[1.0] SimpleScienceFix v1.1 - Run Multiple EVA and Crew Reports and Surface Samples. (May 7th, 2015)

Do you find it annoying to do the "data dance" of storing data into the command pod before you can run another eva report, crew report or surface sample?

I did! So I made a simple mod that moves the unique reports automatically to the science container on your vessel or kerbal so that you can run another report if you so desire. And just like stock, it will not allow multiple of the same exact experiment in the command pod or kerbal.

Note: If you use my mod ForScience!, you have no need for this mod.

JYhMtBw.png

Download it here.

License: CC by SA

Source

Coffee Fund

Known Issues: None.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

I made a suggestion a couple of days ago! I guess it does exactly that, and more?!

Yup. it fixes these scenarios:

Crew report > eva > take science data > store science data > reenter pod > now you can take a new crew report

EVA report > store data > now you can take a new eva report

Surface Sample > store data > now you can take a new surface sample

Also, great thread. :)

So this is basically http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/90678-0-90-Science-Containers-v-08-2 ? :D

Or is there any advantage of using one over the other?

This mod does not add any containers. So, no, probes will not be effected. This is just removing that tedious dance everyone has to do with report storage.

Which reminds me that I should probably do a check for that to avoid errors.

Any chance of getting this on CKAN?

I've never used it. I have no idea what it involved.

I've never used it. I have no idea what it involved.

I'd be happy to write a .netkan file for you to get it on there if you like?.

It would be easier (for both of us) if you mirrored your releases on your Github repo though - that way CKAN could automatically pick up new releases (and you wouldn't need your metadata updated everytime you update).

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing if this is compatible with ScienceAlert.

ScienceAlert works. Kind of. I haven't been able to use the buttons for stuff like crew reports and EVA reports. They just don't seem to register.

It should be noted that triggering the science report from the right click menu of both EVA kerbonauts, and the pods seem to work.

Edited by Tivec

ScienceAlert works. Kind of. I haven't been able to use the buttons for stuff like crew reports and EVA reports. They just don't seem to register.

It should be noted that triggering the science report from the right click menu of both EVA kerbonauts, and the pods seem to work.

I don't understand what you mean. You mean the science alert buttons don't work? The mod is doing the exact same thing you do when you eva to take/store data.

Hey! Thank you for this Mod!

I think I found some small issues:

The "reset" button in the experiment popup does no longer work - it behaves the same way the "keep data" Button does. The experiment will be kept. Only by reviewing and discarding data I can get rid of it. Seems to be the case at least for EVA reports and surface samples.

Also there seem to be some conditions where the "review stored data" right-click option on a Kerbal does not appear. I got this when taking an EVA report on the capsules ladder sitting on the launchpad, then taking a surface sample from the launchpad. I could not reproduce this one though.

Hey! Thank you for this Mod!

I think I found some small issues:

The "reset" button in the experiment popup does no longer work - it behaves the same way the "keep data" Button does. The experiment will be kept. Only by reviewing and discarding data I can get rid of it. Seems to be the case at least for EVA reports and surface samples.

Also there seem to be some conditions where the "review stored data" right-click option on a Kerbal does not appear. I got this when taking an EVA report on the capsules ladder sitting on the launchpad, then taking a surface sample from the launchpad. I could not reproduce this one though.

Yes, the reset and keep data buttons do nothing, because as soon as you ran the report, the data was created on the kerbal by the game. The addon simply moves that data to the science container. It doesn't care if you want to keep it or not, it just moves it to get the experiment ready to go again. If you want to remove data, you need to review it.

I don't know about the second issue though.

• 2 weeks later...
this mod spams debug log at insane frequency with taking available eligible reports - crew reports, eva reports, telemetry reports (SETI) or whatever the science this mod touches.

Can you provide our output.log? There shouldn't be any log output from this mod.

I think you need to update your version. I had a debug message that slipped through in in version 1.0, but I just checked the source and compiled code on curse and there are no debug messages in v1.1.

Let me know, if you still experience the issue.

I think you need to update your version. I had a debug message that slipped through in in version 1.0, but I just checked the source and compiled code on curse and there are no debug messages in v1.1.

Let me know, if you still experience the issue.

Ouch! Update - missed it. Sorry. Now works very well. However, doesn't function on SETI's telemetry reports anymore...

I assume all is going swimmingly? No issues?

Some recent ScienceAlert updates have made them work perfectly together, there was previously a bit of confusion between them in some situations. I think SimpleScience wasn't at fault at all for those.

If I had one wish for this, it would be to have an option where if there are multiples of the same experiment instrument available, to make it possible to choose which one is run. For example I have combined orbit-and-landing probes that separate once they've achieved orbit around the planet. When arriving at the planet 'high in space above <PlanetX>' I will get the alert to do those bits of science but I would like to target the ones that are on the orbiting probe rather than the lander. If multiple options were shown (perhaps as a [1] [2] [3] list of buttons, with the part highlighted when you hovered over the button) it would be nicer than trying to fiddle with the camera to find the right part.

Still, what it does it does perfectly. Thanks!

Ouch! Update - missed it. Sorry. Now works very well. However, doesn't function on SETI's telemetry reports anymore...

It is not really supposed to unless I misunderstanding something.

It looking specifically for crew reports, surface samples and eva reports, and if there is a science data container on that experiment's part, then move it's data to that experiment's part's science container.

Since a telemetry report is not one of the three experiments that it is looking for, and probes do not have science containers to store the data (or a kerbal to do the "dance" anyway), this addon will do nothing.

- - - Updated - - -

Some recent ScienceAlert updates have made them work perfectly together, there was previously a bit of confusion between them in some situations. I think SimpleScience wasn't at fault at all for those.

If I had one wish for this, it would be to have an option where if there are multiples of the same experiment instrument available, to make it possible to choose which one is run. For example I have combined orbit-and-landing probes that separate once they've achieved orbit around the planet. When arriving at the planet 'high in space above <PlanetX>' I will get the alert to do those bits of science but I would like to target the ones that are on the orbiting probe rather than the lander. If multiple options were shown (perhaps as a [1] [2] [3] list of buttons, with the part highlighted when you hovered over the button) it would be nicer than trying to fiddle with the camera to find the right part.

Still, what it does it does perfectly. Thanks!

I suppose you are wishing for science alert to do this? Because this addon does not run any experiments.

If you want automation, you may want to see my other mod, ForScience!. It is linked in my sig.

I suppose you are wishing for science alert to do this? Because this addon does not run any experiments.

Yes! Sorry. Lost my train of thought there, clearly. Had just wanted to give feedback that everything was going well :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.