[1.0.4] Instell Incorporated Experimental Technologies

8bitsblu

[LOOKING FOR HELP DEVELOPING THIS MOD AND UPDATING TO 1.2. PLEASE EITHER POST IN THIS THREAD OR PM ME IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IN HELPING OUT. MODELLING, TEXTURING, OR CONFIG WRITING EXPERTISE GREATLY APPRECIATED]

nJB8pA9.png

We at Instell Incorporated pride ourselves in customer satisfaction. We wish to give our customers only the greatest and most fashionable ways to ride their reusable ICBMs. Our engineers are ready and eager to work on any project that can get them close to the liquid oxygen again. Here at Instell we have only the best of experimental technologies, because finished products are just too mainstream. Why spend precious funds on testing when the customer can do it for you?

At Instell we believe in shooting for the moon, and even if we miss, our craft melted on the way up.

SCRAMJET ENGINES!

New from Instell, the Semi Combustible Ramjet.

Have you ever thought that stuffing air and fuel into a tube until it exploded was a bad idea? We did, but we kept trying anyway until we figured out that shoving more air in makes it explode out the back of the tube! [WARNING - Sharp edges, high temperatures, and ludicrous G forces may cause death, dismemberment, and or hallucination]

We at instell incorporated are proud to offer a selection of two wonderful scramjets: XE-101 and the XE-202. Both are scramjets and are built to propel your spaceplane to hypersonic speeds. They become more powerful and efficient the higher they are and the faster they go.

eK7cXGJ.pngbHJ1S9X.png

Advantages of scramjets:

• Very efficient at high speeds/altitudes
  • Very light
  • Can function at very high altutudes
  • Is the physical representation of acceleration
  • Does not require intake hogging

However it poses a couple of challenges:

• Must be going past mach 3 to function
  • Engines have a tendency to cause other parts to overheat due to atmospheric heating.
  • Engines are more efficient in the upper atmosphere

ELECTRIC ENGINES!

Introducing the XE-303/E electronic turbofan engine!

Pjb7Thn.png

This engine is considerably more simple to use than our Scramjets. This engine is excellent for subsonic crafts, especially those on other planets. Since it doesn't rely on combustion to power its turbine, it will run in any atmosphere. It's perfect for aircraft transports on other planets!

Advantages:

• Can run in any atmosphere
  • Small onboard battery supply
  • Cheaper than a traditional basic jet
  • Very quiet
  • Makes for a great air conditioner in a pinch

Disadvantages:

• Cannot go above Mach 1
  • Can only be radially attached
  • A bit bulky

PULSE DETONATION ENGINES!

Introducing Instell's latest work of mad science: The XE-404 Pulse Detonation Engine!

jF5s1qn.png

This engine is the perfect companion to the XE-101 and 202. It has a maximum speed of mach 6 and sounds like a mosquito screwing a dragon. Despite using the most advanced coolant systems that Jeb could find in his junkyard, this engine still has a tendency to overheat, so watch out!

Advantages:

• Can easily take a SCRAMjet up to the required speed.
  • Has a speed ceiling of mach 6.
  • Operates well in the same flight conditions as a TurboRamJet.
  • Can cook a burger in 6 seconds flat.

Disadvantages:

• LOUD!!
  • Cannot reach as high of an altitude as the XE-101 and 202
  • Can overheat easily

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To-do list:

• Get G.O.N.A.D.S. working properly
  • Cool fuselage parts
  • Better model for Casper
  • better (stockalike?) textures
  • better models in general
  • more engines, the more experimental the better

Changelog:

v1.6.1

Repackaged for 1.0.5

v1.6

Added XE-404 "Jackhammer" Pulse Detonation Engine

Added XF-35B SuperBullShark to demonstrate XE-404

Added F-38 Mako just for fun

v1.5

Added RI-01 Hypersonic Intake

Added Mk.1 Battery Fuselage

Remodeled XE-303/E

XE-303/E no longer needs IntakeAir to function, but does need to be in an atmosphere.

XE-303/E takes way less electricity to run.

Removed G.O.H.N.A.D.S. until I can get the damn thing to work.

Added new parts onto IX-102 and IX-201

v1.4

RETEXTURED ALL THE THINGS!

Tweaked G.O.H.N.A.D.S. to actually do the thing that it was made to do.

Added XE-303/E Electric Turbofan engine (Thank you firespitter for your wonderful plugin)

Added IX-201 to showcase the new engine

Added fairings to XE-101

v1.3

Added G.O.H.N.A.D.S. (Gunkworks Oxidizer-augmented Heat Neutralizing And Dumping System)

Updated IX-102 with new part, can now survive more abuse!

v1.2

Added IX-203 (X-43 style aircraft)

Edited IX-102 spaceplane

Lowered thrust of Houdini to 70

Lowered thrust of Leech to 35

v1.1

Added particle effects

nerfed engines slightly

v1.0

release

Download (KerbalStuff):

[instell Incorporated is not liable for crafts melting or disintegrating from heat or acceleration, warranty void if engine exposed to fire.]

License:

nH7HRPa.gif

This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/.

Edited by 8bitsblu

Hmm... looks like I'll vaporising a few Kerbals with these babies :D

They definitely already look quite nice in the way of their models, though one thing that might be nice is a version of the engine without the nacelle, that is JUST the combined engine and an intake for surface attachment on one of the broad faces. (For building smoother-looking hypersonic manned cruise missiles airplanes)

Also, it seems to me like the two best ways to get a plane with those going would be either dropping it from a larger plane, or going the Kerbal Way and sticking a big honking booster on it.

I think you misunderstand the engine's appearance. Both engines are in that photo I've just mounted them on a liquid fuel tank. And the way I've done it so far is in the true kerbal way. I slapped an ass-ton of SRBs onto it to get it up to speed.

Here's a video of me testing it back in 0.90:

Ah, good. I had though what was shown in the picture was a single part, engine nacelle and all that.

And that is quite an intense demonstration... though I have a feeling that doing that with the new stock heating will vaporise at least /part/ of the plane.

EDIT: Also, nice use of the Mk 2 to 1.25 m bi-coupler in the craft supplied with the mod.

Thank you very much. That ship should get you to orbit too, those rapiers aren't just there for show. It's slow at first, but fly it just right and you can get to the right speeds.

This mod adds in two engines right now: the XE-101 and the XE-202. Both of them are Scramjet engines.

http://i.imgur.com/amkSEY2.png

(From Wikipedia)

So the upside to these engines is that they are the concept of acceleration given physical form. They only become more powerful the faster and higher you go. Unfortunately they cannot start themselves under 250m/s and don't really produce any thrust until you hit around 900m/s. It's much easier to make them run if you go higher in the atmosphere. I'd say 10Km is the best height to turn them on. So give them a try and tell me what you think!

Download:

[instell Incorporated is not liable for crafts melting or disintegrating from heat or acceleration, warranty void if engine exposed to fire.]

Awesome, but I believe you need to post a license with your mod

Yes, or the moderators show up and remove the dl link.

As for a preliminary after action report, they haul a 32 passenger Mk3 SSTO into an easy suborbit for a 100km orbit.

Word of caution, keep the SCRAM powered portion of the flight very flat, or you will waste all that glorious ÃŽâ€v.

They're downright silly on Mk1 based airframes though, I'm honestly surprised it didn't incinerate.

-

Upon further testing, a couple recommendations, make these things not light below mach 3, I was able to use them to help me break the sound barrier.

Also, make them run up to 45km, that is where these engines shine, due to low air resistance

Edited by Nothalogh

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm fiddling with the config files right now. I have implemented your changes and they mostly work fine, though it gets a bit OP with the lower air resistance (I was able to get an apoapsis of 3 million Km with a small test craft.)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm fiddling with the config files right now. I have implemented your changes and they mostly work fine, though it gets a bit OP with the lower air resistance (I was able to get an apoapsis of 3 million Km with a small test craft.)

The solution to that is to up the fuel consumption

Edited by Nothalogh

Alright I updated the download link. Added particle effects, lowered thrust, slightly lowered isp. At lower altitudes they have an isp of around 3000 but at higher altitudes it is a bit more efficient than the turboramjet engine.

Holly hamburgers dood :confused:.

I just made SSTO made of MK2 parts, one ramjet engine and four of those on the wings...

It took me to over 6000 m/s before it dies out when leaving atmosphere...

I LOVE those :cool:.

Thanks! IRL scramjets can be just as crazy too, look up the X-43 and X-51. The X-43 holds the world record for fastest air-breathing aircraft. They both go so fast they ended up melting from shock heating.

Holly hamburgers dood :confused:.

I just made SSTO made of MK2 parts, one ramjet engine and four of those on the wings...

It took me to over 6000 m/s before it dies out when leaving atmosphere...

I LOVE those :cool:.

I'm curious, what were the G forces?

Made a Mk2 SSTO VTOL passenger (4) shuttle. Two Rapiers, two Leeches, two Ducted fans for VTOL. VTOL to Air-breathing Rapier transition @ 10 m. Rapiers + Leech scramjets @ ~10km. Leeches only @ ~20km... and it can make a 100km apoapsis without a closed cycle rocket assist from the Rapiers. That leaves the Rapiers for orbital maneuvering...

Thrust limited to 25 m/sec^2 and a +20 pitch by Mechjeb, it pretty much flies itself...

Made a Mk2 SSTO VTOL passenger (4) shuttle. Two Rapiers, two Leeches, two Ducted fans for VTOL. VTOL to Air-breathing Rapier transition @ 10 m. Rapiers + Leech scramjets @ ~10km. Leeches only @ ~20km... and it can make a 100km apoapsis without a closed cycle rocket assist from the Rapiers. That leaves the Rapiers for orbital maneuvering...

Thrust limited to 25 m/sec^2 and a +20 pitch by Mechjeb, it pretty much flies itself...

Yeah the Leeches weren't tested as thoroughly as the Houdini was. I'll see if lowering the thrust will make then a bit less OP. Unless you guys think they're fine in their current state. Should I change them?

Yeah the Leeches weren't tested as thoroughly as the Houdini was. I'll see if lowering the thrust will make then a bit less OP. Unless you guys think they're fine in their current state. Should I change them?

Seeing as one needs an even number of them for radially symmetrical thrust, yes.

I'd say they should be half of the Houdini

Petition to rename these SkramJets :P

I say keep SCRamjet.

Have you ever thought that stuffing air and fuel into a tube until it exploded was a bad idea?

We did, but we kept trying anyway until we figured out that shoving more air in makes it explode out the back of the tube!

[WARNING - Sharp edges, high temperatures, and ludicrous G forces may cause death, dismemberment, and or hallucination]

Edited by Nothalogh

Love these parts, hard to get the right speed/alt but once you hit the sweet spot....you'll be breaking all kinds of things, like windows on another continent. :)

Also a bit of advice once the SCRamjets kick in do not stay in the atmosphere, things will melt. In a very scary way, I don't think Jeb smiled once in the maiden flight up until things fell off.

once the SCRamjets kick in do not stay in the atmosphere

You're too low in the atmosphere, light them once you hit about 20km and 1km/s, at that point just put it into a shallow climb of 5 deg or so, and hang on to your buttcheeks

These things look like Bac9 made them! Holy cow man! You're definitely getting rep for this! :wink:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/1e/20/a3/1e20a384dd9a2f51231910289a6ead31.jpg

Nooooooothisisjustmyfirstmoditisn'tthatgreatIhaven'tevenmadea3Dmodelin2years

ckSGwTA.gif

I say keep SCRamjet.

Have you ever thought that stuffing air and fuel into a tube until it exploded was a bad idea?

We did, but we kept trying anyway until we figured out that shoving more air in makes it explode out the back of the tube!

[WARNING - Sharp edges, high temperatures, and ludicrous G forces may cause death, dismemberment, and or hallucination]

Oh my god this is golden. Is it okay if I use this for the KerbalStuff page?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.