[1.1.2] Critical temperature gauge

Ravien

1.1.2 is last version of this plugin maintained by me. Since 1.1.3 was taken over by @Teilnehmer

For future updates and new versions please visit * NEW * thread

--

This small plugin contains tweakable temperature gauge.

k6D4iyg.png

After recent changes made by Squad, I decided to create gauge intended to show temperature of closest to explosion part of the craft.

Don't get me wrong, stock temperature overlay is good in testing phase but during real flights I'm much more interested with clear indication, when my contraption going to disintegrate.

Installation

Copy the GameData folder into KSP root directory

Configuration

Run KSP, setup gauge position by dragging it into desired place.

Thermometer button in flight scene brings configuration options:

GnHhlmu.png

Deactivation threshold - temperature index, below which gauge will hide (300 means 30% of maximum part's temperature)

Activation threshold - temperature index, above which gauge will show

Show temperature - shows actual temperature of measured part

Highlight critical part - highlights measured part

Gauge lock - locks gauge in place

Force show gauge - makes temperature gauge visible all the time

Deadly Reentry compatibility - sets DR compatibility mode (This option has been removed - plugin detects Deadly Reentry automatically)

Use module exclusion list - enables tracking of case sensitive list of modules separated by commas (any part containing module from this list will be ignored by gauge)

Remove toolbar button - removes toolbar button after next reload of flight scene (To bring back toolbar button You have to delete or manually edit config file)

This plugin was tested with 64-bit KSP builds :).

1.1.2 version adds new parameter editable only in config.XML: "Base winID". In eventual case of window ID conflicts with other mods user can manually set new base number. Requires KSP restart to work.

Current plugin version: 1.1.2 - (6 June 2016). 

> Download (form Spacedock) <

>Source< currently dropbox only

License: GNU GPL v3

Version history:

Spoiler

Features:

Compatibility with KSP 1.1.x
Textures in DXT format
Ability to declare base window ID

1.0.5-a

Compatibility version

1.0.4-a

Features:

Changes in relation to revised thermal mechanic:

- support for new separate internal and skin temperatures

1.0.2-f

Features:

Changes related to Deadly Reentry support

- automatic detection of DR specific modules

- independent skin and internal temperature checks, plugin detect both of temperatures and chooses most critical one

1.0.2-e

Features:

Deadly Reentry support

Module exclude list

1.0.2-d

Features:

Thresholds controls part highlighter

1.0.2-c

Fixes:

Parameter "Force show gauge" set persistent

Fixed minor issues with saving thresholds values

1.0.2-b

Features:

Added "Highlight critical part" option

Edited by Ravien

No need to apologize :)

Excellent stuff here!

Couple of suggestions:

- Might be nice to be able to reposition the gauge, esp based on resolution. I'm at 1920x1080 and it's offset to the left of center for me. Also, you're pretty close to where Waypoint Manager puts its HUD. Probably not a big deal, but something that might come up. Nightingale of Waypoint Manager had this problem early on as well, but got it solved, so the solution probably exists there. The Kerbal Engineer folks also have a good repositioning system for HUD elements.

- It would be cool to have an idea of which part is over-heating, either by highlighting on the ship or even a read-out underneath the gauge of what's overheating.

- Harder still :) might be nice to have the gauge be able to watch certain parts (like wings, landing gear, command pod, etc) and ignore the rest.

Excellent!

Support the comments of the post before.

And, IMHO, this should be stock :cool:

Because lots of tiny temperature gauges make it a bit ugly, great for "fine tuning" a newly designed craft, but for further use one gauge is pretty enough.

Edited by Tasmanian

I like helaeon's second idea of having an indication of which part is overheating. I reckon that'd be sick. The third idea is good but I don't consider it a necessity, as this mod is really just there to re-purpose the stock temp gauges :)

No need to apologize :)

Excellent stuff here!

Couple of suggestions:

- Might be nice to be able to reposition the gauge, esp based on resolution. I'm at 1920x1080 and it's offset to the left of center for me. Also, you're pretty close to where Waypoint Manager puts its HUD. Probably not a big deal, but something that might come up. Nightingale of Waypoint Manager had this problem early on as well, but got it solved, so the solution probably exists there. The Kerbal Engineer folks also have a good repositioning system for HUD elements.

- It would be cool to have an idea of which part is over-heating, either by highlighting on the ship or even a read-out underneath the gauge of what's overheating.

- Harder still :) might be nice to have the gauge be able to watch certain parts (like wings, landing gear, command pod, etc) and ignore the rest.

If I'm not wrong if you click and drag you can move it around :P

This is cool!

If this was combined with a mod to automatically disable the stock temp gauges (at least until the memory leak is fixed) it would be amazing.

There is a mod for that already, works like a charm. Definitely going to try this one too.

Will this disable the Squad gauges so we don't have to press F10 every time? The hot parts glow anyway using PPFX edge highlighting so the stock gauges aren't needed at all.

Look two posts above you :). Linked to my mod there that does this already.

Noticed a couple of very small problems. First off though, GREAT idea and job doing this! :)

The problems I found though is the settings reset themselves after each flight. So for example you could reset temperature thresholds but the next flight they are back to default.

The second one, when turning on the force show for the gauge, when the setting window is closed the gauge also disappear.

Could i make a request?

Could you tie the Part highlighting to the (or a new) thermal threshold option? I like that is displays the part thats the hottest but since I also use the Force On option to keep the bar displayed it constantly jumps between parts when idle (usually my solar panels). Would be nice to only have it start highlighting when the hottest part hits 60-70% of its max temp so I don't have to keep turning the feature on and off :)

Good idea, I'll do it tomorrow.

edit:

Done in 1.0.2-d version. If You're using Force On just setup maximum threshold to 700 and minimum to 600 to get desired functionality

Edited by Ravien

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.