[KSP 1.4.5] [x] Science! - KSP Science report and checklist (V5.17)

Would it be possible to have this mod updated on Curse? I want to use Twitch to install my KSP mods because ckan doesn't seem to work for me anymore... but the version of this mod on curse is way out of date. Like from 2014. 

On 1/18/2018 at 11:13 AM, Tekaoh said:

Would it be possible to have this mod updated on Curse? I want to use Twitch to install my KSP mods because ckan doesn't seem to work for me anymore... but the version of this mod on curse is way out of date. Like from 2014. 

The question becomes, why isn't CKAN working for you?  Have you asked in the CKAN thread?

Also, I know [x] Science! is on GitHub (https://github.com/thewebbooth/KSP-X-Science) and Spacedock (https://spacedock.info/mod/234/[x] Science!)

2 hours ago, Brigadier said:

The question becomes, why isn't CKAN working for you?  Have you asked in the CKAN thread?

Also, I know [x] Science! is on GitHub (https://github.com/thewebbooth/KSP-X-Science) and Spacedock (https://spacedock.info/mod/234/[x] Science!)

I wish I knew. It started throwing exceptions and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I've been on their forums, yea.

3 hours ago, Tekaoh said:

I wish I knew. It started throwing exceptions and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I've been on their forums, yea.

I've found the CKAN will throw an exception if you have a mod that somehow got installed that conflicts with another mod that is installed. Could be due to manually installing, for example,  ForScience manually with DMagic Orbital Science. Or if you manually updated a mod, before CKAN could update it, and the update introduced a new file. It tend to confuse the client. Easiest way to fix is to export  your installed mods, uninstall everything manually, then reinstall from the .ckan file.  You might have to tell it to install from the file a couple times due to dependencies.  If you have any mods that you installed outside CKAN, you will have to install them again, or do without.

2 hours ago, armegeddon said:

I've found the CKAN will throw an exception if you have a mod that somehow got installed that conflicts with another mod that is installed. Could be due to manually installing, for example,  ForScience manually with DMagic Orbital Science. Or if you manually updated a mod, before CKAN could update it, and the update introduced a new file. It tend to confuse the client. Easiest way to fix is to export  your installed mods, uninstall everything manually, then reinstall from the .ckan file.  You might have to tell it to install from the file a couple times due to dependencies.  If you have any mods that you installed outside CKAN, you will have to install them again, or do without.

Hmm, I keep those tips in mind, thanks. I don't have any mods I installed manually. Even on a fresh windows installation, I find that CKAN worked once, I installed a few mods, and then it didn't work the second time. So I don't know. I guess I'll keep tinkering with CKAN instead of twitch. So much else is out of date on twitch too, so I'd be installing half the stuff manually anyways...

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason i have huge fps stutters whenever this mod updates the available science in the Here and Now window..
I havent played KSP in a long time, but remember using this mod without issues way back (like 6 months ago).
Now though, it basically freezes my entire game for 2 seconds everytime one of the following happens;

1. New biome or situation (even if no science items on my craft can do anything, it freezes even just when the Here & Now window updates which situation/biome im in)
2. Transmitting science (cuz this also triggers the window to refresh)
3. Keeping science
4. Clicking on button in Here & Now to open science dialogue, then closing it Resetting Experiment without saving it, still causes refresh thus 2sec freeze.
5. Going in our out of EVA since this also causes the window to re-check all available experiments, even if none available.

I really dont know why this is happening, even on vessels without ANY science items, or just a single crew pod with 1 kerbonaut landed on the pad.
The only thing i can think of is that im using the Gamelinx Planet pack. But surely that shouldnt cause 2 sec freezes?
Because it only happens with this mod, every other mod works fine, runs well, silky smooth 60fps. As soon as i close the Here & Now window everything is smooth, can EVA without freezes, can change biome / situation without freezes as im flying around, can do experiments, transmit data, everything, no freezes.

@Baleurion  A couple pages back there is a replacement .dll posted for that issue.   The OP has not been around.  I've looked for a replacement for the here and now window and could not find one, for me that is the best way to do science, laggy or not. 

Edited by eberkain

On 9.10.2017 at 12:31 PM, John007qwe said:

Here is the 1.3.1 reduced lag dll. I haven't upgraded to ksp 1.3.1 myself yet, but it should work. If not let me know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cad7tc9wvcrx6dp/[x] Science!.dll?dl=0

In case somebody reads about that .dll and doesn't want to search the whole thread for it

On 9/27/2017 at 5:46 AM, John007qwe said:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fhvpbmngu3t7kkm/KSP-X-Science modified.zip?dl=0

I added a couple lines in ScienceContext.cs

line 385, 386 and 390

It should do that already as long as you haven't loaded a flight yet, as it loads everything the first time while in the space station.

Note and linky going on the ro/rp0 1.3.1 build sheet,  Thanks a ton

People are telling me about issues with ScienceUtil.GetExperimentBiome() and a new update to Kopernicus.

ScienceUtil.GetExperimentBiome() is used to find which biome the current ship is in and something may be causing problems with [x] Science! and also Contract Configurator.

If you do get an empty [x] Science! window let me know.  You could try rolling back recent Kopernicus updates and see if it helps.  I've asked Thomas P if there is anything I can do.

Hey all, this mod is one of my "must have" mods for every time i crawl back to ksp.... and being so important to me, this is also my first post on these forums.

I find what i believe to be an issue (for me), with x science..... im not asking the author to add this request in, as im sure not many want it, but..... x science seems to be missing bathemytry (sp) data (which i believe is from dmagic science, but if its from something else, let me know) .... and also, it appears to be missing, at the least, highlands and mountains splashdowns, in the checklist. for me, who likes 100% science runs (and who has meticulously hunted down the mountains and highlands splashdowns, in 1.3.1.... thus, knows they exist), i'd like to be reminded by xscience to gather science at those locations, in case i forget after unlocking a new experiment.

if anyone could be so kind as to walk me through how and what to edit to add this capability, it'd be appreciated.

@Saiko.Systems The bathymetry would require custom support, as it uses non-standard biomes. 

@eberkain "Deep" water is anything under 100m (the value can be adjusted in the part's config file), and the part itself has to actually be underwater, so I think only the shore and water biomes have any areas that are actually deep enough for it. Maybe you can find one of those cases where a land biome extends far enough into the water that it would be deep enough, but there are none that I know of.

11 hours ago, Saiko.Systems said:

and also, it appears to be missing, at the least, highlands and mountains splashdowns, in the checklist. for me, who likes 100% science runs (and who has meticulously hunted down the mountains and highlands splashdowns, in 1.3.1.... thus, knows they exist), i'd like to be reminded by xscience to gather science at those locations, in case i forget after unlocking a new experiment.

if anyone could be so kind as to walk me through how and what to edit to add this capability, it'd be appreciated.

From memory, there is an option in X Science called something like "hide difficult science" that I always assumed hid the mountains splashdown difficulty type missions. I have no idea if that's why they don't show, but if you haven't already, you could try toggling that option and see if they appear.

On 11/13/2017 at 12:20 AM, aer71 said:

I've noticed recently that it often gets stuck in the wrong biome, and no longer updates with the currently available science.

Example

The only way to fix it is to completely quit the game and restart. I've tried removing almost all other mods, and still see this issue. Has anyone else noticed this? 

On 2/16/2018 at 9:22 AM, Z-Key Aerospace said:

People are telling me about issues with ScienceUtil.GetExperimentBiome() and a new update to Kopernicus.

ScienceUtil.GetExperimentBiome() is used to find which biome the current ship is in and something may be causing problems with [x] Science! and also Contract Configurator.

If you do get an empty [x] Science! window let me know.  You could try rolling back recent Kopernicus updates and see if it helps.  I've asked Thomas P if there is anything I can do.

+1 to these. Minmus, specifically, broke both this mod (thought it was still in high orbit over Kerbin) and MechJeb (Landing window blanked out) for me. Here's the specific error message: 

[EXC 19:51:29.422] IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
	CBAttributeMapSO.GetAtt (Double lat, Double lon)
	ScienceUtil.GetExperimentBiome (.CelestialBody body, Double lat, Double lon)
	ScienceChecklist.xScienceEventHandler.RecalculateSituation ()
	ScienceChecklist.xScienceEventHandler.UpdateSituation ()
	ScienceChecklist.xScienceEventHandler.Update ()
	ScienceChecklist.ScienceChecklistAddon.Update ()

Likely the issue does lie with Kopernicus, as I'm using it for OPMGalileo.

I have a problem:

It only shows me experiments of a body when I'm in that bodies SOI. So If I for example want to check where my next mun mission should land and what to bring with me I have to go to the tracking station and select a craft allready in orbit arround mun.

@maculator There are several filter options at the bottom of the "[x] Science!" window in the flight scene, which let you filter by things like experiments available to the vessel, experiments available right now (vessel + SoI), or all. Or you can search for something like "Crew Report Mun".

Are you saying these filters aren't working?

On 2/17/2018 at 2:29 AM, strudo76 said:

From memory, there is an option in X Science called something like "hide difficult science" that I always assumed hid the mountains splashdown difficulty type missions. I have no idea if that's why they don't show, but if you haven't already, you could try toggling that option and see if they appear.

I have that option enabled, it still isnt showing me splashdowns for mountains or highlands on kerbin

and to the others, who explained to me why bathemytry doesnt work, thanks, i'll just make sure i do them manually (and others i've since found.)... that is easy, however, just ensure i do them all when i unlock the experiment. nothing to unlock and forget about, in the case of "normal" biomes

On 2/17/2018 at 1:29 AM, strudo76 said:

On 2/22/2018 at 5:45 AM, Saiko.Systems said:

I have that option enabled, it still isnt showing me splashdowns for mountains or highlands on kerbin

I noticed this just today as well and was just on my way here to post about it lol. Splashdown in mountains and highlands isn't included in x science at all. My assumption is that the developer assumed these don't exist because mountains and highlands are, by definition, high altitude biomes and wouldn't include water. But as saiko mentioned, these in fact do exist if you hunt for them (or download the field research contract pack that includes waypoints to find them). It would be really great if we could add these situations to the x science checklist! In the meantime, the field research contract pack is really good for reminding you of rare splashdown science runs that you don't have yet.

16 minutes ago, Tekaoh said:

I noticed this just today as well and was just on my way here to post about it lol. Splashdown in mountains and highlands isn't included in x science at all. My assumption is that the developer assumed these don't exist because mountains and highlands are, by definition, high altitude biomes and wouldn't include water. But as saiko mentioned, these in fact do exist if you hunt for them (or download the field research contract pack that includes waypoints to find them). It would be really great if we could add these situations to the x science checklist! In the meantime, the field research contract pack is really good for reminding you of rare splashdown science runs that you don't have yet.

Don't assume and look at science.cfg in "GameData\[x] Science!" folder. There is TextFilters section, where you can add or remove your own filters, which will be applied to hide some combinations. Just delete "TEXT_FILTER = Kerbin Splashed Mountains|Highlands" and you'll see them in the list.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.