Allow "magic" docking inside cargo bays

With the new rescue contracts where Kerbals are found in command pods and also for general debris collection I often want to be able to collect things from orbit that don't have a docking port on them (and before unlocking the claw). While it is very possible to scoop something into a cargo bay and have it captured inside you can't go into timewarp or whatever you just collected will just drift though the cargo bay walls (and woe betide you if you drop out of warp while it's still part way through your craft).

So what I'd like is this; if you have captured something inside a cargo bay and closed the bay it remains a "loose" object as it currently does, but when you go into time warp (on rails) it is "magically" docked with the craft and the moment you come out of timewarp it is undocked. The thing in the cargo bay doesn't necessarily need to be in contact with the bay walls, it could just behave like a part that is offset from the cargo bay. I think this would make cargo bays more realistic and increase their potential.

What do you guys think?

+1 i like it, especially since ksp is lacking any sort of proper eva activity as in kis or kas

I hope EVA activities are increased in the next updates - i really want stuff to be able to be done outside the craft, like connectors, fuel lines, stowage, etc.

I like this idea. It could make for some interesting new contracts such as removing debris from orbit or retrieving defunct satellites.

If this doesn't allow teleportation of resources from the contained ship to the larger craft...

Not sure - can you transfer resources under warp?

Oh cool, you guys like this idea!

Smart, functional, and totally doable. Squad can already detect when things are inside bays, this code could be utilized for this purpose.

That's a good point, so 'contained objects' are already a known thing. So it's just the matter of "docking" and undocking them as you go in and out of warp. My only worry about this is the way docking currently results in a re-position of the camera and there is a momentary delay. that would be annoying with this idea, but....

With KAS you can do something similar by connecting a fuel line and that basically docks the two craft, but somehow it does it more smoothly than regular docking, without the camera angle changes and with very little delay. So if that same logic could be used for this idea it would work better.

If this doesn't allow teleportation of resources from the contained ship to the larger craft...

That's a good point, it would need to basically lock any resources on the contained parts during the timewarp. I think electricity is the only thing consumed during timewarp, but locking all resources would ensure any mods with resources that are consumed during time warp are catered for. I can't imagine that would be too hard to implement.

This would also mean that one could fill a cargo bay with loose Kerbals, right?

The stowaway feature, nice! I guess it depends if a Kerbal is treated as a part.

+1 i like it, especially since ksp is lacking any sort of proper eva activity as in kis or kas
I hope EVA activities are increased in the next updates - i really want stuff to be able to be done outside the craft, like connectors, fuel lines, stowage, etc.
This would be so great! I also want to be able to stick a docking port on things like in the KAS mod. And some of those pods should have docking ports on them I think.

Yes to all of those, more EVA stuff is really needed (and I think better EVA controls too); have the same key setup as we have now which is basically translation control, but also let IJKL handle rotation of the Kerbal so that can be independent of the camera heading. I've got another suggestion that relates to this and having more EVA stuff, I'll post that shortly (I need to go and crash something into a moon first)

Well, what you're actually asking is for the parts inside the bay to warp the same as the containing ship, so they don't even need to be docked ( ie the craft tree needing to be rebuilt as a new craft ), just moved the same. That might be even easier, it's basically a bunch of things in formation which has already been done.

Edited by Van Disaster

Just a thought, why not fit a claw inside your cargo bay?

I like the idea though, it could be combined with auto-invisble struts for payloads inside bays and fairings during launch or after capture.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll give this a conditional "YES". I agree that the behaviour should be fixed where a no-acceleration warp should keep something inside the bay. I agree with some form of auto-strutting for normal docked payloads. An undocked payload, however, should have significant risks during atmospheric flight and acceleration, for disrupting the CoM, or even destroying the cargo bay or sections in front and behind the cargo bay, if it slams into them.

Unsecured cargo is typically a catastrophic event in aviation, if it is of any significant size or mass, due to the shifting weight, or damage when it hits something.

Great idea! As far as resource transfer, the game already supports docking linkages that do not permit resources, and in this case there would be no docking port to click on to activate resource transfer, so I think perma-resource lock is pretty reasonable.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.