[KSP 1.4.5] [x] Science! - KSP Science report and checklist (V5.17)

On 10/20/2018 at 5:59 AM, RedBee92 said:

Make sure to deal with any problems anyone reports to you about your patch, since it is YOUR patch.

There is no warranty for the patch, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Except when otherwise stated in writing the copyright holders and/or other parties provide the program “as is” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of the patch is with you. Should the patch prove defective, you assume the cost of all necessary servicing, repair or correction. :)

1 hour ago, multiphrenic said:

There is no warranty for the patch, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Except when otherwise stated in writing the copyright holders and/or other parties provide the program “as is” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of the patch is with you. Should the patch prove defective, you assume the cost of all necessary servicing, repair or correction. :)

When did I bring up copyright holding and warranty? I'm just saying if anyone comes asking about issues they experience, and they downloaded your patch, then you should try and help them out.

Hey

I'm just maintaining releases until it's pushed to the main github repo located here: https://github.com/thewebbooth/KSP-X-Science

I'll keep pushing out releases until it gets merged into the main repo https://github.com/Flupster/KSP-X-Science/releases

Finally sorry @Gordon Dry all I'm doing is fixing any problems between KSP patches and the mod, I'm not developing or fixing any long term issues, I'm just making sure the mod works on the most recent version of KSP

On 10/20/2018 at 7:18 PM, Tekaoh said:

Looks like this mod is being updated for 1.5. https://github.com/Flupster/KSP-X-Science/releases/

The new release is just an hour old. Should be on ckan before long I would think...

If it's not an official build, then it will NOT be in CKAN.

I just checked CKAN, this version will not be there since thewebbooth is still listed as the maintainer.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 1:40 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

If it's not an official build, then it will NOT be in CKAN.

I just checked CKAN, this version will not be there since thewebbooth is still listed as the maintainer.

You're totally right, my mistake. Flupster's version won't be seen by CKAN. Is thewebbooth still maintaining this mod? In the meantime, I manually installed Flupster's update and it works great. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

So let me know if I'm way off base here, but I just thought I'd field the question because I'm curious... Flupster patched this mod for 1.5.1 and made a pull request to thewebbooth about a month ago but nothing has happened with it. Flupster's version works great, so if it seems like thewebbooth might not be maintaining this mod right now, is there anything we can do to make Flupster's release available to the masses? Maybe point CKAN at his release for now until thewebbooth comes back to it? Or is there kind of nothing the community can do if someone stops maintaining their mod?

2 hours ago, Tekaoh said:

So let me know if I'm way off base here, but I just thought I'd field the question because I'm curious... Flupster patched this mod for 1.5.1 and made a pull request to thewebbooth about a month ago but nothing has happened with it. Flupster's version works great, so if it seems like thewebbooth might not be maintaining this mod right now, is there anything we can do to make Flupster's release available to the masses? Maybe point CKAN at his release for now until thewebbooth comes back to it? Or is there kind of nothing the community can do if someone stops maintaining their mod?

If you ask me, I'd say that one month of silence is not enough to conclude the author has abandoned the mod. 2-3 months can be a good point, though.

7 hours ago, IgorZ said:

If you ask me, I'd say that one month of silence is not enough to conclude the author has abandoned the mod. 2-3 months can be a good point, though.

Alright, fair enough. I'll check back in another couple of months. In the meantime, I'm just running flupster's version. To anyone looking for this mod on 1.5.1, give his a try. Works great.

1 hour ago, Frostiken said:

Can we hide the impossible (or at least I think impossible?) science experiments? Like "Splashed down at desert" and "Landed at water".

Also how would one go about adding mod experiments to it?

There's a setting to enable or disable difficult science. Most aren't impossible, there are unique places to get things like splashed down at desert or landed at water. Other than that, in my experience it automatically finds any science available and things have to be expressly ignored to avoid things like experiments that are supposed to run over time.

Edited by Krakatoa

Has anyone using [X] Science! come across this error? 

[ERR 20:56:03.860] Exception handling event onNewGameLevelLoadRequestWasSanctionedAndActioned in class ScienceChecklistAddon:System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'MusicLogic.SetVolume'.
  at ScienceChecklist.ScienceChecklistAddon.onLevelWasLoaded (GameScenes action) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[GameScenes].Fire (GameScenes data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

I noticed it in my logs after starting a new Sandbox game running 1.5.1 and updating all my mods. I hadn't seen that before, but there are also a few comments on GitHub: https://github.com/thewebbooth/KSP-X-Science/issues/28

UPDATE: I guess it helps to read all the way through the GitHub issue/comments, because I see @Flupster commented last about a compiled binary.

I've just updated my KSP 1.5.1 game to release [X]Science! v5.18.1, but am waiting for the game to load, so we'll see if that resolves this (I'm sure it will).

Edited by scottadges

On 11/29/2018 at 9:51 AM, Frostiken said:

Can we hide the impossible (or at least I think impossible?) science experiments? Like "Splashed down at desert" and "Landed at water".

You can use a lake for some of those i think

On 11/29/2018 at 11:51 AM, Frostiken said:

1 hour ago, CttCJim said:

You can use a lake for some of those i think

Actually all of them. There used to be a contract pack for contract configurator that got all of them, with waypoints to guide you.

On 11/29/2018 at 5:51 PM, Frostiken said:

All are possible to archive, Waypoint Manager is a very useful tool to help, also "FieldResearch" & "AnomalySurveyor" contract packs are a great hint.
Just FYI  it is possible to splash down at Kerbin's Highlands.

.. sadly this mod is not quite maintained anymore, nor updated to latest KSP.

Edited by LatiMacciato

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Actually all of them. There used to be a contract pack for contract configurator that got all of them, with waypoints to guide you.

That's Anomaly Surveyor.  Look for updated releases for all that stuff in the next week or so.

EDIT for stuff I didn't see:

2 hours ago, LatiMacciato said:

All are possible to archive, Waypoint Manager is a very useful tool to help, also "FieldResearch" & "AnomalySurveyor" contract packs are a great hint.
Just FYI  it is possible to splash down at Kerbin's Highlands.

Jeez...  sometimes it feels like I've forgotten so much...  yes, it's Field Research that has those contracts, not Anomaly Surveyor.

.. sadly this mod is not quite maintained anymore, nor updated to latest KSP.

Working on it as we speak.

Edited by nightingale

48 minutes ago, LatiMacciato said:

I actually ment [x] Science! but nonetheless cool to hear!!

Awww, that makes me sad.  I almost took this one over before @Z-Key Aerospace stepped in.  Not something that would be in the cards these days (I hardly update my own mods...), but hope someone will come along.

1 minute ago, nightingale said:

Awww, that makes me sad.  I almost took this one over before @Z-Key Aerospace stepped in.  Not something that would be in the cards these days (I hardly update my own mods...), but hope someone will come along.

So far @Flupster's recompile works as intended. Great to hear mods are updating finally :).

On 11/29/2018 at 10:51 AM, Frostiken said:

I know that Landed at water is on the northern and southern ice shelves.  I landed a plane on the ice shelf after throwing Val out the back of the plane to go examine a monolith on the way.

@Flupster I only have KSP 1.5.1 so I don't know if the official build of this mod causes this problem, but after a few hours of uninstalling all mods then about 20 iterations of reinstalling a few, reloading, and testing, I have finally determined that your build v5.18.1 in combination of Kerbalism v2.0.0.0 causes massive stutter/hitching every few seconds while Kerbalism is transmitting science data back to KSC. No expectation for you to fix this, but thought you might be interested.

edit: Did a little poking around in the source. in xScienceEventHandler it does a refresh every second whenever the players science amount changes or science is sent to KSC. In Kerbalism, the data is transmitted constantly, so those events both fire constantly but just far enough apart so [x] is refreshing just about every second or two the entire time (could be minutes long or longer). The faster the data transmission speed (so closer to KSC), the more pronounced it is. Changing lines 257 and 263 to use (false, 5) instead of () stops the stutter entirely during transmission, as it delays the refresh until it's all done. There's still a single stutter when [x] finally refreshes, but that's normal behavior for the mod anyhow.

Edited by Sidelia
Poked and prodded in the guts.

On 12/15/2018 at 5:45 AM, Sidelia said:

@Flupster I only have KSP 1.5.1 so I don't know if the official build of this mod causes this problem, but after a few hours of uninstalling all mods then about 20 iterations of reinstalling a few, reloading, and testing, I have finally determined that your build v5.18.1 in combination of Kerbalism v2.0.0.0 causes massive stutter/hitching every few seconds while Kerbalism is transmitting science data back to KSC. No expectation for you to fix this, but thought you might be interested.

edit: Did a little poking around in the source. in xScienceEventHandler it does a refresh every second whenever the players science amount changes or science is sent to KSC. In Kerbalism, the data is transmitted constantly, so those events both fire constantly but just far enough apart so [x] is refreshing just about every second or two the entire time (could be minutes long or longer). The faster the data transmission speed (so closer to KSC), the more pronounced it is. Changing lines 257 and 263 to use (false, 5) instead of () stops the stutter entirely during transmission, as it delays the refresh until it's all done. There's still a single stutter when [x] finally refreshes, but that's normal behavior for the mod anyhow.

I just update the mod at this point to the latest version, I don't really make any changes, but looking at the ScheduleExperimentUpdate function, this would add 5 seconds to every event, just extending it from 1s to 5s?

// Schedules a full experiment update in 1 second.
		// In addition to the events we hook, this is also called bu the parent when
		// the system has been sleeping and wakes up.  Eg when the window is made visible.
		public void ScheduleExperimentUpdate( bool FullRefresh = false, int AddTime = 1 )
		{
			_nextExperimentUpdate = DateTime.Now.AddSeconds( AddTime );
			if( FullRefresh )
				_mustDoFullRefresh = true;
		}

Also updated [x] Science! for 1.6 over at https://github.com/Flupster/KSP-X-Science/releases/latest

Edited by Flupster

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.