[1.0.4] Instell Incorporated Experimental Technologies

8bitsblu

Coming soon:

N1zT2pi.jpg

... hopefully (what the hell is going on?)

qTmgg7V.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

If you wanted to fill out the pack a little, you could make a few more high temp aerospace parts, like air intakes and a nosecone. You could also make high temp wing leading edges and control surfaces. I'd stay away from actual wing parts, though. We have lots of those already, heh.

I'm planning on making an air intake later. I'd like to also make some parts for lifting bodies too.

Maybe a hypersonic cockpit, I know there is one in B9 but some variety is always nice. Or maybe cockpit plus other parts with cooling systems you mentioned built in. Also any thoughts on a Pulse Det engine as from the Blackswift project? The oxidizer as coolant I like gives me a reason to build SRAMs with OX.

I am thinking about making a Mk.2 drone cockpit. Manned ones are a bit beyond me right now. Other cooling parts will definitely happen. I've been looking for a good "experimental" engine to do for a while. I even looked into making an Em Drive, but that thing would be WAY too OP. Pulse Detonation engines are definitely a better idea.

So, will it be "Balanced" to kerbin scale or "Real" to estimated figures?

More or less to Kerbin scale. I used Earth as a reference and scaled things down a bit to make it somewhat balanced.

These are seriously fun, thank you!

First project was an minimalist air-dropped test drone; took me a while to nail the drop speed and alt, but the second time I got the damn things lit I hit 2,500 m/s on my way to an Ap halfway to the Mun.

I think I shall enjoy these.

Coming soon:

Great stuff!

You may need to nerf these a bit. Because Kerbin is so much smaller than Earth, once I hit max speed (for this flight it was something like 4500 m/s) I ended up in a solar orbit that brought me within the orbit of Moho and out nearly to Duna.

I got a Mk2 Ravenspear-alike craft up to over 6km/s before fuel ran dry just a few minutes ago.

Top 4 Screens should be of the craft

http://steamcommunity.com/id/4th3ist/screenshots/

Ya this is a little overpowered but hey I am really having a ton of fun with it. Overheating is definitely an issue, but manageable. The only things I burned on the flight I mentioned was 2 winglets and 2 circular intakes. The body is all Mk2 with 2 precoolers for each engine more or less.

Edited by Arsonik

Great stuff!

I got a Mk2 Ravenspear-alike craft up to over 6km/s before fuel ran dry just a few minutes ago.

Top 4 Screens should be of the craft

http://steamcommunity.com/id/4th3ist/screenshots/

Ya this is a little overpowered but hey I am really having a ton of fun with it. Overheating is definitely an issue, but manageable. The only things I burned on the flight I mentioned was 2 winglets and 2 circular intakes. The body is all Mk2 with 2 precoolers for each engine more or less.

You put FIVE SCRamjets on the bloody thing, no wonder

Right now I'm working on a couple of parts that could disperse heat from a craft. One would passively radiate heat away at a low rate while the other actively radiates heat by dumping oxidizer with a much higher rate. What other engines/parts/features might also fit here? I really want to add more.
This :blush:.

Also, would love to have matching intakes.

Or maybe engine that would work without atmosphere?

This :blush:.

Also, would love to have matching intakes.

Or maybe engine that would work without atmosphere?

Air intakes will definitely happen. Along with normal ones I'd like to make some Mk.2 intakes as well. Like maybe a Mk.2 nose part that has built-in intakes.

I really wanna do something with an aerospike. Maybe a Mk.2 linear aerospike? I've also been looking at air-augmented rockets and tripropellant engines, but testing with tripropellant has not gone well at all (KSP goes berserk if I activate the engine).

Air intakes will definitely happen. Along with normal ones I'd like to make some Mk.2 intakes as well. Like maybe a Mk.2 nose part that has built-in intakes.I really wanna do something with an aerospike. Maybe a Mk.2 linear aerospike? I've also been looking at air-augmented rockets and tripropellant engines, but testing with tripropellant has not gone well at all (KSP goes berserk if I activate the engine).
A proper Mk 2 Aerospike would be a very good addition

A proper Mk 2 Aerospike would be a very good addition

I'll start on that along with some other Mk.2 parts once I finish retexturing the existing parts. I'm redoing the textures to make them a bit closer to stock.

Contrary to popular belief, not all accidents are failures.

Take for example our latest success here at Instell, our Flight Test Team was conducting a live orbital test of a new Nuclear Thermal Rocket, only to discover that the fuel rods were not actually made of enriched Uranium.

They were apparently made of lead, coated with glow in the dark paint.

While the rocket did not function, and the crew were stranded in orbit, it had the side effect of acting as an open cycle refrigeration system, as the cryogenic fuel venting through the reactor absorbed heat from the spacecraft and dumped it overboard.

Edited by Nothalogh

@8bitsblu

Tested this with FAR last night and the functionality was more or less unaltered. I imagine the atmosphere is similar enough at 20km + that it has little effect on performance. In fact, FAR atmo is even easier to accelerate through now then 1.0.2. It feels more like 1.0 atmo. Just with aerodynamic failures and more explosions. More is less. Half the engines for the same performance. :)

@8bitsblu

Tested this with FAR last night and the functionality was more or less unaltered. I imagine the atmosphere is similar enough at 20km + that it has little effect on performance. In fact, FAR atmo is even easier to accelerate through now then 1.0.2. It feels more like 1.0 atmo. Just with aerodynamic failures and more explosions. More is less. Half the engines for the same performance. :)

Good to hear. I will make sure to maintain FAR compatibility in the future.

I like the idea of this mod, however, I launched a craft with the main linear engine (with some solids to get it up to speed) and I ended up getting the vessel to an altitude of 27,000,000 meters, I think that this may be a new way to launch stuff into deep space...

How are G.O.H.N.A.D.S. supposed to work?

I stick em on the parts and those overheat normally, and i see no usage of oxidizer...

G.O.H.N.A.D.S. are still sort of getting worked out. Currently I'm using the same module that ablative heat shields use, just using Monoprop instead of the ablative resource. I'm still toying around with the variables to figure out the module. Eventually they will be a lot more effective and use a lot more oxidizer. They do work currently, just not super well :(

- - - Updated - - -

How are G.O.H.N.A.D.S. supposed to work?

I stick em on the parts and those overheat normally, and i see no usage of oxidizer...

... I just realized that I made it use the wrong resource. I'm editing the .cfg file while beating myself with a rock. G.O.H.N.A.D.S. now uses oxidizer.

Edited by 8bitsblu

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.