Mod to Generate Science Contracts by Searching Science Archives to Find New Science to Do

arkie87

What should the name of this mod be?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. What should the name of this mod be?

• Contract Configurator Pack: Field Research
    • Contract Configurator Pack: Undiscovered Science
    • Contract Configurator Pack: Science Explorer
    • It's own mod: Do Science!

I guess I was wondering why they wouldn't all allow transmit, since most tests require multiple runs to "finish", even via recovery. Will these missions be one-and-done, a threshold, or completion? I'm a completionist (obviously) but I gather most people here aren't, so one-and-done probably makes the most sense? If so, losses via transmit wouldn't be a big deal. Takes away some novelty for KSC I suppose.

I was thinking about Kerbin where it doesn't make a significant effort difference for the player, and I would rather they get the max possible (to reduce the amount that the contracts can be gamed). If it allowed transmit, they could sit in a biome, and keep transmitting over and over again until the experiment no longer gets offered. If I force them to recover then it makes it more difficult to sit there with one vessel.

However, forcing recovery is a whole different ballgame for someplace like Eve.... I'll have to give this one a little more thought.

Do the contracts require that the experiments be worth something to complete? Or is it just a distinction between transmission and recovery?

The contracts are set up so that when it picks subjects it drops the ones which have zero science left. If I start setting some up to allow transmission then I may have to make that more fancy to potentially filter out the ones that would have a zero transmit value.

The contracts are set up so that when it picks subjects it drops the ones which have zero science left. If I start setting some up to allow transmission then I may have to make that more fancy to potentially filter out the ones that would have a zero transmit value.

I think this is needed anyway. The player might do some science on his/her own and transmit the results (from goo or materials bay) and have some science left to do (like a satellite mission to Eve which only transmits data).

I think this is needed anyway. The player might do some science on his/her own and transmit the results (from goo or materials bay) and have some science left to do (like a satellite mission to Eve which only transmits data).

Of course. But what I don't want is to offer a contract to do experiment X on Eve and transmit the results, and have the player get there to find that transmit value has dropped to zero.

I meant does the parameter require that the science have value to be completed.

If some science value is required, either when transmitting or returning results, then how do you handle a situation where someone submits results after a contract asking for those results is offered, but before it is accepted.

Well, how zero is zero? mysteryGoo/mobileMaterials done 4x each is ~99.7% complete; it's a drag to do that for every biome but it's still not enough for 100% to register in the archives. You gotta get that floating point real low for some of those punks. ScienceAlert (blessed be its name!) lets you set the cutoff as low as 0.01; I usually figure ~95% is good enough, à la SCANsat.

Of course. But what I don't want is to offer a contract to do experiment X on Eve and transmit the results, and have the player get there to find that transmit value has dropped to zero.

I was thinking these contracts would only be offered if 100% of the science is remaining (rather than greater than some small percentage); otherwise, they've clearly already been there and done that. The purpose of the mod is to find new science, not scavenge around for leftover scraps...

i suppose if they are going to that biome anyway, and there is science left, then why not? (or maybe add it as a bonus-- not required to complete the contract but gives bonus funds)

Edited by arkie87

I meant does the parameter require that the science have value to be completed.

If some science value is required, either when transmitting or returning results, then how do you handle a situation where someone submits results after a contract asking for those results is offered, but before it is accepted.

Ah, good one, I hadn't thought of that. The parameters do not look at the data value, they only care that the experiment has been run (and recovered/transmitted, if applicable). So I think we're safe here - contracts won't generate when there's no value in the subject, and if the player reduces it to zero between offer/acceptance then they won't be painting themselves into a corner.

Well, how zero is zero? mysteryGoo/mobileMaterials done 4x each is ~99.7% complete; it's a drag to do that for every biome but it's still not enough for 100% to register in the archives. You gotta get that floating point real low for some of those punks. ScienceAlert (blessed be its name!) lets you set the cutoff as low as 0.01; I usually figure ~95% is good enough, à la SCANsat.

It's something that I was aware I would need to revisit (placeholder was > 0.0, which I realize is quite bad because of the way KSP science operates), but hadn't completely thought it out yet. More below in response to arkie.

I was thinking these contracts would only be offered if 100% of the science is remaining (rather than greater than some small percentage); otherwise, they've clearly already been there and done that. The purpose of the mod is to find new science, not scavenge around for leftover scraps...

i suppose if they are going to that biome anyway, and there is science left, then why not? (or maybe add it as a bonus-- not required to complete the contract but gives bonus funds)

I'm like amormeltzer, and a completionist. However, I do figure that most completionists that know the system will bring multiple experiments (or multiple science containers) to strip-mine the biome of science. So I think what I'll do is:

1. For most of the types of contracts, have it only pick up subjects that are completely unresearched.
  2. Add a new contract type that specifically picks up and calls out the "scraps". Something like "Wernher really needs you to go back to X and re-run that experiment a third time..."

Ah, good one, I hadn't thought of that. The parameters do not look at the data value, they only care that the experiment has been run (and recovered/transmitted, if applicable). So I think we're safe here - contracts won't generate when there's no value in the subject, and if the player reduces it to zero between offer/acceptance then they won't be painting themselves into a corner.

It's something that I was aware I would need to revisit (placeholder was > 0.0, which I realize is quite bad because of the way KSP science operates), but hadn't completely thought it out yet. More below in response to arkie.

I'm like amormeltzer, and a completionist. However, I do figure that most completionists that know the system will bring multiple experiments (or multiple science containers) to strip-mine the biome of science. So I think what I'll do is:

1. For most of the types of contracts, have it only pick up subjects that are completely unresearched.
  2. Add a new contract type that specifically picks up and calls out the "scraps". Something like "Wernher really needs you to go back to X and re-run that experiment a third time..."

Sounds good!

Today we look at the "rare science" contract, with WAYPOINTS:

lkNeKSP.png

You may also notice that I changed it so it doesn't have Celestial Body and Biome as separate lines - so that'll help a little bit in shrinking stuff down.

Unrelated, I think I've decided that I'll set the parameters to Recover or Transmit for anything outside of Kerbin's SOI (anything other than Kerbin/Mun/Minmus), and keep it as is for within Kerbin's SOI. That way you are forced to bring things home for those basic Mun missions.

Today we look at the "rare science" contract, with WAYPOINTS:

http://i.imgur.com/lkNeKSP.png

You may also notice that I changed it so it doesn't have Celestial Body and Biome as separate lines - so that'll help a little bit in shrinking stuff down.

Unrelated, I think I've decided that I'll set the parameters to Recover or Transmit for anything outside of Kerbin's SOI (anything other than Kerbin/Mun/Minmus), and keep it as is for within Kerbin's SOI. That way you are forced to bring things home for those basic Mun missions.

Can you actually include a map in the contract description window? or do we have to go to tracking station?

That's sorely needed, nicely done. This'll be hugely popular just for that feature!

Unrelated, I think I've decided that I'll set the parameters to Recover or Transmit for anything outside of Kerbin's SOI (anything other than Kerbin/Mun/Minmus), and keep it as is for within Kerbin's SOI. That way you are horsed to bring things home for those basic Mun missions.

This, and the previous "send back for extra stuff" idea, is great! Awesome thinking.

Edited by amorymeltzer

NyanCatScience? Do I also have to use that rainbow mod?

It's a placeholder name, but you can play the "rainbow mod" while waiting for this one to be released. :)

Can you actually include a map in the contract description window? or do we have to go to tracking station?

Nooo, no no no, that's just photoshop. :)

I, for one, would appreciate if the "must be recovered" part be configurable. Stock contracts are, after all.

Pretty much all Contract Configurator contracts are easily modified (to certain extents) with module manager.

This mod hasn't been forgotten about! It's been a busy weekend at home, so haven't been able to do too much work on KSP stuff. On top of that, the memorial day long weekend in the states means that there was a LOT more support requests/bug reports for Contract Configurator. Anyway, now that things have slowed back down to manageable levels, I present... the climate study!

It9ywAa.png

This mod hasn't been forgotten about! It's been a busy weekend at home, so haven't been able to do too much work on KSP stuff. On top of that, the memorial day long weekend in the states means that there was a LOT more support requests/bug reports for Contract Configurator. Anyway, now that things have slowed back down to manageable levels, I present... the climate study!

http://i.imgur.com/It9ywAa.png

No worries!

Glad to know you haven't gotten bored though :sticktongue:

nightingale,

Seriously, if there is a way I can help with this, I would love to. If it's just writing contracts or coding or whatever.

Rendman

Actually, it's about 99% done... just need a little bit more polish, and then I may put it out to this thread for alpha testing (maybe tomorrow?). So keep your eyes open!

Alright, let's get this show on the road, it's time for the Field Research OPEN BETA!

Give it a try, find bugs. Also, I'm looking for feedback on any of the following points:

• Which was your [most/least] favourite contract? Why?
  • Were the contract rewards too high/too low/just right?
  • Did you receive any contract that you felt you "weren't ready for"? (hypothetical example would be an atmosphere study of Jool when you hadn't even gone to the Mun)
  • Did you ever feel too many or too few Field Research contracts were offered?

Happy scienceing out there!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.