I am obsessed with service bays. (Many Pictures)

itstimaifool

You mean your service bays don't rip/destroy/annihilate/explode your ships??

Doesn't matter how clean of a build I have, the Service Bay = rocket destruction every time. I know I'm not the only one too, Twitch streamers get the same thing every time.

You mean your service bays don't rip/destroy/annihilate/explode your ships??

Doesn't matter how clean of a build I have, the Service Bay = rocket destruction every time. I know I'm not the only one too, Twitch streamers get the same thing every time.

Dont put them somewhere that will weaken the structural integrity of your craft, they are fairly weak.

Or simply put space tape connecting the floor to the roof of the service bay.

Always put the probe core on the floor of the bay. Attaching the core to the ceiling of the bay will result in your rocket shaking itself to pieces :/

And that was my problem right there. It is only a small kraken I guess, and one easily avoided.

Peace.

I use them to abuse the physics, Stack parts inside a service bay and they become massless and dragless, you can put thousands of m/s of delta v in there and it not effect craft performance haha

I thought they only become dragless... I'm pretty sure the mass is still there.

I've also been using them to add probe cores to command pods. It's great not just for the rescue contracts, but for allowing me to send a scientist on a mission while also having SAS

Yes, probe core, bateries, science stuff in the small, the large also hold RCS life support and similar.

(I went a bit overkill with the science because I like to recover it rather than transmit it.)

Message of the day:

Scientists are able to restore experiments so you can re-run them. That way you can just go on EVA, collect the data, reset the experiment and store the data in the command pod.

:sticktongue:

Does this only happen with probe cores, or can it happen with the 0.625m reaction wheel as well? I generally attach those to the ceiling, and the probe core on the floor, and sometimes I get that shaking to pieces thing. Opening up the service bay doors always stops it though.

I haven't tested reaction wheels in isolation from probe cores hanging from the ceiling. It's been both together or just the probe core. Anyway, don't do it, always put them on the floor or you'll be sorry.

WARNING: If you make a habit of putting probe cores inside the service bays, DO NOT hang the probe core from the ceiling. Always put the probe core on the floor of the bay. Attaching the core to the ceiling of the bay will result in your rocket shaking itself to pieces :/

Oh ...

We for sure need a moderated/locked stickied post for stuff like this.

I thought they only become dragless... I'm pretty sure the mass is still there.

I don't think there is such a thing as "massless" parts anymore. Any part with PhysicsSignificance = 1 is not massless; the part adds the part's mass to the CoM of the part's parent. (i.e. parts inside a bay add to the mass of the bay, and share the bay's CoM, regardless of their actual positioning in the bay.)

Message of the day:

Scientists are able to restore experiments so you can re-run them. That way you can just go on EVA, collect the data, reset the experiment and store the data in the command pod.

:sticktongue:

Yes, but that's not an option for unmanned craft. (That particular craft was unmanned, but I guess I cropped a little too close to see that)

The shaking apart bug seems to happen depending on where you put items inside your bay. Avoid part clipping at all costs, don't even let them come close to clipping. And cut back on stuffing them too much.

On another note, I built a 2-Kerbal runabout rover in a 2.5M Service Bay last night. It's pretty fun.

I use them to hide kerbals inside. Like those 0g plane rides. Also i use them for the rescue missions and for my shuttle.

Also your pictures don't seem to be working.

You think you're smart, but somewhere, someday, you go to the forum and read this little gem from worir4.

i use them and or cargo bays to cram anything that isnt essential to aerodynamic functionality as it disabled drag entirely on those parts. That said, i have also made some rather exploity craft utilizing their ability to cancel out drag, with stuff such as cramming 30+ xenon tanks, 15 ion engines, ect all into a service bay to make all that massively draggy stuff have no aero forces (its an even bigger deal in 1.0.2 where the souposphere has kindof returned albeit not in full force).

Due to the way the new aero modle works, and that stuff thats partially or even fully clipped inside teh hull suffers maximum drag always, the one way to fix that is through efficient use of service/cargo bays. I dont like to exploit, but since i refuse to say no to a laythe roundtrip capable craft, i WILL clip whatever i need into the cargo bays to achieve laythe capabilities!

• 1 year later...

Migh

On 05/05/2015 at 11:17 PM, Roflcopterkklol said:

I use them to abuse the physics, Stack parts inside a service bay and they become massless and dragless, you can put thousands of m/s of delta v in there and it not effect craft performance haha

Might as well just Alt+F12 for infinite fuel.

2.5 Necroposting and Necromoaning
Posting in a thread that has not received a new message in a defined span of three months is known as “necroposting". Necroposting is often frowned upon but not forbidden provided that your post does not break the other rules in this post, most notably rule 2.3a. These threads may be closed at the discretion of the staff.

Additionally, methods that draw attention to a necropost in such a manner as to shame the poster are also frowned upon and this is known as Necromoaning, Necromoaning posts are also subject to removal under rule 2.3a

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.