Engine nacelle and radial engine body

xclusiv8

Right now, these and the intakes are merely decorative.

They will have a purpose soon though, the plan is to make air-breathing engines require intakes to work, and you\'ll need to choose the right intake for the right job. Some will be good for low-altitude, high efficiency flight, others will be good for supersonic flight at extreme altitudes.

The intakes on a turbine engine are really important. Look at the SR-71 and its peculiar shockwave-reducing intake spike, for instance.

Cheers

does that imply the same will be for rocket nozzles?

i mean, different nozzles for different flight conditions, i.e. over/under-expansion under different flight conditions, etc?

there is a length of requests about this very feature in the dev boards.... so, if this mechanic applies to one end of an engine, it would be logical that it must apply to the other one as well ::)

does that imply the same will be for rocket nozzles?

i mean, different nozzles for different flight conditions, i.e. over/under-expansion under different flight conditions, etc?

there is a length of requests about this very feature in the dev boards.... so, if this mechanic applies to one end of an engine, it would be logical that it must apply to the other one as well ::)

Well, yes and no. If we split both intakes and nozzles from the engines, the engines themselves won\'t mean much anymore.

What we want to do is later add a tweakable property to air-breathing engines, so you can change its nozzle for different operating conditions and flight envelopes. But the nozzle itself will always be part of the engine.

The intakes are split from the engines though, because being able to place them anywhere gives you a lot of design freedom. The air \'ducts\' are implied. This was an area where we felt that creative freedom was more important than realism. If you want to make airliner-style turbines, you can, but if you want to have MIG-like intakes, that\'s possible also.

Cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.