[KSP 1.4.5] [x] Science! - KSP Science report and checklist (V5.17)

On 6/29/2017 at 6:37 AM, Z-Key Aerospace said:

Get a faster box!

I'm not so sure this is the the problem. I have a quite fast 8-core CPU and 24 GB ram and experience the same framerate stuttering others have described. The only real limiting factor in my machine is the lack of an SSD. However, I used Windows 7's resource monitor to check for spikes in CPU or HDD usage during the framerate stutter, and saw none.

6 hours ago, DaviBones said:

I'm not so sure this is the the problem. I have a quite fast 8-core CPU and 24 GB ram and experience the same framerate stuttering others have described. The only real limiting factor in my machine is the lack of an SSD. However, I used Windows 7's resource monitor to check for spikes in CPU or HDD usage during the framerate stutter, and saw none.

I have an i7 7700 16GB ram and installed on an SSD, and I get stuttering too. My limiting factor is gfx card (2GB 7870HD)

On 7/8/2017 at 3:19 AM, strudo76 said:

I have an i7 7700 16GB ram and installed on an SSD, and I get stuttering too. My limiting factor is gfx card (2GB 7870HD)

Now that you mention it, my graphics card is very outdated as well (Radeon HD 6770) with only 1 GB of VRAM, but I didn't put it in my post because it didn't seem relevant.

Even with my crappy video card, I keep all my graphics settings on max and this is the first time I have experienced any type of slowdown in KSP (been playing since version 1.0.2, and been modding since 1.0.4).

I never experienced anything like this with ScienceAlert :/ hope that doesn't come across as snide, I am certainly appreciative of your work and the extra features this has over the old ScienceAlert.

It seems that it doesn't want to exhaust the Atmosphere Analysis, only using it once and then showing it grayed out, even though the first experiment has been moved to a storage unit.

Infrared telescope keeps jumping out of time warp with every biome change but it's a 'global'(one type of science per body) instrument.

Edited by gendalf

On 7/5/2017 at 2:02 AM, Raphaello said:

Could you exclude Station Science experiments from the list? These are supposed to be executed while docked to a station and work differently from standard ones.

I've done it for myself (still on 1.2.2) but I think it makes sense to include it for everybody. This needs to be added to science.cfg:

// --- Station Science ----------------------------
		// [x] Science should ignore StationScience
		plantGrowth =			AvoidAll
		bioproducts =			AvoidAll
		eccentricKuarqs =		AvoidAll
		retrogradeKuarqs =		AvoidAll
		progradeKuarqs =		AvoidAll
		kuarqsBioproducts =		AvoidAll

@tomf I hope you don't mind this as the current mod maintainer:)

Did you just add these to the science.cfg included with XScience, or did you use your own file? I'd like to add some from Nehemia Engineering Orbital Science and want to know where to put the AvoidAll lines.

2 hours ago, strudo76 said:

Did you just add these to the science.cfg included with XScience, or did you use your own file? I'd like to add some from Nehemia Engineering Orbital Science and want to know where to put the AvoidAll lines.

science.cfg

@strudo76@maja

If my MM-Fu is good enough, this should work.

@ScienceChecklist
{
	@CelestialBodyFilters
	{
		plantGrowth =			AvoidAll
		bioproducts =			AvoidAll
	}
}

@Z-Key Aerospace Is "[x] Science!.dll" named specifically to make users worry if MM can use it in FOR, AFTER, NEEDS checks? :D

Edited by KerbMav

3 hours ago, KerbMav said:

@strudo76@maja

If my MM-Fu is good enough, this should work.

@ScienceChecklist
{
	@CelestialBodyFilters
	{
		plantGrowth =			AvoidAll
		bioproducts =			AvoidAll
	}
}

@Z-Key Aerospace Is "[x] Science!.dll" named specifically to make users worry if MM can use it in FOR, AFTER, NEEDS checks? :D

I'm not entirely sure, that this will work. I may be mistaken, but science.cfg is a plain config file loaded from dll.

15 hours ago, strudo76 said:

I've added this to science.cfg as @maja suggested. I think the best idea would be to make it a permanent addition to [x] too

Hey there :) It's probably been suggested already, but could it be possible to make the toolbar icon flash a few times when you enter a biome with un-run experiments? Science Alert used to do this but has since been discontinued and its pointless to have both installed anyways. If not too difficult it would make a nice feature so you don't have to have the window up all the time? Either way many thanks for creating this incredible tool :wink:

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Hoping to get V5.9 out before the school holidays.  I have work and invoicing piling up but I do have some time to spend on KSP.  We also already have 4 kids in the house because a friend has gone on holiday and left their children with us.  Mrs Z-Key said "yes" faster than I could say "no."

Should have this lot done for V5.9

* Rewrote window settings
* Added selected object information window to tracking station scene
* Added body information to selected object window
* Added vehicle information to selected object window - based on "Resource Details in Tracking Center" by avivey
* Setting to turn off selected object window
* Added StationScience experiments to science.cfg as requested

What probably won't be in the list is

Show presence of lab / stored science / controllable-or-not in the selected object window.

Allow completed state to be changed by settings.

They may need to wait until September hopefully sooner but it will depend on how things pan out over August.

selected-object-window.png

I need to finish the setting to disable the new window and then test it.  The issue will be if I broke the new settings code - that will muck up everything.  It was a bit of a worry but the old routines was just such an effort to maintain, I bit the bullet and rewrote it.

Edited by Z-Key Aerospace
Added image

I found this and fixed it...

* Bug fix - Checklist window didn't open on KSC screen after loading saved game.
  Calling GameSceneSwitch event after mod becomes "_active=true" to enforce visibility

Not sure when that turned up.  Maybe it was a 1.3.0 thing, maybe it never worked and I only just noticed.

I have also turned off a load of logging.  Anyone using DMagic should have a smaller logfile now.  I left that stuff in because DMagic support was new but I guess it's stable now.

I'll give it another test and then release V5.9 in the next day or two.  Code is on GitHub already if you are feeling brave.

Hi ZK - great mod, love it, thanks.  Came to the forums today to request that the Here & Now option to stop timewarp would only happen when there's an experiment that can be run.  It's annoying when I'm waiting for my orbit to pass over a rare biome and I keep getting stopped over and over again for the same few things, but I can't turn it off because otherwise I'll miss my target.

https://github.com/thewebbooth/KSP-X-Science/pull/16/commits/4a2a3b097d5b443b361cec69abc575b7c9fd38e9 looks like it's pretty close though, could you give his pull request a second look?

• 2 weeks later...

EDIT: Pretty sure it is being caused by the KSC Switcher mod. I figured it out because as soon as I got off the KSC on the ground the science readings would pop in fine.  It was only when at the KSC it wasn't working. After removing KSC Switcher, the KSC science readings started popping in fine. Possibly because the KSC switcher makes the science readings appear to come from that particular version of the KSC that you've switched to. I've just removed the mod anyway, I don't need it at the moment, but could be something to look into.

I'm starting a play-through with the GPP mods with KSP 1.3  and for some reason X Science is not notifying me of science on Gale ground. As soon as I take off, science is pinging me though. Anything that would cause that? Is there like a minimum notification setting or something? Most of the readouts are under 5 points, so was thinking perhaps there is a setting somewhere. Any thoughts?

Edited by marcushouse
Think it was caused by KSC switcher - removed mod... then it worked fine.

@Z-Key Aerospace, I have a question/problem that I want to run by you.  In Galileo's Plant Pack we have a couple of planets that have oceans, but not really.  The oceans are subsurface and are only there so that we can use HazardousOcean to produce excess heat.  It is not our intent that the planets actually have oceans; i.e. no one is suppose to see or even be aware that they're there.  However, when in the Tracking Station the Selected Object information window is showing that the planets have oceans.  Is there anyway to block or hide that?  [x] Science is doing its job and detecting the oceans, but in this case we don't want it to.

Edited by OhioBob

I know this has been reported recently and is most likely on my end but I'm also getting a few second freeze with the menu open. Trying to collect science or if a new event for science is found while the window is open it freezes for a few seconds. I'm on KSP 1.3 64bit Thank you for the wonderful mod it really is a must have. If i can resolve this issue it would be awesome

36 minutes ago, JeffersonFlight said:

I know this has been reported recently and is most likely on my end but I'm also getting a few second freeze with the menu open. Trying to collect science or if a new event for science is found while the window is open it freezes for a few seconds. I'm on KSP 1.3 64bit Thank you for the wonderful mod it really is a must have. If i can resolve this issue it would be awesome

Seeing this as well. The freeze also occurs when opening the main screen that has the overview over all experiments first time it is opened in any given scene. For the science here and now window, the freeze occurs when a experiment is performed and the list is thus updated. It doesn't occur on biome transition or the like so I suspect it has something to do with the experiment list parsing.

Edited by Three_Pounds

On 05/08/2017 at 9:59 PM, OhioBob said:

@Z-Key Aerospace, I have a question/problem that I want to run by you.  In Galileo's Plant Pack we have a couple of planets that have oceans, but not really.  The oceans are subsurface and are only there so that we can use HazardousOcean to produce excess heat.  It is not our intent that the planets actually have oceans; i.e. no one is suppose to see or even be aware that they're there.  However, when in the Tracking Station the Selected Object information window is showing that the planets have oceans.  Is there anyway to block or hide that?  [x] Science is doing its job and detecting the oceans, but in this case we don't want it to.

Try editing science.cfg.  You will probably need to add a text filter, so edit this section.

TextFilters
    {
        // --- Text Filters - Stock System-----------------
        // In the stock system these combinations are not possible
        TEXT_FILTER = Kerbin Splashed Mountains|Highlands

// [x] Science! is assuming this is in Shores not Grasslands
        // probly need a special case in code, banning it for now.
        TEXT_FILTER = Baikerbanur
    }

You can add any text to this section as a filter.  The idea is that if you can type it into the filter in the main science window then you can add it here.  Write a filter like

TEXT_FILTER = PlanetName|PlanetNameToo Splashed

That should do the trick

If you get it to work, let me know and I'll add it to the next release.

Edited by Z-Key Aerospace

I am releasing 5.10 so I can concentrate on Protractor.

Only change is that I am only popping the UI if experiments are runnable, as requested once or twice in carefully considered debate here and on GitHub.

I am excluding all Kerbal experiments from this check.  They always screen pop.  Otherwise you would never get notified of an EVA report.  Given that EVA reports and crew reports transmit well and can be stored easily I don't think this is a problem.  Soil samples maybe but hey - you're landed right?

So I'm prepared to accept feedback on this but I'm considering the issue resolved at the moment.  Generally the mantra is "do what Science Alert did" but that was ages ago and I can't really remember any more.

2 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

@Z-Key Aerospace hey how does this work? Does it automatically collect experiments? If not is there a way to make it do such?

This doesn't collect the science automatically. It just tells you when there is science experiments available to be run, and provides an interface with buttons to run the experiments, so you don't have to go hunting for the science part. There are other mods that do automate science, but I find this better as sometimes I want to save a particular "run once" experiment until I reach somewhere specific. Using this I can just not click the button to run the experiment until I get to where I want to run it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.