[1.0.4] Contract Pack: ScanSat Lite 1.3 (23/08/15)

severedsolo

SCANsat Lite is now part of SCANsat! This thread is no longer needed, and the mod is no longer maintained.

6sTgj0d.png

Introduction

DT85 made a fantastic contract pack for SCANSat, but it hasn't been updated for a long time, and doesn't take advantage of the newer features of Contract Configurator.

So I wrote a new pack specifically for 1.0.2 and using the newest version of Contract Configurator.

The original pack by DT85 used 11 missions to accomplish it's goals. I use 4 (one for each type of scan) I've also done away with all of the "reach a specific orbit and scan for x amount of time".

Quite simply, once you've orbited a world, the contract will generate. Then you just scan using the relevant scanner, however you see fit. However, this freedom comes at a price. The contract will only complete if you scan 95% of the surface.

Depends on Contract Configurator (minimum of 1.1.0) available here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/101604

Obviously you need ScanSat available here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/80369 )

Licensing

Licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0

Contract Configurator licensed under MIT License

SCANSat licensed under BSDv2

This pack includes MiniAVC which if you allow it, will contact my github repository to check for updates periodically. No personal information is collected.

MiniAVC licensed under GNU General Public License V3

Thanks

Thanks to nightingale for writing a whole new expression into CC specifically for this pack.

Thanks to DT85 for the inspiration - I did not directly use your work, but you pointed me in the right direction. His original pack is here

Known Issues

None

Installation

Download links removed. ScanSat Lite is now part of SCANsat

Source Code

Available here: https://github.com/severedsolo/ScanSatLite

Edited by severedsolo

Honestly I'm not sure, although I don't see why not, I don't actually specify planets by name, I just tell ksp to look for any bodies that the player has orbited then pick one at random.

In theory at least, that should return custom planets as valid targets as long as you've orbited it

Edited by severedsolo

Oooh, my turn for a bug report! You can get multiple scan contracts for the same body offered at the same time:

s6MRxLN.png

Unfortunately, I don't have an easy answer for you, I think I need some sort of enhancement in Contract Configurator to prevent this. Let me mull over it and think of the easiest way...

EDIT: Also, there isn't much to differentiate the 2-star 3-star version of the contract...

I should have expected that, the pool of target bodies is pretty small (especially early game)

It probably didn't come up in initial testing because I had a bigger pool of targets to work with.

I can't think of a way around it, without limiting each contact to 1 simultaneous

I have noticed this mistake in the ScanSatLite.version file:

[TABLE=class: highlight tab-size-8 js-file-line-container]

[TR]

[TD=class: blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line]{[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: blob-num js-line-number][/TD]

[TD=class: blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line] "NAME":"Contract Pack: Kerbal Space Station",[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line] [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I don`t know if it is a big issue...

I have noticed this mistake in the ScanSatLite.version file:

I don`t know if it is a big issue...

Damn it, I was hoping nobody would notice.

I fixed this last night, if you just re-download it's fixed now.

It shouldn't make a massive amount of difference, just if/when I post an update AVC will tell you that KSS has an update instead of ScanSat Lite (but it will still point you to the right download location)

So yeah, that bug nightingale reported is pretty annoying. I just had 3 of the same contract show up, as this was the only contract available to me, and I've only orbited Kerbin.

So:

ScanSat Lite 1.0.1 Released

Changed maxSimultaneous to 1

I think the reward for some scanning contracts is laughable, its on the grinding side. Especially because it's a onetimer for each body.

By the time we unlock the scanners we're no longer interested in contracts with rewards below 100k anymore:

IYdovdL.png

5SD8jom.png

This is what a simple contract should look like:

An7a7vO.png

Also some science reward would be nice as well.

Edited by Enceos

I think the reward for some scanning contracts is laughable, its on the grinding side. Especially because it's a onetimer for each body.

When we unlock the scanners we're not interested in contracts with rewards below 60k anymore:

http://i.imgur.com/IYdovdL.png

http://i.imgur.com/5SD8jom.png

This is what a simple contract should look like:

http://i.imgur.com/An7a7vO.png

Also some science reward would be nice as well.

Although I think maybe 6k is too low, I disagree with the other points:

1. The SCANsat contracts kind of assume that you're going to be scanning anyway. So if it's paying you for something you'd be doing anyway, it doesn't need to be a massive payout.
  2. Tourism plus was meant to be anti-grind by design. When I initially created it in 0.90, the rewards were bordering on OP compared to the stock contracts. In 1.0.2 where you get something like 100k for launching your first rocket (if you get all the records along the way) it's not quite as bad, but it's still meant to be high.
  3. You're going to get a bunch of science from doing the scan itself! You want MORE from the contract? :)

1. The SCANsat contracts kind of assume that you're going to be scanning anyway. So if it's paying you for something you'd be doing anyway, it doesn't need to be a massive payout.
  2. Tourism plus was meant to be anti-grind by design. When I initially created it in 0.90, the rewards were bordering on OP compared to the stock contracts. In 1.0.2 where you get something like 100k for launching your first rocket (if you get all the records along the way) it's not quite as bad, but it's still meant to be high.
  3. You're going to get a bunch of science from doing the scan itself! You want MORE from the contract? :)

I'm comparing it to stock contracts:

coGKZFl.png

Don't be bothered with laser ablation and neutron scattering, without DMagic they would be temperature scan, surface samples et.c.

Edited by Enceos

The rewards were a typo on my part - sorry.

Agree they are too low (fixed below) - but I'm not boosting to 60k, pretty much for the reasons nightingale already gave. Don't forget you also get the multiplier for going further afield.

Also, in your example above, that's a contract with 5 parameters, it's quite involved (and it's not stock - it's from DMagic Orbital Science)

I have one (simple) parameter.

ScanSat Lite 1.0.2 released

- Boosted rewards.

I think, that it could be something more then 15K Especially since you have to do 95%. That is quite some manuel adjusting of the craft (or do I miss something). But I also think, that 216K for the turism contract is way to much (for at least a suborbital flight). But 30K - 50K and some science would be nice ;)

- - - Updated - - -

1. You're going to get a bunch of science from doing the scan itself! You want MORE from the contract? :)

One question, when do I get the science from scanning (%)? I have maybe 24% of Kerbin and so far no science? Any idea?

Thanks!

The rewards were a typo on my part - sorry.

Agree they are too low (fixed below) - but I'm not boosting to 60k, pretty much for the reasons nightingale already gave. Don't forget you also get the multiplier for going further afield.

Also, in your example above, that's a contract with 5 parameters, it's quite involved (and it's not stock - it's from DMagic Orbital Science)

I have one (simple) parameter.

ScanSat Lite 1.0.2 released

- Boosted rewards.

Thanks for doing that!

Btw, simple double star stock contract with one parameter, takes 10 hours to complete:

aI1AyQH.png

Alright, so I actually built a ScanSat - it cost me about 40k. IMO contracts should at least cover your launch costs (fair's fair). You may get 60k, but it's at the higher end of the scale.

Sorry for the messing around, it's difficult to balance contracts, because of the multipliers as you go further afield. I'd rather start low and move up, than vice versa.

ScanSat 1.0.3 Released

Boosted Rewards (again).

I think, that it could be something more then 15K Especially since you have to do 95%. That is quite some manuel adjusting of the craft (or do I miss something).

I think you have. You shouldn't need to adjust the orbit once you are in a nice unsynchronous polar orbit. By unsynchronous I mean that when you look at your path on the big scansat map it has many different equator crossings.

Alright, got a new feature coming for you in the next version of Contract Configurator. The DATA node now supports a uniqueValue flag. Set it to true, and it will prevent any contract from showing up with a duplicate value for the given field (across active/offered contracts).

DATA
{
type = CelestialBody
requiredValue = true
uniqueValue = true
targetBody1 = OrbitedBodies().Random()
}

I think you have. You shouldn't need to adjust the orbit once you are in a nice unsynchronous polar orbit. By unsynchronous I mean that when you look at your path on the big scansat map it has many different equator crossings.

I was in an equatorial orbit therefor I could not take advantage of the planet spin. Is that what you mean? I guess I am not 100% sure what unsynchronous means :(. But thanks anyway!

edit: Just downloaded the pack via CKAN :) Thanks!

I was in an equatorial orbit therefor I could not take advantage of the planet spin. Is that what you mean? I guess I am not 100% sure what unsynchronous means :(. But thanks anyway!

The trick with SCANSat is to cross the equator as many times as possible. If you are in an equatorial orbit, you are just scanning the equator. You need to be in a (nearly) polar orbit. (it's easier to launch into one, rather than launch to 0 degrees then plane change).

Unsynchronous means that you pass a different spot on the equator each time (otherwise you're just scanning the same area over and over)

Edited by severedsolo

The trick with SCANSat is to cross the equator as many times as possible. If you are in an equatorial orbit, you are just scanning the equator. You need to be in a (nearly) polar orbit. (it's easier to launch into one, rather than launch to 0 degrees then plane change).

Unsynchronous means that you pass a different spot on the equator each time (otherwise you're just scanning the same area over and over)

Thanks a lot! I will try this. I did excactly what you said. I was scanning the same area over and over...but this data were super accurat :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.