[Stock] The 30 Second Altitude Challenge- Revived for 1.0!

My result is 40931 m. With nose cones I got 5000 m better altitude than without.

Last stage is only mainsail rocket.

http://imgur.com/a/gEX8m

So, my first competitive test flight! (how do you link image galleries?)

https://imgur.com/a/hgSHl

1.0.2, all stock, no mods, "normal" difficulty (100% reentry heating).

Final altitude, 46,055 meters!

Added! The leaderboard is once again full.

Higher!

59622 m. In 26 s there is no more rocketpower, but still in four seconds the ship goes 20 km.

I'm going crazy what to do, more power to last stage - more mass and worse result. Two sepatron stages - it doesn't go straight up.

I have tried (almost) everything, i just can't beat that 60 km barrier.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

All these rockets are so big! I'm a fan of small craft so I went with the "30 Second Altitude Challenge - Go Small or Go Home Edition"

I certainly didn't get highest, but I'm pretty happy with how I did considering I managed it with 18 parts, 7.3 tons and within a 3.4m x 3.7m x 3.7m package:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

reached 33,700m (on the dot!)

was struggling to get over 30km while manned, realised at no point did it specify it had to be a manned mission and then once I switched over to the probe core I kept going too fast and the shock cone intake exploded an awful lot, put some cubic octagonal struts there to help radiate the heat out, still had some explosions (and as the picture shows I came VERY close to another one on my final run) but managed to survive!

I'm sure with a lot of tweaking I could improve on this design but for now I am happy with this. one day I may revist it to try and at least get over 35Km though!

While I thought my last entry was "slapdash", apparently it came out pretty good, was pretty hard to exceed it myself.

Thus presenting to you the Acceleron 6 (download link) - for the times when you really need to clear the atmosphere in 30 seconds or less. Came up to 73 337 meters in the test run.

Just make sure you clear the fairings with action groups (2 and 1) before staging, and the monoprop engines like to drain fuel from upper stages, so the staging needs to be precise for the best results, but in my run I ended up with fuel remaining after 30 seconds, so there is a bit of slack.

http://imgur.com/a/1nxts

Also here's the testing video:

Dont understand. where 30 sg i see 3 minutes in video ?¿?¿?¿?¿?

I think its pulse space and star 30 second ... Isn't?

??????

Higher!

59622 m. In 26 s there is no more rocketpower, but still in four seconds the ship goes 20 km.

I'm going crazy what to do, more power to last stage - more mass and worse result. Two sepatron stages - it doesn't go straight up.

I have tried (almost) everything, i just can't beat that 60 km barrier.

http://imgur.com/a/Lx1JD

All these rockets are so big! I'm a fan of small craft so I went with the "30 Second Altitude Challenge - Go Small or Go Home Edition"

I certainly didn't get highest, but I'm pretty happy with how I did considering I managed it with 18 parts, 7.3 tons and within a 3.4m x 3.7m x 3.7m package:

http://imgur.com/a/YkFZT

reached 33,700m (on the dot!)

was struggling to get over 30km while manned, realised at no point did it specify it had to be a manned mission and then once I switched over to the probe core I kept going too fast and the shock cone intake exploded an awful lot, put some cubic octagonal struts there to help radiate the heat out, still had some explosions (and as the picture shows I came VERY close to another one on my final run) but managed to survive!

I'm sure with a lot of tweaking I could improve on this design but for now I am happy with this. one day I may revist it to try and at least get over 35Km though!

Added!

??????

The challenge is based on game time, not real time. It wouldn't be fair for people with bad computers if I used real time.

??????

Look at the upper left corner, there you'll find the ingame mission time or elapsed time, it clocks 30 seconds on the mark.

If you get green numbers in the clock it means that the ingame clock is running at "real life" speed, one second ingame is equal to one second "IRL". Normally you get this running ships with low count part on a decent computer.

Yellow or red numbers means that the time inside the game is running slower than "IRL", each second ingame elapses depending on the time it takes to calculate the graphics. This happens with higher count part or slower computers.

FAR not allowed?

No. Stock aerodynamics only, please.

If there's interest voiced by at least a few more people then I may add a separate FAR leaderboard. This challenge isn't too active right now, it seems.

Edited by Jodo42

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.