Impossible contract?

The missions gives very specific details on the Apoapsis and Periapsis but u can't get it perfectly to every meter its impossible.

I have made it pretty much as close as I can be but still the mission won't complete itself.

KSP_2015_05_06_14_46_43_83.jpg

Please help.

If you look closely at the target orbit, you'll see dots following it. You should go in the same direction.

Another handy indicator: check the ascending/descending nodes. If they say some number close to 180 rather than close to 0, you're backwards.

I rarely look at the actual numbers for apo/peri. The tolerance is generous enough that one can get the contract just by lining them up in map view. I, too, have launched satellites the wrong direction and sat there puzzled for several minutes trying to figure out why I hadn't accomplished the contract yet.

I rarely look at the actual numbers for apo/peri. The tolerance is generous enough that one can get the contract just by lining them up in map view. I, too, have launched satellites the wrong direction and sat there puzzled for several minutes trying to figure out why I hadn't accomplished the contract yet.

It's a rite of passage; the old Fine Print ​thread used to have this come up once every three or four posts. :)

Bi-elliptic transfer is your friend :)

It's actually could be your friend even if you just need to put it into orbit

So I ran to wikipedia, and I can't see how this allows you to flip the orbit. Please explain.

You boost your apoapsis waaaay out, and then reverse orbit in apoapsis. That would cost you much, much less than just burning retrograde for 2x your orbital velocity.

For example, you need to reverse your 100km LKO. You spend about 900 m/s of dV to boost your apoapsis to Minmus orbit, then about 550 m/s of dV to reverse the orbit, and then another 900 m/s to circularize. That makes it ~2350 m/s maneuver, compared to like 4500 m/s you'll need to reverse it directly. And if you boost your apo a bit higher, you'll save even more, I think.

You boost your apoapsis waaaay out, and then reverse orbit in apoapsis. That would cost you much, much less than just burning retrograde for 2x your orbital velocity.

For example, you need to reverse your 100km LKO. You spend about 900 m/s of dV to boost your apoapsis to Minmus orbit, then about 550 m/s of dV to reverse the orbit, and then another 900 m/s to circularize. That makes it ~2350 m/s maneuver, compared to like 4500 m/s you'll need to reverse it directly. And if you boost your apo a bit higher, you'll save even more, I think.

Niiice. Thanks for that.

Inclination changes are also much cheaper in terms of delta-V the higher you are at the point of ascending/decending node/burn. I believe the ISS raises its orbit when it needs to do inclination changes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.