[Stock] The 30 Second Altitude Challenge- Revived for 1.0!

Inspired by the now 2 year old original(ish) challenge!

The 30 Second Altitude Challenge!

With the new aerodynamics model and wholly revamped engines, I think it's time to bring back the 30 second altitude challenge. On its 2 year birthday, no less. The goal here is simple: get as high as absolutely possible in 30 seconds. Run didn't go so well? Rocket didn't perform as expected? Well, you only spent 30 seconds flying it! Just go back and try again.

Minimize drag, maximize speed. The idea is brilliantly easy- the execution may very well push both your engineering skills and your computer to the limits.

RULES:

1. This is a stock challenge. No mods may be used, with the exception of Kerbal Engineer Redux or mods that are purely aesthetic (eg, Universe Replacer). Mechjeb or similar mods may be used to autostage and pilot your ship. The cheats menu may not be used at any time. If you use any of the above mods, say so in your entry.

2. Your rocket must fit entirely within the VAB when in launch configuration. This means I need to see a screenshot of it in the VAB with all parts clearly visible. Yes, this means you can lift your rocket up to the top with launch clamps.

3. I'll be using the honors system here, since it's essentially impossible to check, but please use the default aerodynamics settings as of 1.0.2. This is to ensure a level playing field for all.

4. The resources tab should be visible at all times during flight. Mechjeb or KER dV windows are also acceptable.

5. I need 3 screenshots at the very minimum- in the VAB, on the pad, and at T+30 seconds with the F3 menu visible. Videos are welcome.

6. Only minor clipping will be tolerated. If you have a question about whether it's too much, it probably is. If you'd really like my opinion, show me the rocket before you make a submission. Normally I'm a fan of clipping, but since aerodynamics are such an important part of this challenge, I really need to limit it.

CLIPPING IS ACCEPTABLE IF IT:

-adds engines to an otherwise empty fuel tank

-is a natural result of radial mounting (ie minor)

CLIPPING IS UNACCEPTABLE IF IT:

-adds engines inside engines or fuel tanks inside fuel tanks

-adds more mass to a volume than it could normally hold

-allows a part to function in a way that it does not normally function (doing this without clipping is OK)

-allows the user to in any way circumvent atmospheric drag or heating that would normally be associated with the addition of a part

Essentially, avoid anything other than engines inside empty fuel tanks.The ultimate decision as to whether clipping is acceptable or not is up to me. Keep it low or risk your entry being invalidated.

Otherwise, anything goes. If you have a question about a rule, or think one should be added/removed/tweaked, post BEFORE you make your submission if you want me to count it! If your results are in question, I may ask for a craft file to test your ship with. If your results aren't reproducible, or you're unwilling or unable to submit the craft file, your entry will not be added to the OP.

Anyone who breaks 70K in altitude may feel free to add this badge to their signature:

BptBeAs.png

Alternatively, there's a "clean" version:

HdmEvXe.png

Now, grab your boosters and go to ludicrous speeds!

WINNERS CHARTS

1.juzeris: 73,337m

2.obi_juan: 60,316m

3.totalitor: 59,622m

4.rc dude: 46,392m

5.cryogen: 46,055m

6.Kelderek: 45,370m

7.totalitor: 40,931m

8.cybersol: 40,307m

9.JO3: 38,688m

10.Squiggsy: 33,700m

WORLD FIRSTS

More of these will be added as needed!

First to break 30K (1km/s average!):gm537

First to break 40K:cybersol

First to break 50K:juzeris

First to break 60K(2km/s average!):juzeris

First to break 70K:juzeris

First to break 75K:You?

First to break 80K:Is this possible?

- - - Updated - - -

An example entry:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Note you don't need the drag window open like I have.

My final height: 22,711m

Let's see you guys do better!

Edited by Jodo42

Alright I've got one and would like to claim the 25km World's First. (Sorry the pics are in the wrong order...) Looks like I got 26,600

- - - Updated - - -

Okay so new idea for gm537, read the rules BEFORE posting. It's okay I already have a new submission and this time I show the resource panel. Looks like I get the 30km world's first as well. These challenges are so much fun because you just keep trying over and over...

Alright I've got one and would like to claim the 25km World's First. (Sorry the pics are in the wrong order...) Looks like I got 26,600

http://imgur.com/a/TMPub

- - - Updated - - -

Okay so new idea for gm537, read the rules BEFORE posting. It's okay I already have a new submission and this time I show the resource panel. Looks like I get the 30km world's first as well. These challenges are so much fun because you just keep trying over and over...

http://imgur.com/a/5hHCf

Thanks for including a run with the resource panel open, added to the OP as our first contestant!

It's very interesting to see how such simple designs do so well with the new aerodynamics model. I've personally got something which can beat the 40km mark with the same basic concept as you're using, but I'd rather see what you guys can do.

Fun challenge. My basic strategy was to use RT10 to get a rapier into its optimal thrust range, then fire a lightweight ot10 final stage using monoprop. Without further ado, here is my entry based on KSP 1.0.2:

I made it just over 40k at 40,307 m. I made it a little higher in other runs where I missed the screenshot, but never over about 41k.

EDIT: This one is fun to fly, the first two stages are like firing a bullet out of a bullet

Cheers as well,

CyberSoul

Edited by cybersol

I reached a height of 38.688km

http://imgur.com/a/NZTrV

and my .craft file is here

Cheers!

Joe

If you could post a picture on the pad with the resource panel showing, then you'll be added to the OP as the first to break 35km!

Fun challenge. My basic strategy was to use RT10 to get a rapier into its optimal thrust range, then fire a lightweight ot10 final stage using monoprop. Without further ado, here is my entry based on KSP 1.0.2:

http://imgur.com/a/FtPAA

I made it just over 40k at 40,307 m. I made it a little higher in other runs where I missed the screenshot, but never over about 41k.

EDIT: This one is fun to fly, the first two stages are like firing a bullet out of a bullet

Cheers as well,

CyberSoul

Added to the OP as the first to break 40km, and our current leader. You'll also take the 35km spot if Joe can't get us a picture.

Lol, this challenge is much tougher than I thought. Several of my slapped together prototypes only hit like 15 km, absolutely terrible. I'll have to approach it again at a "later time and date". This sort of thing warrants some serious engineering!

I got up to 45,370m with this vessel (according to the F3 report):

http://imgur.com/a/NnmrQ

Only 3 stages, the bottom are a set of 5 mammoths, the middle is a mainsail and the top is just a RT-5. Incidentally, this is almost enough power to get to Duna on just 30 seconds of burn time, lol.

Impressive. Added to the OP as the first to break 45km and our current leader.

Well, well, well. Here's my entry, I think I hit 65 461m in 30 seconds. The craft is a bit slapdash, I think with some further optimization it should make it out of the atmosphere without significant problems. If only MechJeb staged monoprop engines properly...

Here's the craft download.

Here are the screenshots:

And here's a video of the ascent:

I'm aware I don't have the resources panel open in the video, my mistake, but I do have the delta V MechJeb screen, where you can see the amounts, if there are doubts regarding the integrity of the run, please let me know, I'll reshoot it. :) The results are very replicable.

Edited by juzeris

Well, well, well. Here's my entry, I think I hit 65 461m in 30 seconds. The craft is a bit slapdash, I think with some further optimization it should make it out of the atmosphere without significant problems. If only MechJeb staged monoprop engines properly...

Here's the craft download.

Here are the screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/7ozmw

And here's a video of the ascent:

I'm aware I don't have the resources panel open in the video, my mistake, but I do have the delta V MechJeb screen, where you can see the amounts, if there are doubts regarding the integrity of the run, please let me know, I'll reshoot it. :) The results are very replicable.

Wow! I had completely forgotton about the awesome physicsless powers of monoprop engines. I was betting that anything over 50km would be incredibly difficult to do, but you blew that out of the water!

Given your Mechjeb data I'll allow for the lack of the resource panel, and will update the OP to reflect this for future entries. Added as the leader by far!

Building an entry largely inspired by the current record holder (the original versions were not, but it evolved that way). Made it past 60,000 already, but I'm not ready to post an official test until I can beat the current record holder.

Well, well, well. Here's my entry, I think I hit 65 461m in 30 seconds.

This is an amazing entry! I watched the video and saw the dead space at the end where you were not thrusting, and thought it would be easy to improve on this. However testing quickly showed you optimized that dead time to take advantage of your final velocity after the 100+ TWR sepratron burn. I think the right second to last stage could beat this, but it definitely will not be easy!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.