Kerbal no longer available for missions. Isn't even showing up in roster.

I did a mission with 3 kerbals to up their XP. They returned safely, I saved and went to bed. I open KSP back up today and only 2 of the kerbals are showing, the scientist isn't listed anywhere and the other 2 kerbals do show their increased XP from the mission.

I looked in my save .cfg and his name is actually listed as planting a flag during the mission, but that is the ONLY place his name is mentioned in the .cfg file. Not sure where to go from here.

After searching the forums, the only other time people have mentioned this is after trying to move old saves over to a new version. This is a new save.

Update: So I had Jeb, Bob and Bill in my space station and went to rotate them out with a new crew. All 3 were brought back to Kerbin. I even did an EVA on Kerbin with Bob just to see if I could get some extra science. He got the science and I recovered vessel. Enter the astronaut complex and sure enough, he is listed as being on the station still, and not as available. Guess I'll just go hack this save file to pieces until it breaks all the way or gets fixed.

Edited by bsimms606
Meant Bob, not Bill

Just a thought... If you recover a landed vessel while a kerbal is on EVA, then this Kerbal is not recovered. You need to recover this Kerbal seperately.

Good thought, but I'm certain I put him back in. And wouldn't they be in the missing or assigned tab? Either way, I just hired a new scientist and made him level 3 in the save file. Don't really feel too bad about doing that seeing as that guy was level 3.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.