[1.0.4] Instell Incorporated Experimental Technologies

8bitsblu

I like the Scramjets, that was really missing from KSP, especially useful for SSTOs with upscaled planets.

But some suggestions:

- Make the electrical engine independent from intake air and rely on air pressure. Reason is that Eve and Duna doesn't have Intake Air AFAIK and an electrical Fan doesn't really car what gas it moves so it should work there too. Especially for Eve.

- The X-43 Scramjet is nice. The other one tho... I'm not sure about the inline idea. A Scramjet needs to be shaped like a tube, which means you can't place it anywhere. It is a really efficient engine and therefor a little more building restriction wouldn't be bad. Make the big one also surface attacheble and a model like a complete engine with intake , but no longer stackable.

I like the Scramjets, that was really missing from KSP, especially useful for SSTOs with upscaled planets.

But some suggestions:

- Make the electrical engine independent from intake air and rely on air pressure. Reason is that Eve and Duna doesn't have Intake Air AFAIK and an electrical Fan doesn't really car what gas it moves so it should work there too. Especially for Eve.

- The X-43 Scramjet is nice. The other one tho... I'm not sure about the inline idea. A Scramjet needs to be shaped like a tube, which means you can't place it anywhere. It is a really efficient engine and therefor a little more building restriction wouldn't be bad. Make the big one also surface attacheble and a model like a complete engine with intake , but no longer stackable.

-I'm really tempted to do that, but that would mean that you wouldn't need any intakes on it, which sort of defies basic aircraft design. You can still use it on laythe. One idea I've had is to make it not require intake air, but it can use it to become more efficient.

-When it comes to the inline thing, I'm aiming for fun over realism. Plus there's already a turboramjet in the stock game that in real life also would need to be in a straight tube (Note the SR-71, Nord 1500 Griffon II).

I'm assuming it would be just like the Leech, with integral intake
+1 :) I would love to be able to fly those in other atmospheres.

Also im against making Leech bigger, it became my favorite option for small MK2 based shuttles.

I use 1 ramjet + 4 leech + 4 monoprop engines setup for building mun station.

Playing darts with spaceships is fun, currently i can aim for specific munar orbit with only minimal adjustments in flight :cool:.

Edited by Goro san

currently i can aim for specific munar orbit with only minimal adjustments in flight :cool:.

Oberth would shed a tear... of terror

I would love to be able to fly those in other atmospheres.

You can't, the nature of a scramjet defeats that, what you need is a Nuclear Thermal Ramjet to fly on Duna, Eve, Jool, or hell, even Kerbol

Edited by Nothalogh

I was thinking of something along the lines of the thermal nuclear turbine from the 1950s. It was a successful engine but the program was canceled before it was put into an airplane. Basic concept would be to heat up intake air using a nuclear reaction heat exchanger and force it out the exhaust. I feel it sounds very Kerbal and would be great as a top tech tier engine. Flying around the planet would be kinda cheating but so would have the real thing as you would not have needed to carry liquid fuel, just the fuel in the reactor. I made a test using BahamutoD's engine, and it works. Basically it is the 1.0 LV-N engine with intake air as fuel instead of liquid fuel, works great, you just can't go to space. The same engine is used in the jet fighters in the Japanese series Macross, except they use tanks of propellant for space flight.

Edited by Eskandare

-I'm really tempted to do that, but that would mean that you wouldn't need any intakes on it, which sort of defies basic aircraft design. You can still use it on laythe. One idea I've had is to make it not require intake air, but it can use it to become more efficient.

-When it comes to the inline thing, I'm aiming for fun over realism. Plus there's already a turboramjet in the stock game that in real life also would need to be in a straight tube (Note the SR-71, Nord 1500 Griffon II).

Can't you set something up like 'requires Intake-Module', so there has to be at least one Intake Part on the craft, but internally it relies on airpressure, so it can work on Eve Duna and Jool ? Alternativley you could remodel the Engine, so it has one or two radial Intakes already sticking out (like on the former engine nacelle), so it still optically makes sense.

But the whole point of this engine to me is that it should work in non-oxygen atmos, otherwise I could just use jets.

And for the inline thing: Okay fun over realism, but you could maybe make the model as long as the Leech, so if nothing else it is slightly harder to mount than the normal Ramjet

Can't you set something up like 'requires Intake-Module', so there has to be at least one Intake Part on the craft, but internally it relies on airpressure, so it can work on Eve Duna and Jool ? Alternativley you could remodel the Engine, so it has one or two radial Intakes already sticking out (like on the former engine nacelle), so it still optically makes sense.

But the whole point of this engine to me is that it should work in non-oxygen atmos, otherwise I could just use jets.

And for the inline thing: Okay fun over realism, but you could maybe make the model as long as the Leech, so if nothing else it is slightly harder to mount than the normal Ramjet

I'm honestly pretty new to modding, so I don't know all of the modules. Does a module like that exist to make a certain part needed for use?

I was thinking of something along the lines of the thermal nuclear turbine from the 1950s. It was a successful engine but the program was canceled before it was put into an airplane. Basic concept would be to heat up intake air using a nuclear reaction heat exchanger and force it out the exhaust. I feel it sounds very Kerbal and would be great as a top tech tier engine. Flying around the planet would be kinda cheating but so would have the real thing as you would not have needed to carry liquid fuel, just the fuel in the reactor. I made a test using BahamutoD's engine, and it works. Basically it is the 1.0 LV-N engine with intake air as fuel instead of liquid fuel, works great, you just can't go to space. The same engine is used in the jet fighters in the Japanese series Macross, except they use tanks of propellant for space flight.

Nuclear turbojets are already planned

So I've got some good news and some bad news.

Bad news is that I won't be able to update this mod for a while. I'm a senior in HS so for now I'm going to focus on my finals. Also for now I'm going to remove G.O.H.N.A.D.S and completely remake it from scratch. It isn't really up to the standard I have for this mod as it is. I don't really know when I'll be adding it back.

Good news is that I will be releasing one more update and I'll still monitor this thread afterwards. I'm not leaving entirely. In this update the XE-303/E is gonna get a makeover. Also, I'm adding two more parts: a battery fuselage and a hypersonic intake that also can generate small amounts of oxidizer. The intake also has an ablative coating so that you can go as fast as you want.

This break won't last very long, so no worries. I'll be back sometime in June. Until then, have fun going really, really, really, really, really, really fast.

Update is out! have fun with all of the stuff!

Thanks, I'll try my best!

Great change for the electrical ones! Now usable on Eve and Duna. Although I think they are massivley overpowered in terms of electricity consumption. I can constantly fly Mach 0.7 with just 3-6 OX-STAT panels with no drawbacks. IMO they should consume way more energy

The new model is great, but I think you might base the performance on real life (so way less powerful, or way more power consumtion) , as you've done with the Sramjets.

Here's the closest real life counterpart I think: Airbus_E-Fan

EDIT:

As a followup: A fuel cell is more efficient than burning fuel, so running that electrical fan with LFO and fuel cells should be more efficient than using rockets, but a lot less thrusty (TWR).

I would suggest balancing it around that E-Fan i linked. An electric plane shouldn't be able to easily go fast, but it can fly long because its efficient. So an electric high altitude glider delivering a rocket to high altitudes on eve is what I imagine.

Edited by SkyRex94

Great change for the electrical ones! Now usable on Eve and Duna. Although I think they are massivley overpowered in terms of electricity consumption. I can constantly fly Mach 0.7 with just 3-6 OX-STAT panels with no drawbacks. IMO they should consume way more energy

The new model is great, but I think you might base the performance on real life (so way less powerful, or way more power consumtion) , as you've done with the Sramjets.

Here's the closest real life counterpart I think: Airbus_E-Fan

Holy cow that engine you linked actually seems to consume more power than my engine did beforehand :confused:! I'll definitely raise power usage a bit once I'm done rebalancing the scramjets. They need to flame out earlier in the atmosphere.

Love changes You made to electric engines, keep up the good work :D.

Also, good luck on exams :cool:.

ED BY ME:

I just noticed: that huge battery has experimentalAerodynamics requirement :huh:.

I really think it should be experimentalElectrics (that tree is where all batteries are).

Edited by Goro san

• 2 weeks later...

I've got to say, I LOVE this mod. Mach 16.6? yes please!

It makes me wish our real life tech was up to the challenge of a Hypersonic passenger jet ;)

Quick question: Does anyone have a spaceplane .craft that uses SABRE/RAPIERs in jet mode to get up to speed, Instell's scramjets to get up to orbit then the sabre/rapiers to circularize?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey dude, found this while trolling the net for information on SSTO propulsion.

MSh1zXG.pngThe stuff in orange is mine, as is the mesh sketch. Feel free to use it as inspiration. Sort of a combined Turboram/Scram/Aerospike. Would be incredibly effective.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.