TLG Odd Spaceplane Challenge

The-Caspian-Sea-Monster.jpeg

Just one of the historic aircraft that you'll be tasked with creating and flying!

All the info and 28 aircraft in the challenge can be found here (ad-free): http://www.thelonegamers.com/2015/05/05/the-lone-gamers-kerbal-1-0-odd-spaceplane-challenge/

With Kerbal Space Program 1.0 released, I bring you The Lone Gamers Kerbal 1.0 Odd Spaceplane Challenge. Due to a bunch of great additions and changes to the game in regards to spaceplane functionality, this challenge is designed to get players familiar with the new properties of KSP.

The Odd Spaceplane Challenge

There are 28 odd aircraft designs here from history. Many flew, some did not. Your job is to replicate the designs and make them fly.

1. Replicate the design as closely as possible.

2. Get it to fly.

3. Anything beyond basic flight is icing on the cake.

Rules for Entries

Any entries that break the rules will not be counted. The individual making the entry will not be penalized beyond not getting points for the entry.

1. Screenshots are required of the craft in flight. They must show fuel levels, orbit stats (use mechjeb or kerala engineer or another such mod to accomplish this). 2. Video of entire flights uploaded to YouTube is a major plus.

3. Hyperedit (or similar editing) is strictly prohibited.

4. Upload all of your entries at once. They can be across multiple replies but preferably not scattered across a large timespan.

Include a list of mods used and their versions.

This is subject to change at any time.

1. Replicas will be judged by our staff and given anywhere from 1 to 10 points for accuracy to include function.

2. Replicas must achieve an altitude of 500 meters to receive 10 points.

3. Land at the island airport without losing parts for an additional 10 points.

4. Replicas that use only stock parts will receive a bonus of 10 points.

Edited by Yuka

I wish you posted the info on the thread. Like, I'd rather see all the info here, then on a foreign website.

Really, using a challenge as an excuse to promote your own website in the hopes of advertising clicks is not cool.

Really, using a challenge as an excuse to promote your own website in the hopes of advertising clicks is not cool.
I agree. I mean, if you link a website that gives useful info, or a mod website, I'm alright, but advertising for the sake of clicks, money ect gets on my nerves.

I'll copy and paste and form into a decent post when I get home. Sorry on mobile and the post was scheduled. I'm just eager to get the word out so I posted here.

The ads make the site break even with operating costs... so I can run the site without the wife complaining... the site (and running the server for it) is a hobby of mine. People find some of the content I post helpful. Also, I get some hands on experience with maintaining an Ubuntu-based webserver that I wouldn't receive otherwise. Geez. If you are really upset about seeing ads, I'll gladly disable them for this post.

This isn't some attempt to make money or anything. I'm using my site as a centralized location for information and submission because this challenge is being distributed in many locations, not just here.

Edited by Yuka

I'll copy and paste and form into a decent post when I get home. Sorry on mobile and the post was scheduled. I'm just eager to get the word out so I posted here.

The ads make the site break even with operating costs... so I can run the site without the wife complaining... the site (and running the server for it) is a hobby of mine. People find some of the content I post helpful. Also, I get some hands on experience with maintaining an Ubuntu-based webserver that I wouldn't receive otherwise. Geez. If you are really upset about seeing ads, I'll gladly disable them for this post.

Many of us run hobby sites and paid sites. Using the popularity of KSP to promote your personal site... with paid advertising... in the form of a challenge... bad form. Very bad. I'd suggest you remove the link to your site before a moderator does it for you and find another way to appease your wife, like chocolate.

Why would I use hyperedit on a challenge about replicating historical craft? And why would you not allow a useless tool like hyperedit but allow potentially useful things like really OP mods?

what are people thinking when they make these rules here, just blows my mind.

Hyper edit to place an unflyable design in orbit...

I don't see how OP mods will help someone accurately create an accurate model of these aircraft....

But you gave me an idea, hence why I said rules subject to change.

Edited by Yuka

Hyper edit to place an unflyable design in orbit...

I don't see how OP mods will help someone accurately create an accurate model of these aircraft....

But you gave me an idea, hence why I said rules subject to change.

You don't get any points for going into orbit?

The original aircraft were not intended to go into orbit. I was using that as an example.

Someone could use hyperedit to put their design at the threshold altitude and then on the island airfield.

Why would I use hyperedit on a challenge about replicating historical craft? And why would you not allow a useless tool like hyperedit but allow potentially useful things like really OP mods?

what are people thinking when they make these rules here, just blows my mind.

How about because you used hyperedit on my challenge when the rules explicitly banned it then nitpicked about the rules just like you are doing here?

How about because you used hyperedit on my challenge when the rules explicitly banned it then nitpicked about the rules just like you are doing here?

I don't participate in aesthetics challenges, where as I do participate in engineering challenges. I don't think they are related in any way.

TBH there can be real consequences... like someone getting really angry about the troller and then hacking them, etc, etc... anyway, back on topic!!

It looks like at interesting challenge, but are the recreation crafts only limited to what has been posted here, or can we recreate other crafts and link to the website/picture of the said aircraft we replicated?

TBH there can be real consequences... like someone getting really angry about the troller and then hacking them, etc, etc... anyway, back on topic!!

It looks like at interesting challenge, but are the recreation crafts only limited to what has been posted here, or can we recreate other crafts and link to the website/picture of the said aircraft we replicated?

Limited to the ones in the post for now...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.