[1.4.2] ForScience! v1.5.2 - Your science autopilot.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, tonimark said:

please update for ksp 1.7

First, it probably works in 1.7, would be best if you tried it out and reported back here with the results

Second, please don't bug mod authors about updates.  We do this for free, in our free time.  

Thank you, @linuxgurugamer

If someone else reports that they are experiencing issues with the latest game version, I will look into it.

Also, ForScience only works with stock style science modules, not custom non-stock style science modules. I simply can't provide compatibility for every possible mod out there. I'd have to take a dependency on those mods and as a result, the mod would break constantly and require constant updates.

I happy to provide support, but I no longer play regularly, please be certain of any issues you report.

23 hours ago, zer0Kerbal said:

ForScience! vs. Automated ScienceSampler.

Asking if there are any significant differences. Would like to not have KerboKatzUtilities installed. Thank you for all your hard word, and thank you in advance.

FS is meant to be simple and reliable. ASS is more configurable and aggressive.

It's entirely personal preference.

On 5/4/2019 at 10:39 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Do you have the dependencies installed?

Please provide a log file when you report issues, saves time.

My bad.  I'm so used to people not installing dependencies for my mods that it's an automatic responce.

It appears there aren't any dependencies, but we still need a log file

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been using this mod for a long time now with much joy, I do however have a small request if possible;

Whenever I switch to another vessel FS always starts active by default, would it be possible for FS to remember if it was turned off for a vessel?

Or if that' s too much work to start FS as inactive by default? (or have a small cfg so users can choose what they want).

Many thanks for this great mod!

On 7/6/2019 at 11:49 AM, WissyWassy said:

I've been using this mod for a long time now with much joy, I do however have a small request if possible;

Whenever I switch to another vessel FS always starts active by default, would it be possible for FS to remember if it was turned off for a vessel?

Or if that' s too much work to start FS as inactive by default? (or have a small cfg so users can choose what they want).

Many thanks for this great mod!

+1  That would make this mod perfect.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well latest version of ForScience does work to an extend in 1.8.1

But up till 1.7.3 ForScience would also include DMagic Orbital Science parts. It will list DOS parts, along with stock science parts, but clicking on the DOS parts does nothing, and there's no longer any automation to them. You have to manually reset parts that's not stock.

Who'd be needing to update for this to work again? DMagic, or ForScience?

27 minutes ago, lekkimsm2500 said:

Well latest version of ForScience does work to an extend in 1.8.1

But up till 1.7.3 ForScience would also include DMagic Orbital Science parts. It will list DOS parts, along with stock science parts, but clicking on the DOS parts does nothing, and there's no longer any automation to them. You have to manually reset parts that's not stock.

Who'd be needing to update for this to work again? DMagic, or ForScience?

ForScience should work with any module that uses the stock style science module. It doesn't appear that DMagic implements ModuleScienceExperiment. This is usually the case if a mod needs more control over the science module than the stock system can provide. ForScience is not able to accommodate these custom modules in way that wouldn't easily be broken by updates.

Works on 1.8.1 stock+DLCs with no discernable difference. The CKAN meta data could do with an update to reflect this.

This mod is excellently reliable, no doubt through it's simplicity.

I've yet to work out how the mod chooses which container to populate with science.  This also applies to when two vessels with science dock; how does it determine which one it transfers the results to? 

I feel it would be useful to be able to turn the automatic science transfer on/off, and even better be able to specify where to send new science results. Is this likely to break that wonderful simplicity?

On 12/6/2017 at 3:33 PM, WaveFunctionP said:

Turning it off when you want to do something manually is indeed the intended behavior.

Because I can not know what your intention is for docking or separation, and the part graph is unpredictable, the mod makes no assumptions and merely choose the first science container it comes across in the part tree as the storage container. Most of the time, this is the one and only command pod.

I've just spotted you have already answered the question of which container is chosen.  That's certainly in keeping with the simplicity aesthetic.

I've yet to try ASS, but still find myself longing for FS with two buttons.  Thinking about this, however, it seems unlikely to be possible.

• 10 months later...

Holy moly, this mod is a-flippin'-mazing!  Some say it feels like cheating.  I don't see it that way.  I just tried it, and thanks to your little video, I took a quick build pod with a science unit, some goo, thermometer, barometer, bumped into the buildings around, and came back with a ton of science I didn't even know was there!  I now have plans to get a scientist everywhere I can! 

You and your cohorts did an amazing job with this mod.  Thanks!

A very grateful noob (compared to most - though I did land my first rover on Minmus today!).

• 1 month later...

I love this mod for its simplicity and ease of use (at least 99% of the time :D),
i do however, have one humble request:

On 12/6/2017 at 4:33 PM, WaveFunctionP said:

[..] the mod makes no assumptions and merely choose the first science container it comes across in the part tree as the storage container. Most of the time, this is the one and only command pod.

Since you have to run through the part tree to find "the first science container it comes across" anyway, would it be possible to just store (copies of) experiment results in all containers found?
I know you can manually run experiments multiple times with "take/store data" etc..

I tried many of the science collecting related mods out there but none of them seem to do that and I just wonder why apparently noone has made their mod do that yet :blink:
Even dropped a new thread couple days ago but noone seems to know of any mod doing that either

Soooooo.... could you implement that? And if yes would you?

Thank you for your time spent making this mod (and reading another "gimme plz" post ;) )!

• 8 months later...
On 8/1/2021 at 11:16 AM, Slomo said:

Any chance it will be updated to the final KSP 1.12?

I'm running this mod on a 1.12.2 install (fresh) and it's working fine so far.  Not sure how it reacts with older saves.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.