Eurogamer review!

These are my thoughts exactly about career.

Yours and about half the community. Unlike many democratic systems though Squad apparently needs a super-majority in order to get a clue. Nothing happens unless there's overwhelming opposition.

Yours and about half the community. Unlike many democratic systems though Squad apparently needs a super-majority in order to get a clue. Nothing happens unless there's overwhelming opposition.

That's cute.

You think the development of the game is a democracy.

That's cute.

You think the development of the game is a democracy.

And why not? Squad are making a consumer product, not a work of art. Why shouldn't people get what they want. It's the underlying principle of a free market. They will do what most people want or risk losing reputation. Simple isn't it?

And why not? Squad are making a consumer product, not a work of art. Why shouldn't people get what they want. It's the underlying principle of a free market. They will do what most people want or risk losing reputation. Simple isn't it?

Your free market idea doesn't work, does it?

Squad has your money. You don't like the idea? You can leave. But you can also leave your money.

The fact they haven't done that, and that they have caved in some cases where a mass of consumers shouted at them (And don't think they haven't. It's never been civil when it came to controversy. But then... it's not a "democracy" without shouting, right?), shows that they care about their consumers' wishes.

But it's hardly the norm.

Kerbal Space Program isn't a democracy. It's a very benevolent dictatorship, where the dictator occasionally gave you the idea of democracy.

Your free market idea doesn't work, does it?

Squad has your money. You don't like the idea? You can leave. But you can also leave your money.

The fact they haven't done that, and that they have caved in some cases where a mass of consumers shouted at them (And don't think they haven't. It's never been civil when it came to controversy. But then... it's not a "democracy" without shouting, right?), shows that they care about their consumers' wishes.

But it's hardly the norm.

Kerbal Space Program isn't a democracy. It's a very benevolent dictatorship, where the dictator occasionally gave you the idea of democracy.

None of this addresses my point... and you brought my money into the discussion for some reason...And this is getting off topic. I'll just leave you alone.

That's what I thought.

You don't understand how this works.

I get why. Squad hasn't been conventional in their dealings. But you DO need a fundamental understanding of how a free market actually works before you make it an argument.

Money is everything in a free market. That's the only input you have. You have no other input, unless the manufacturer allows for it. But they don't have to listen. They're making a product that is either in demand, or they think will be in demand.

You buy it, you show support.

You don't buy it, you show the product doesn't satisfy you.

That's it.

Read up, and we'll continue this in PMs, if you so desire.

... I like career mode.

But it really needs better direction. Not having to start manned and getting more plane parts up front would be a good start.

But regardless it's nothing that can't be expanded upon. I'm sure Squad is aware of what needs to be done.

Nice review. Many words! Reviewer didn't say why he didn't like Career. He could have dwelled on that for a paragraph, but chose not to. Leaving science mode in has really paid off, it has given players (and reviewers) another way to enjoy KSP.

I'm sure Squad is aware of what needs to be done.
They'd have to re-imagine and rewrite the entire thing to make it work, basically. It's a bunch of unrelated features tossed at a velcro wall and left where they stuck; there's no cohesion and the only real economic activity is grinding silly little meaningless goals that fail to drive even the player's own goals because they're so random. Any semblance of "managing" a "program" is tossed out the window in favor of sums. There's nothing to balance, no interplay with time.

Sure, Squad is aware of what needs to be done. Whether they have the will to do it is another thing entirely.

A very good review. It gives a very accurate description of the Kerbal Space Program experience. The joy, the wonder, and the challenge are all understood and depicted in the review.

The review is very well written, and it reflects well on both KSP and on SQUAD, as it should.

It's point about career mode is very well made. I think career mode has the makings of something great, but it seems there is still quite a bit of work to do there yet.

Congratulations, KSP team, on a great review!

Happy landings!

Edited by Starhawk

Great to see another solid review and more of a shout-out to the community than I've seen in other reviews. Interesting that Science mode was picked out as being 'arguably the ideal middle ground.'

But yeah - the reviewer really got KSP and what makes it so great.

"Yours and about half the community. Unlike many democratic systems though Squad apparently needs a super-majority in order to get a clue. Nothing happens unless there's overwhelming opposition." - Capt. Kipard

Hey Capt. Kipard

I think it's important to understand what democracy isn't. Democracy isn't giving in to the loudest and most outspoken in the room, although, sadly, modern politics is increasingly about just this thing. This is ultimately what forum discussions are, not a reflection of what the majority think, but what the most outspoken think.

I personally, and anecdotally (in other words, the weakest form of evidence ;-) ) don't think there is evidence a majority of the people commenting on the forums are critical of squad in the main, frankly it seems to me (but I only hang around here, not reddit or anywhere else) there is a group of about four or five of the "usual suspects" who are constantly criticising (constructively, I'd say most of the time, sometimes not though) squad. A passionate, often thoughtful group, but by no means reflective of a majority.

Even if we take it that a majority of the forum commenting community are critical of squads approach, this is still just a fraction of the total KSP playing community.... I'd argue (but have not figures at hand) most people who play KSP do not engage in the forums.

So, I'd argue that Squad.... while listening to the community... should not necessarily feel obliged to take its advice in all circumstances.

Indeed.... I'd go further and say that designing a product by committee is rarely a good idea.

Edited by Tourist
forgot quote

Nice review. Many words! Reviewer didn't say why he didn't like Career. He could have dwelled on that for a paragraph, but chose not to. Leaving science mode in has really paid off, it has given players (and reviewers) another way to enjoy KSP.

I only play with Science Mode, but I'll test the Career just to give it a chance, I've never used it since it was released.

PD: Damm it, we europeans really have to use the euro- prefix on everything, haven't we?

:P

I only play with Science Mode, but I'll test the Career just to give it a chance, I've never used it since it was released.

PD: Damm it, we europeans really have to use the euro- prefix on everything, haven't we?

:P

That's Europinion. Others may disagree.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.