will be more than happy to provide you with any additional information or perform any tests you may like just let me know.

Edited by rasta013

On 19/03/2017 at 8:54 PM, fast_de_la_speed said:

I noticed that the "Highlands Splashed" science records have disappeared from the science list in the new update... I guess this confirms that there is in fact no known area with these biome combinations. (Thank goodness, i would search for it for hours with scansat)

I couldn't find them so I wrote a thing to turn them off.  You can put them back if you remove the last few lines from "science.cfg" which you will find in /gamedata/[x] science/

On 21/03/2017 at 9:23 PM, rasta013 said:

For this test I was using Sounding Rockets since those 4 experiments have a history of misbehaving for me in various circumstance.  All 4 experiments have both situation and biome masks set to 63 (run anywhere/any situation) but only have a "default = " definition and no custom definitions by body.  When I add the custom definitions for a body in GPP, [x] still does not detect that the experiment can be run.

We had a discussion on this very thread.  Sounding Rockets is artificially restricted to the home-world by [x] Science!  You can put them back if you remove the relavant few lines from "science.cfg" which you will find in /gamedata/[x] science/

So I've been working on a new version.  It was going to be a bug fix version and I have fixed it for the preview KSP 1.2.9.  However, if there is enough time, I think I am going to call it the "I swore I'd never do it edition."

Any how

• I have fixed a bug where the Checklist window shows the last situation your spaceship was in after you have returned to KSC.
  • I tried to find a reported exception that was supposed to occur if you open the Here&Now window before the science checklist window.  I couldn't see that so any more information would be wonderful.

I'd like to fix...

• Selected filter buttons in checklist window aren't being saved correctly.
  • Here&Now seems to be popping for biomes based on recovered science not recovered+on board science.

So the longer 1.2.9 takes the better.

However I have been distracted by this...

Imgur (http://imgur.com/a/jN3Qs)

I really did say I was never gonna do it.  I'm really not coding special cases into [x] Science! for every mod out there that re-writes the rule book.

(I'm using a little bit of reflection code that someone called ntwest pull requested ages ago, but I think it may actually have been lifted from another mod)

13 hours ago, Z-Key Aerospace said:

We had a discussion on this very thread.  Sounding Rockets is artificially restricted to the home-world by [x] Science!  You can put them back if you remove the relavant few lines from "science.cfg" which you will find in /gamedata/[x] science/

I totally missed that in this thread and apologies for not searching it beforehand.  I'm working on tracking down another weirdness with science definitions in GPP and this one had acted goofy on me.  Oddly, it helped expose the problem for me in GPP too but I didn't know this about [x].  Thanks!

23 hours ago, Z-Key Aerospace said:

I couldn't find them so I wrote a thing to turn them off.  You can put them back if you remove the last few lines from "science.cfg" which you will find in /gamedata/[x] science/

Just looked at this file and I see that splashed mountains is also removed. This is possible, thought I would let you know. It can be found in the lake high in the northern hemisphere almost directly north of the space center, where a flat piece of ice juts out into the water.

I've found a very minor bug. I am playing career mode on hard difficulty and science return at 30% (I know, it's pretty masochistic but it forces me to do a lot of sightseeing on Kerbin and go to places I would otherwise not go) and with OrbitalScience mod. The return of Telemetry Analysis on the runway is 0.1 point of science which is what [x] is showing and what I am getting for this experiment. When I perform the experiment though, [x] does not reckognize it and keeps reporting it as not completed.

I suppose this is a small rounding problem in [x]. I can try to reproduce it in stock if needed.

Regardless, this mod is an essential one for me - thanks a lot for your work on it and for keeping it updated!

Edited by Raphaello
for clarity

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.