[1.0.4] Instell Incorporated Experimental Technologies

8bitsblu

Just wanted to pop in here and say I am still planning on doing some highlights of the parts in this mod, if anything for my own amusement. I pieced together one or two videos I wasn't happy with a week or two ago and my joystick has since took a dump on me. That's managed to put a cramp in my desire to play any KSP. So, whenever I do get back into the swing of things I will still be planning on some highlights. Cheers :)

My usual design is turbo-ramjets to get to speeds that the scramjets work at, then once I hit orbit (with much screaming :D) I use nukes for vacuum, that way I only need one type of fuel. I'm sure there a better ways than using 3 engine types, but I like it.

Yeah, that's effectively the best way, incredibly fuel efficient too

Quick question: Does anyone have a spaceplane .craft that uses SABRE/RAPIERs in jet mode to get up to speed, Instell's scramjets to get up to orbit then the sabre/rapiers to circularize?

Sure, here's one I threw together quickly, all stock except for the scramjets.

Action groups are

1. Toggle RAPIER engines and intakes on/off
  2. Toggle Scramjet engines and intakes on/off
  3. Switch RAPIER mode

Airbrakes and flaps are bound to Brakes

RAPIERs are manually mode-switched

Craft file here

[Warranty void if used without Kerbal Joint Reinforcement]

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Nothalogh

I'm back!

Pulse Detonation engine will be in the next update.

LrrMxDj.png

It will be able to operate up to Mach 5, about double the speed of the stock turboramjets, and a slightly higher TWR. However it will not be able to match the altitude ceiling of scramjets. It will have a unique sound effect based on what videos/descriptions I can find (almost like a jackhammer). This engine will be a perfect companion to the Houdini and Leech, it can easily boost a craft to the correct speed for scramjet operation.

I'm back!

Pulse Detonation engine will be in the next update.

http://i.imgur.com/LrrMxDj.png

It will be able to operate up to Mach 5, about double the speed of the stock turboramjets, and a slightly higher TWR. However it will not be able to match the altitude ceiling of scramjets. It will have a unique sound effect based on what videos/descriptions I can find (almost like a jackhammer). This engine will be a perfect companion to the Houdini and Leech, it can easily boost a craft to the correct speed for scramjet operation.

Awwwww hell yeah.

Now we just need a beefed up set of all these to power big honkin Mk3 SSTOs into orbit.

Because I have the urge to haul 64 kerbals on a 2G 5 minute ride to orbit

- - - Updated - - -

Aren't PD engines supposed to work on a really high frequency, to lessen the damage to the materials the craft is made of? Wouldn't it just sound like a very loud mosquito then? ;):)

Yes, most likely the witness reports are doppler shifted due to the aircraft retreating away from the observer.

Should most likely ignite with a heavy thump, and rapidly rise through the jackhammer sound to squealing buzz even at low throttle.

And remember, that's when fed by external equipment, an operational engine would most likely use power extraction and compressor turbines, as a ramjet with airspeed as the compressor, or as a closed cycle rocket.

The lab tests are essentially closed cycle rockets

Edited by Nothalogh

The electric "turbofan" is a bit unrealistic; real turbofans are basically jet engines where the front fan is a bit wider than the rest of the engine and pushes some air around the jet engine like a propeller. The in game engine doesn't show this in its texture and from the description and a realistic point of view it seems to be more like the outside of a jet engine with a ducted fan stuffed inside, which wouldn't produce the amount of thrust that this engine does AFAIK.

The electric "turbofan" is a bit unrealistic; real turbofans are basically jet engines where the front fan is a bit wider than the rest of the engine and pushes some air around the jet engine like a propeller. The in game engine doesn't show this in its texture and from the description and a realistic point of view it seems to be more like the outside of a jet engine with a ducted fan stuffed inside, which wouldn't produce the amount of thrust that this engine does AFAIK.

Well, Kerbals have magical technology that allows that. And, the Boeing 787 for example is part electric; meaning it's like a flying Prius. I don't think its OP at all, except maybe on Duna. It weighs quite a lot compared to stock jet engines, can only be radially mounted, requires a sufficient power source, and are limited to subsonic speeds. Think of it like an electric R/C plane on steroids, and since the kerbal universe is â…†of ours it could be technically possible. I look forward to using it for an Eve plane lander, to take advantage of the thick atmosphere.

From what I remember, Pulse det engines are essentially updated pulse-jet engines... which are WWII vintage in the real world. Maybe see the German V1, or "Buzz Bomb" for possible frequency starting places.

Upon further research, the first (known) PD powered aircraft used four tubes firing at a freqency of 80 hz (I think this means each tube firing at 20 hz) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse_detonation_engine#First_PDE_powered_flight

For comparison, the following is an 80 Hz test tone... I suggest playing at lower volume than usual videos, just in case.

Edited by VaporTrail

Now that is a truly mad invention... Pulse-Detonation Pipe organ.

Start off with a suite from Phantom of the Opera, segue into Ride of the Valkyries... where do you go from there?

>The Aerospace Orchestra

Shut up and take my money

Okay, so here's a list of the stuff that I want to put in version 1.6:

-Emissives for every single engine

-XE-404 "Jackhammer" PulseDet Engine

-Spinning turbine on the XE-303/E

-Special sound effects for XE-404

-Special particle effect for XE-404

Unfotunately, Unity 4.2.2 is being as uncooperative as possible. Not only will it not play the emissive animations, but the XE-101's fairing is broken again. The XE-404, on the other hand, is going a bit more smoothly. I'm working on the sound effect now (Thank you guys so much for all the example videos!) and the particle effects will be coming right afterward. So basically, once emissives are worked out I should be able to release it quickly. Problem is, I have so idea what's wrong with my emissives (or the fairing for that matter). If any of you guys know if something new has come up with emissive textures that I might have missed please tell me.

TL;DR I wish this was the Unreal engine.

Scramjets seem like a great idea, but could anyone show an example of a craft using them? I've tried at the SPH to put two whipsplash + two scramjets + one central nuke (around 30t), but the two whipsplash lack the thrust to break the sound barrier.

So I've tried at the VAB with four kickbacks (radially mounted) + 2 scramjets + 1 nuke, and my Ap was already over 100 km when the kickbacks were exhausted, making the scramjets redundant.

Maybe they work best in heavier aircraft?

Scramjets seem like a great idea, but could anyone show an example of a craft using them? I've tried at the SPH to put two whipsplash + two scramjets + one central nuke (around 30t), but the two whipsplash lack the thrust to break the sound barrier.

So I've tried at the VAB with four kickbacks (radially mounted) + 2 scramjets + 1 nuke, and my Ap was already over 100 km when the kickbacks were exhausted, making the scramjets redundant.

Maybe they work best in heavier aircraft?

If you go back and read the thread, you'll see where I posted an ascent plan, but in light of the new aero and thrust changes I'll try to rewrite it.

[With primary engines active only]

1. Your aircraft must be able to break the sound barrier on its own
  2. It must be able to go at least 800m/s at 18km
  3. Better yet, it should be able to break the sound barrier in a climb

Now on to the ascent:

• Take off (this is vital)
  • Climb hard and fast to 6 to 10km at about a 40deg angle
  • Nose over into a 10 to 20 degree climb and make your supersonic dash
  • At around 20km and 1000m/s engage your scramjets and enter a 10 to 20 degree climb
  • Keep your Turbines on as well until you hit 1100m/s, then shut them off
  • Run the scramjets at full throttle until your apoapsis hits 40 to 43km
  • Cut throttle and coast to apoapsis
  • Aim at the horizon or 1 to 2 degrees below and go for full throttle on the scramjets
  • Accelerate until your apoapsis hits 120 to 130km
  • You will now coast to an apoapsis of around 100km
  • You will need to use a small amount of intermittent thrust during the coast phase depending on your drag
  • Once clear of the atmosphere, warp to apoapsis and circularize with your OMS engine/s
  • Circularization Dv should be well under 100m/s, preferably under 50m/s

Congratulations, you have now successfully performed a Hohmann Transfer and an Oberth Maneuver while in the atmosphere, thanks to Mr 8bitsblu

You are now authorized to laugh maniacally

Alright so I have a sort of "rough draft" of the XE-404's sound effect. Uploaded it to soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/space-aids/pulsedet-sound

EDIT: Oh I nearly forgot to mention DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS WITH HEADPHONES.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS WITH HEADPHONES

I just did, it was glorious.

Although I think the pitch could go up a bit

- - - Updated - - -

I molested that audio in Audacity

Here, have a listen

Here, have a listen

Hmm... Honestly I think that's a bit too high pitched. After all, unlike the examples shown in the various videos posted here, this is a rather large tube. I think it would have a lower pitch than the irl engines.

Hmm... Honestly I think that's a bit too high pitched. After all, unlike the examples shown in the various videos posted here, this is a rather large tube. I think it would have a lower pitch than the irl engines.

Any of the proposals I have seen involve a cluster of many tubes, for ease of controllability.

So, yes, it will have a large singular outlet nozzle, but inside will be almost a honeycomb of detonator tubes.

Reason being, it's easier to contain such pressures in smaller diameter tubes

Edited by Nothalogh

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.