Procedurally generate surface objects of scientific interest

0x7be

As for me one of gameplay weaknesses of KSP is that surfrace of planet is rather dull. Once you get into one point some biome, you basicly get whole biome. There is no need for travelling over surface of planet as long as you stay within biome.

Possible solution for this problem is to generate procedurally surface objects and places wich you can visit and explore for science. These could be diffrent rocks, soil patches, geological phenomena, etc. Driving (flying, jumping) around landing sites could become rewarding.

Two requests:

1. Please, give me feedback for this idea.

2. Is it possible with current game mechanics to implement procedurally generated objects that emerge and disappear on border of "player physical sphere" as it moves?

Thanks in advance.

This is something I'd like too.

So. Very. Much.

Because exploring a planet should be more than making those brief first steps.

Because rovering can be fun.

kVcYQJnl.png

Looking at strange dirt can be fun too.

J5YylH3l.jpg

Ideally, you'd get to hunt them down by looking for changes in your instrument readings- the closer you get, the larger the change.

Adding extra parts would be awesome, and perfect for this- a little magnetometer, a geiger counter, maybe even a regolith analyzer which you need to give a sample. Atmosphere composition data could be modded into the atmosphere analyzer.

I, am a few others are probably quite willing to discus theoretical planetary regolith and atmosphere composition.

Awesome as it would be, to make these fit in with the other instruments, they'd need to have something to measure through the whole solar system. This is why I'd really like something like this be stock.

It could just use the stock instruments (temp and/or pressure increase/decrease, seismometer reading oscillating, despite the rover being still,), but any changes to these readings would have to be small to stay believable. (Unless you're approaching an active volcano or something).

The more boring way would be to have just the one scanner, or to only be able to locate then visually.

IMHO, it would be nice if the objects where persistent within a save, making the planet fell more real. But some things that change after time could be nice.

In general the planets and moons should be more interesting. The Mun looks OK now, but would be better with smaller scale sized craters.

Rilles would be a cool thing to add here and there as well (some might not be collapsed, which could be really cool).

LPOD-Nov8-10.jpg

da5255877a.jpg

click below for a huge version

http://history.nasa.gov/alsj/a15/a15dmh1231715.jpg

I don't play Minecraft all that much, but sometimes when my kids get a good seed, I like to just wander around and look at the landscape. Except for the Mun, I don't in KSP (though the mun can have some awesome pictures when the light is right).

IMHO, it would be nice if the objects where persistent within a save, making the planet fell more real. But some things that change after time could be nice.

Saving that of stuff (i.e. procedurally generated) can easily bloat savefiles and memory consumption.

Nevertheless, it possible to have persistent procedurally generated things by using static seed data.

That way only affected instances have to be saved.

Persistent or not, I'd be all for this kind of exploration in KSP - right now you have to play Take on Mars to do it :D And I'm not sure but I think ToM might be doing it procedurally too, if there are rocks, you can probably do something with them, lots of stuff to do (even if it does get boring after a while).

Saving that of stuff (i.e. procedurally generated) can easily bloat savefiles and memory consumption.

Nevertheless, it possible to have persistent procedurally generated things by using static seed data.

That way only affected instances have to be saved.

You really do over-estimate the effect of persistent.sfs bloat. KSP's memory management isn't great, but a few megs of data isn't going to hurt anything until it is time to process it.

You really do over-estimate the effect of persistent.sfs bloat. KSP's memory management isn't great, but a few megs of data isn't going to hurt anything until it is time to process it.

Well, let's try and calculate:

Approx item data size: 1 kb.

Items density: 50 items/square kilometer

Radius of generation zone: 1 km (diameter = 2 km).

Then for 10 km of surface travel distance 1000 items would be generated that will take ~1 MB of storage.

So, basicly we have +1 MB of data after each rover landing.

No so much indeed, but for lengthy career that could generate hundred megabytes or so.

Then for 10 km of surface travel distance 1000 items would be generated that will take ~1 MB of storage.

So, basicly we have +1 MB of data after each rover landing.

One of us has a misconception of the meaning of procedurally generated?

My understanding:

Nothing is saved ever, the landscape is recreated from a seed everytime it is needed and will always look the same because the same seed is used every time.

• 8 months later...

How about have the same stuff in every save on every planet, but randomizes the locations of them so you have to find them? Also, SQAUD, try overlaying hi-res hightmaps in specific locations on planets for special, detailed features.

This would be awesome! Rovers are awesome, but there's rarely a use for them...

I wonder if there'll be ground level contracts introduced in 1.1 with the rest of the contract overhaul. It'd be a good fit with the wheel improvements. 

Wishful thinking I suppose, but still...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.