So precoolers... do they remain useless?

I've run a test at the launchpad with both jets and the rapiers. One with precoolers between the engine and the MK1 fuel tank and the other without. Their thrust remains exactly the same and the one without the precooler heats slower instead of faster. So, is something supposed to be different at attitude/speed, or they are now much nicer looking useless parts?

I've run a test at the launchpad with both jets and the rapiers. One with precoolers between the engine and the MK1 fuel tank and the other without. Their thrust remains exactly the same and the one without the precooler heats slower instead of faster. So, is something supposed to be different at attitude/speed, or they are now much nicer looking useless parts?

run them at 20km without pre coolers

I was under the impression that the precoolers "compressed and cooled the incoming air"...or some such, thereby making your engines more efficient abd less prone to overheat at high altitudes and speeds.

And adding them to my spaceplane in 1.0 made the previously failing plane get to orbit.

I question what's the point of adding precoolers into the game when they don't even function (at least similarly) like their real life counterparts that they are supposed to emulate in the first place.

I think its more or less just a paint job, but they do have higher emissivity figure. Btw, 2 precoolers stuck behind a node produce less drag than a ram intake in front of a nacelle. So I only use precoolers for intake job. Might weigh a bit more, but alot less drag.

FWIW, the precoolers seem to be just about indestructible as far as heat. I have yet to be able to get them to overheat, no matter how I try, they're always the last part of the vehicle to go.

They're very heat-resistant. Notice how wings, engines and intercoolers are all yellow, but only the coolers are missing the warning bar:

nm4VCPE.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.