[KSP 1.4.5] [x] Science! - KSP Science report and checklist (V5.17)

Will add to the disappearing button oddity; is disappeared between me going to main menu & returning to saved game (no exit ksp or mod update inbetween). Starting a new game also didnt resolve the issue. A full exit & retsrat of ksp did (just the wait while modulemanager sorts the mods). Bizarre but at least a restart fixed it for me.

10 minutes ago, Xuralo said:

Also had the disappearing button. For me, uninstalling "Contract Configurator (V 1.20.2)" fixed it. A shame though I have to decide between those two mods :(

For me uninstalling Contract Configurator brought back the buttons from several other mods besides this one. Contract Configurator may be the only mod doing the button menu properly but I have no real trouble deciding between it and a bunch of other mods. Nevertheless, a shame.

OK the new version of Contract Configurator has finally dropped onto CKAN so I need to get my finger out.  Please avoid it if you can 'cos it breaks everything.

I'll get [x] Science! out asap.  It would have been today but I promised to update Protractor which I also haven't done yet.  Turns out the weird assembly in Contract Configurator breaks the standard KAC Wrapper too.  Protractor links to Toolbar and KAC.  That foxed me for a while.

BTW TAC Fuel Balancer is affected by Contract Configurator too.  That's all three mods.

I'll do some testing but I really do need to go to bed at a sensible hour.  I don't take releasing a new version of a mod lightly so you'll have to wait for a little longer.  All three at once is kinda scary.

Can we have some indication that [x] Science has interrupted time warp?
I was searching desperately for hours to find out why I was thworn out of warp randomly evey couple of seconds when orbiting Kerbin.

The only clue was this "bubble" sound that plays whenever you get thrown out of warp which somehow made me suspect [x] Science.
I like to keep the "Science here and now" window open. But now that I know that it causes out-of-warp whenever the orbited biome changes,
Sure, you can deactivate it when you know what's going on. But this is a bit in convenient.
I guess other players will stumble over this too.

2 hours ago, Z-Key Aerospace said:

OK the new version of Contract Configurator has finally dropped onto CKAN so I need to get my finger out.  Please avoid it if you can 'cos it breaks everything.

I'll get [x] Science! out asap.  It would have been today but I promised to update Protractor which I also haven't done yet.  Turns out the weird assembly in Contract Configurator breaks the standard KAC Wrapper too.  Protractor links to Toolbar and KAC.  That foxed me for a while.

BTW TAC Fuel Balancer is affected by Contract Configurator too.  That's all three mods.

I'll do some testing but I really do need to go to bed at a sensible hour.  I don't take releasing a new version of a mod lightly so you'll have to wait for a little longer.  All three at once is kinda scary.

A lot of modders are being quick to blame the developer for Contract Configurator while that developer says he's stumbled upon a nasty bug in the default toolbar and hopes other mod devs are able to see what he's found and work around it. As a guy who likes BOTH of these mods and finds KSP just unenjoyable without BOTH, I hope the community is able to work together to sort this all out. I like BOTH of your mods, and if faced with having to choose between them, I generally opt to play something else. :(

On 10/23/2016 at 5:06 PM, Arcadian Del Sol said:

A lot of modders are being quick to blame the developer for Contract Configurator while that developer says he's stumbled upon a nasty bug in the default toolbar and hopes other mod devs are able to see what he's found and work around it. As a guy who likes BOTH of these mods and finds KSP just unenjoyable without BOTH, I hope the community is able to work together to sort this all out. I like BOTH of your mods, and if faced with having to choose between them, I generally opt to play something else. :(

So far, it seems your optimism is justified. I've been following the CC thread as well, and there are a slew of mods that have updated based on what Nightengale found and reported to the community. So far, it seems to have fixed it in all cases. So, a little more time and waiting, and all will be well. Way to go mod-devs! Politicians should take a page from your books on cooperation.

Hi! Can't believe it took me so long to get into automated science gathering... Right now I'm using "[x] Science!", "Experiment Tracker" and "Automated Science Sampler" to mop up every last scrap of missed science while orbiting Kerbin and flying by the Mun, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how well they seem to play together (no crashes yet...!).

There's of course a plethora of information up on my screen at once about the science available and what's happening with it, yet there's two really useful things that still seem to be missing.

1. A running total of how many science points I have accumulated back at KSC (i.e. "Have I got enough yet to get me that tech tree advance I'm desperate for, for my next mission?");
 2. A running total of how many science points are currently tied up aboard my ship - i.e., how much will my total at KSC jump up by, if I get the ship home (with all current experiments, labs etc. intact) and do "Recover vessel"?

The first total would need to be loaded on launch, and then updated any time science data is transmitted back to KSC. (I don't think any background events lead to KSC's science total(s) getting updated, do they?). The ship-board total however would need to be updated basically in all the situations where [x] Science updates its per-experiment and per-biome data.

What I'd like to be able to do is run with either ASS or ET controlling the gathering of new science, with "[x] Science!" just showing those two running totals unless/until I ask for a breakdown. Would that be possible to add?  (Or is there another mod I've overlooked somewhere that already does this?)

Thanks for reading. Great work on this mod, keep it up! =:o}

Edited by pbristow
(fixing typos)

37 minutes ago, pbristow said:

1. A running a total of how many science points I have accumulated back at KSC (i.e. "Have I got enough yet to get me that tech tree upgrade I'm despearte for for my next mission?");

This is covered by stock. There is a button in the toolbar, which shows current funds, reputation and science.

" This is covered by stock. There is a button in the toolbar, which shows current funds, reputation and science. "

There is? [GOES LOOKING] There is! Now why did I overlook that...?
[PLAYS WITH IT A BIT] Ah! I see why I forgot it ever existed. I always play with the resource panel open (i.e. showing remaining fuel, monopropellant, etc.), and you can't have both open at once.

Thanks for the tip. Would still be nice to see it (and the "total on ship") added to "[x] Science", but at least now I have a (partial) workaround. =:o}

Hi!

Just wanted to inform that the "URL" in the .version file  does not seem to be correct.
This causes AVC to not pick up on new releases.

And also: Thanks for investing your time and creating this mod!

5 hours ago, byte3 said:

Hi!

Just wanted to inform that the "URL" in the .version file  does not seem to be correct.

I cut and pasted the URL "http://ksp-avc.cybutek.net/version.php?id=2" from the file and the site that comes back has:

{"NAME":"KSP-AVC Plugin","URL":"http://ksp-avc.cybutek.net/version.php?id=2","DOWNLOAD":"http://kerbal.curseforge.com/projects/ksp-avc-add-on-version-checker","CHANGE_LOG_URL":"http://ksp.cybutek.net/kspavc/Documents/CHANGES.txt","VERSION":{"MAJOR":1,"MINOR":1,"PATCH":6,"BUILD":2},"KSP_VERSION":{"MAJOR":1,"MINOR":2,"PATCH":0}}

So it links to something.

First things first. I love [x]Science!

That said I have a question. I was wondering why my orbital telescope (and other experiments) was not in the science list.

Then I found this

>>science.cfg<<
		// [x] Science can't do custom biomes, just turn these off
		scopeScan =			AvoidAll
		dmSIGINT =			AvoidAll
		dmbathymetryscan =	AvoidAll

Which I guess is the reason => Not a bug :D

What sort of custom biomes? I did not know DMagic made custom biomes.... Isn't it just the normal biomes? I'm using KER to identify when I'm in a new biome..... But that is the stock ones as far as I understand it...

1 minute ago, Warezcrawler said:

First things first. I love [x]Science!

That said I have a question. I was wondering why my orbital telescope (and other experiments) was not in the science list.

Then I found this

>>science.cfg<<
		scopeScan =			AvoidAll
		dmSIGINT =			AvoidAll
		dmbathymetryscan =	AvoidAll

Which I guess is the reason => Not a bug :D

What sort of custom biomes? I did not know DMagic made custom biomes.... Isn't it just the normal biomes? I'm using KER to identify when I'm in a new biome..... But that is the stock ones as far as I understand it...

For the Little and Big Brother Cameras and SIGINT Scanners are these biomes Southern and Northern hemisphere and two depth levels for bathymetry sensor.

37 minutes ago, maja said:

For the Little and Big Brother Cameras and SIGINT Scanners are these biomes Southern and Northern hemisphere and two depth levels for bathymetry sensor.

Correct, but the scopeScan experiment is for the little, radial telescope. The big recon telescopes use: dmReconScan

10 minutes ago, DMagic said:

Correct, but the scopeScan experiment is for the little, radial telescope. The big recon telescopes use: dmReconScan

Wouldn't that mean that the setting should be 

dmReconScan 		= AvoidAll
dmSIGINT 		= AvoidAll
dmbathymetryscan 	= AvoidAll

So changing "scopeScan" into "dmReconScan", as the radial telescope uses normal biomes.

What about "dmbathymetryscan", is that one custom biomes as well?

On 30 October 2016 at 5:38 PM, byte3 said:

Hi!

Should be https://themoose.co.uk/ksp/[x] Science!.version, seems OK to me

On 01 November 2016 at 7:29 PM, Warezcrawler said:

So changing "scopeScan" into "dmReconScan", as the radial telescope uses normal biomes.

What about "dmbathymetryscan", is that one custom biomes as well?

The underwater stuff uses custom biomes too.  KSP just does "splashed"  I'll fix the scope in the next version.

Some progress...

here-now-2.png  here-now-1.png

• Bug fix - Icons invisible after going to MAIN MENU and back again
  • Display situation on Here&Now Window + MouseOver - number of experiments stored
  • Progress bars for experiments on Here&Now window.

I'll try and do the window position and settings buttons before I release the next version.

EDIT: Also added a ScreenMessages.PostScreenMessage() when entering a biome/situation.  It only shows the message if Here&Now is open, and there is work to be done, and we either play a noise or end timewarp (or both.)

Edited by Z-Key Aerospace
Forgot the screen pop

I just pushed out a version of [x] Science! for KSP 1.2.1.  Unfortunately I left a KSP-AVC XML file in the archive which causes a problem with CKAN.

With Spacedock and CKAN as they are I can't upload a replacement archive.  I've tried to add a 'b' to the end of the spacedock version number in order to persuade it to take the new archive so hopefully the new version (which is exactly the same except for the missing file) should be appearing instead soon.  Sorry about any error message you get in the mean time.

Once upon a time I hosted my own archives and published to CKAN by uploading config files to Git Hub.  When Kerbal Stuff disappeared the CKAN guys added me to "netcan" and put a stop to that.  Fair enough - I'm sure it was all just more work for them.  All the same, I really miss the lack of control when something like this happens.

I don't remember seeing this request addressed previously, so I'll put it out again to see what you think Z - if it WAS addressed and I somehow missed it on my recheck through the thread, my apologies in advance.

- Is it possible ot make the 'Hear and Now' window a subwindow of the main list window? For those of us who run a fair number of mods, we get a fairly long list of Stock App Launcher icons, and having two from the same mod takes up that much more space. The window itself I don't use anyhow (I use Automated Science Sampler for that functionality), but even if I did, I wouldn't want a seperate AppLauncher Icon for something that is still part of the same mod, if you get my thinking.

Regardless of that, my complements on all the work you've done - it's always been a good mod, and it's only getting better.

On 02/11/2016 at 10:42 PM, Z-Key Aerospace said:

Should be https://themoose.co.uk/ksp/[x] Science!.version, seems OK to me

The underwater stuff uses custom biomes too.  KSP just does "splashed"  I'll fix the scope in the next version.

Some progress...

here-now-2.png  here-now-1.png

• Bug fix - Icons invisible after going to MAIN MENU and back again
  • Display situation on Here&Now Window + MouseOver - number of experiments stored
  • Progress bars for experiments on Here&Now window.

I'll try and do the window position and settings buttons before I release the next version.

EDIT: Also added a ScreenMessages.PostScreenMessage() when entering a biome/situation.  It only shows the message if Here&Now is open, and there is work to be done, and we either play a noise or end timewarp (or both.)

I like the here&now windows, which is a nice replacement for science alert. But for some reason the DMagic experiments does not run when hitting the button (on my install - might be a confilct). Not ready or something, and then  you can go do it manually. Is that a bug, feature or just WIP to fix?

The window is still a great help, even though I have the above thingy...

2 hours ago, Warezcrawler said:

But for some reason the DMagic experiments does not run when hitting the button (on my install - might be a confilct).

Ditto here, message is "can't be done right now".

@Z-Key Aerospace: Please, a setting to disabe the warp-halt and irritating noise on biome transition, ideally a radio-button on the here and now window. The window is great, but this means I can't leave it open.

22 hours ago, Shadriss said:

Is it possible ot make the 'Hear and Now' window a subwindow of the main list window?

Seconded, the toolbar clutter aggravates my OCD something wicked. :P

6 hours ago, steve_v said:

@Z-Key Aerospace

Seconded, the toolbar clutter aggravates my OCD something wicked. :P

Thirded. I actually couldn't find there here&now window for quite a while. Kept looking in the options for the other window, but concluded (incorrectly) it must not have yet been ported to the current version. It just hadn't even occurred to me to look for a different toolbar item. (Plus it looked enough like another one I had to make my eye pass over it).

Not by any means a complaint. Just a suggestion. Your contribution of a very useful mod is appreciated.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.