Replay tools!

I would like to suggest a new tool: a way to make a gameplay recording of a flight, and then replay it later on from the point of view of any object(s) within physics range during the recording. You'd be able to position your camera arbitrarily in relation to any physics-enabled object or the surface of any planet in a way that mostly resembles the current external camera, but with some restrictions removed (i.e. no more restriction on panning the camera away from the focused object.) You'd also be able to look out from any IVA within physics range, whether or not a Kerbal is present in the IVA.

Some information elements (heat / drag overlays, resources, etc) would be available when focused on a physics-enabled object. The option to hide all overlays would also be available.

I would use the HECK out of this for a variety of purposes:

-watch any launch from the point of view of the administration building, or from the island runway, or from the control tower on the SPH

-watch any docking maneuver from the point of view of the target vessel or station

-watch any flight from IVA, if you were too chicken to actually fly it in IVA

-watch the same flight from a variety of viewpoints

-turn on all the overlays to review your vessel's performance during a flight

-turn off all the overlays and make some hecka awesome machinima

What do we think??

It's a pretty good idea, so good in fact that someone made a mod that does some of the things you're talking about. It's called "persistent trails", but it's not currently compatible with the latest version of KSP.

It's a pretty good idea, so good in fact that someone made a mod that does some of the things you're talking about. It's called "persistent trails", but it's not currently compatible with the latest version of KSP.

I... did not know that was what that mod was for. Interesting! =D Thought I maintain that a stock solution would be lovely to have, as it could potentially allow for more extensive camera control. Still, I'll keep my eyes open for a 1.0.2-ready version of the mod.

@mattinoz, slow-mo would be hecka awesome (probably would work by interpolating between each frame of the recording).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.