[KSP 1.4.5] [x] Science! - KSP Science report and checklist (V5.17)

6 hours ago, John007qwe said:

You just have to overwrite the original dll with mine to make it work. Though if you read what I changed, I've disabled some stuff in the main science list to not include everything at once to reduce stutter, so if that's what you use it for, my dll won't be of much use to you. I've designed it mainly for use with the here and now window, as that's what I use this mod for. But you can atleast try and see if it does help with the stuttering :) 

What is the title of the dll? 

2 hours ago, John007qwe said:

There is only one lol

[x] Science!.dll

Ok thank you. I found the dll... it's hidden in an uncommon location. I had to go through all the folders one by one until I found it, but I got it installed and the dll seems to have mostly solved the freezing!!! It still freezes for about a half of a second, but it's much better than about 3 - three second freezes per science activity (9 seconds of freezing total per science)...

THANK YOU!

On 10/24/2017 at 5:50 PM, John007qwe said:

There is only one lol

[x] Science!.dll

Hmm, I just came here to report what might be the exact same issue. When I complete an experiment there is a brief stutter using both here and now and the [x] window. Is the advice that you gave to that other gentleman what I am looking for? I have a fresh install of KSP and have removed all mods except [x] and the issue remains. 

7 minutes ago, Alexology said:

Hmm, I just came here to report what might be the exact same issue. When I complete an experiment there is a brief stutter using both here and now and the [x] window. Is the advice that you gave to that other gentleman what I am looking for? I have a fresh install of KSP and have removed all mods except [x] and the issue remains. 

Not to answer for him, but yes, use his dll. It worked for me

2 minutes ago, Voodoo8648 said:

Not to answer for him, but yes, use his dll. It worked for me

Salivating increases..... I'll hunt it up now, any idea which page it is on? 

EDIT: never mind I found it. I didn't realise he had so few posts. Thanks for the help, I'll report back in a few minutes. 

Yep that got it, praise KRAKEN! This issue has been killing the game for me, Vodoo and John, thanks so very much for your help. 

Edited by Alexology

18 hours ago, Alexology said:

Salivating increases..... I'll hunt it up now, any idea which page it is on? 

EDIT: never mind I found it. I didn't realise he had so few posts. Thanks for the help, I'll report back in a few minutes. 

Yep that got it, praise KRAKEN! This issue has been killing the game for me, Vodoo and John, thanks so very much for your help. 

You're welcome :) 

On 10/13/2017 at 5:49 AM, John007qwe said:

All he needs to do is just make it only scan the current biome whenever you only have the "here and now" window open. What's the point of being able to see what science is available on 5 other planets if you're just interested in your current position? Doing that will reduce the cpu time required and remove 99% of the stutter. It should only scan everything when you're looking at the big list, which you can just close whenever you don't need it. And his solution of "getting a faster box" doesn't really work out when you already have a top tier cpu or close to, and still have issues.

This was the prospect of the ScienceAlert mod...you can see where "Here and Now" is inspired from :P

I'm using the modified .dll. Performance has noticeably improved, but I still get big lag spikes. They increase in frequency and duration as the game goes on, which makes me think it's a memory leak and the garbage collector is struggling.

12 hours ago, waterlubber said:

This was the prospect of the ScienceAlert mod...you can see where "Here and Now" is inspired from :P

I'm using the modified .dll. Performance has noticeably improved, but I still get big lag spikes. They increase in frequency and duration as the game goes on, which makes me think it's a memory leak and the garbage collector is struggling.

Try memgraph, it helps me a lot with that.

10 hours ago, John007qwe said:

Try memgraph, it helps me a lot with that.

I did, before I got this message, while researching KSC garbage collectors.

For anyone reading this, "a lot" is an understatement. It brought down the lag spikes from once every ten seconds to once every two minutes. 

On 09/10/2017 at 11:31 AM, John007qwe said:

Here is the 1.3.1 reduced lag dll. I haven't upgraded to ksp 1.3.1 myself yet, but it should work. If not let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cad7tc9wvcrx6dp/[x] Science!.dll?dl=0

You are a god among men sir. I was having insane stuttering and went through so many re-installs trying to find what mod caused it. It was so bad that for some reason, flying my science jet lagged me out progressively from 60 frames to 20 frames to eventually 2 frames without doing anything science related. Just flying. The second I swapped out for your dll, all was fine. Gold star for you.

cheers-to-that.jpg

20 hours ago, waterlubber said:

I did, before I got this message, while researching KSC garbage collectors.

For anyone reading this, "a lot" is an understatement. It brought down the lag spikes from once every ten seconds to once every two minutes. 

While John007's dll helped me, the mmemgraph did not help with the garbage collection very well I followed instructions and it only brought my stuttering from every 40 seconds to 60 seconds... Well you please tell me exactly what you did to get yours down to every two minutes??

8 hours ago, Voodoo8648 said:

While John007's dll helped me, the mmemgraph did not help with the garbage collection very well I followed instructions and it only brought my stuttering from every 40 seconds to 60 seconds... Well you please tell me exactly what you did to get yours down to every two minutes??

Depending on your total amount of ram (and operating system: Linux handles OOM far better than Windows) you can edit the "padhead.cfg" file inside MemGraph's folder. Just increase the max value (I think I use 2048 or 4096, I can't remember) and then hit Mod + End to allocate more RAM to KSP, and allow it to do GC's less often.

24 minutes ago, waterlubber said:

Depending on your total amount of ram (and operating system: Linux handles OOM far better than Windows) you can edit the "padhead.cfg" file inside MemGraph's folder. Just increase the max value (I think I use 2048 or 4096, I can't remember) and then hit Mod + End to allocate more RAM to KSP, and allow it to do GC's less often.

Cool thanks... I have 32gb of RAM.. What should I change the value to?

On 10/30/2017 at 10:25 PM, Voodoo8648 said:

Cool thanks... I have 32gb of RAM.. What should I change the value to?

I have no idea. Experiment. It's a compromise between memory usage and lag spikes.

I think mine is ~2048 or so

Edited by waterlubber

KSP 1.3.1, [x] Science 5.11

I'm experiencing a problem with a lack of persistence of the option settings and dialog box positions.  Although I have set these options in flight, map and tracking station, after each game restart, the options for Use blizzy78's toolbar and Right click [x] icon behavior don't carry over to the next time I run KSP.  I think the same is true of the Selected Object Window option but I can't be sure.  Certainly the window positions in all situations aren't persistent, either.  The Selected Object window keeps appearing in the middle of the tracking station window and almost minimized.  My changing the position and size doesn't seem to affect the position in next game session.

Log here.  Let me know if you need a .sfs file for review and I'll add another link to this post.

I've noticed recently that it often gets stuck in the wrong biome, and no longer updates with the currently available science.

Example

The only way to fix it is to completely quit the game and restart. I've tried removing almost all other mods, and still see this issue. Has anyone else noticed this? 

On 27.9.2017 at 12:46 PM, John007qwe said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fhvpbmngu3t7kkm/KSP-X-Science modified.zip?dl=0

I added a couple lines in ScienceContext.cs

line 385, 386 and 390

It should do that already as long as you haven't loaded a flight yet, as it loads everything the first time while in the space station.

I assume that while you're in the VAB _planet is null and therefore the functionality won't change in the VAB, right?

Because while I obviously hate the stutter, I also love to check with [x]science to determine what science instruments i need to bring with me for any given mission.

22 hours ago, Herbiems89 said:

I assume that while you're in the VAB _planet is null and therefore the functionality won't change in the VAB, right?

Because while I obviously hate the stutter, I also love to check with [x]science to determine what science instruments i need to bring with me for any given mission.

yeah that's what should happen, though if you've already gone ingame and generated the filtered science list, then back out to vab it doesn't refresh I think, so it might still not show until you save and load the game to force a refresh, which in returns sees that there is no defined planet and vessel, so it skips my filtering and generates all of the science stuff.

Edited by John007qwe

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, guys, I'm getting the lag spikes thing too, despite the fact that I installed that DLL from the previous page on this thread. Is there no way to fix this issue? I don't remember it being present several updates ago. What happened?

On 10/9/2017 at 6:31 AM, John007qwe said:

ere is the 1.3.1 reduced lag dll. I haven't upgraded to ksp 1.3.1 myself yet, but it should work. If not let me know.

Thank you. :) It's nice to come to a thread and see the answer to my question staring me in the face before I even ask the question.

Is possible to keep track of experiments processed into data in a laboratory? I try to always bring two copies, one for the lab, one for future recovery, but is hard to be sure nothing is missing.

I know is possible to process the same experiment in multiple labs, but I think that is too overpowered and I prefer to keep only lab per planet/moon. Any mod that alters that would be appreciated (so I could have more than one lab).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.