Kerbal Space Program 1.0: Rescue Kerbals Missions: How To Rendezvous (VIDEO)

malkuth

In todays KSP 1.0 tutorial video, we cover the basics of how to rendezvous in space with another object. In this case a stranded kerbal in one of the Rescue Kerbal Contracts you can get in 1.0.

I'm still having some trouble with rendezvous. The closest I can get the nodes is about 1.4k so I start burning to slow down and everything is going dandy at first and I'm closing in on the stranded kerbal but then a bit before the pink circle reaches my retrograde marker my the target begins moving away from me despite me moving faster. Then I end up burning to correct it etc etc but it keeps overshooting till I can't get back. I can't seem to get the speed down to 0.0 relative to the targets before the target is gone.

The orbit of the target is a little inclined from the usual however and I only have a little over 1300 delta V left (and I need enough to get back down to Kerbin, which shouldn't take much).

This is my first time rendezvousing technically since the in-game tutorial was kinda meh. Your tutorial was helpful malkuth, as well as Das who went over some rendezvousing last night but I kinda gotten myself into a hard spot with mine. If I can complete the contract on this flight it would be great, if not I can always deorbit and launch another craft which will cost some more funds.

EDIT: I finally got it. I instead lined up the orbits, which I should've done in the first place and managed to get a very close encounter at 0.1-0.2km and through trial and error on my precise burns I finally manged to get close enough to complete the contract. The hard part was that I did the entire maneuver on the dark side of Kerbin on stock lighting so I could barely see the ships or the kerbal as I EVA'd him over.

Edited by Anrui
Got it!

Perfect! Just what I was looking for. Thanks! =)

You do over-explain some of the things a bit, but I finally understood how these target markers are actually working.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice video, but there is an error in your explanation of the prograde and target markers at around the 12:15 point. The pink circle is the target, and the yellow prograde marker is your current direction of travel; you actually call it the other way round. With the correct explanation of the markers, it is easier to recognise that, in your example, your current flight direction is taking you to the right of your target, which is why you need to make a correction burn whilst pointing to the left of the target to alter your course for a better intercept.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.