Serice Module difficulties

KSP version: 1.0.2 Stream under MSWindows 8.1 64bit

This could, in a certain light, be considered a user interface bug?

I like the service modules, however, they can be difficult to fill. I've spent seven hours tweaking my Mun lander to fit it inside the larger one - whilst everything seems fine, part clipping causes phantom forces.

As a work around opening and closing the module will allow the physics to resolve - but you cant open a module that's inside a fairing.

Surface attaching things to the inside is difficult.

Using the offset widget to move surface attached objects behaves most unexpectedly - I worked around this by attaching a cubic octagonal strut, then attached things to this, instead of the container directly.

The top and bottom should also become transparent to aid positioning. zooming in really close and spinning the part to see how close you are to the wall gets old real quick.

The interior of the model should match the collision mesh, (actually make it appear a little smaller inside than it really is to visually compensate for the approximate collision meshes of the other parts) Appease your 3D modellers by telling them the service module is to have a layer of flight case foam the Kerbal workers can carve as necessary.

Edited by JoCRaM

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.