PSA to Part Mod Authors - Please Distribute Textures as DDS if Possible

blowfish

For Paint.net, there's no DXT5nm, just 1, 3 and 5. And if that was bad enough, DDS doesn't even work for me... right! Looks like all my textures are gonna be png! Lovely...

What OS you running and did you flip the texture before converting ?

For Paint.net, there's no DXT5nm, just 1, 3 and 5. And if that was bad enough, DDS doesn't even work for me... right! Looks like all my textures are gonna be png! Lovely...

You only need DXT5nm for normal maps, and there are plenty of other converters out there. What about DDS doesn't work for you?

You only need DXT5nm for normal maps, and there are plenty of other converters out there. What about DDS doesn't work for you?

Yeah, that's why I need it. For the normal maps. Which other ones should I use?

And also, what I mean is, when I use the bumped specular shader for my probe core in Unity, and I put the normal map in the bump section, it says fix now, and then the normal texture works! My prope core has depth! But only when the files are PNG. If they are DDS, then the fix now button doesn't appear, and the probe core looks strange. Also, when I export with Unity using Part Tools, there's no option to export the textures as DDS.

Yeah, that's why I need it. For the normal maps. Which other ones should I use?

And also, what I mean is, when I use the bumped specular shader for my probe core in Unity, and I put the normal map in the bump section, it says fix now, and then the normal texture works! My prope core has depth! But only when the files are PNG. If they are DDS, then the fix now button doesn't appear, and the probe core looks strange. Also, when I export with Unity using Part Tools, there's no option to export the textures as DDS.

Correct, there's no DDS option in the part tools - you have to replace the outputted textures with DDS versions. As for other converters, I listed several in the OP. I tend to use some combination of Nvidia's tools and Lilleman's converter

Correct, there's no DDS option in the part tools - you have to replace the outputted textures with DDS versions. As for other converters, I listed several in the OP. I tend to use some combination of Nvidia's tools and Lilleman's converter

SO does that mean all I need is that DTX5nm exporter and I'm good?

• 9 months later...

Why are my DDS files so much larger than their PNG counterpart? Is that just the way they work?

For example I have a 1024x1024 image. The PNG is 71kb but the DDS is 683kb (using DXT1 and mipmaps). Is that a normal result?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.