[1.0.4] Contract Pack: ScanSat Lite 1.3 (23/08/15)

severedsolo

Ok, this is with just these mods installed:

Contract Configurator

Scansat

Scansat Lite (contract pack)

Modulemanager

https://www.dropbox.com/s/al2z9y3mwqlm4y3/output_log.txt?dl=0

I played the game long enough to get the low-res scan of kerbin contract, took that, and went to the tracking station and got a similar null-ref error as my first post.

I loved using DBT85s scansat contracts and now that I plan on starting a new save it seems this is the way to go. I'm confused though, it says at the starts there are only 2 contracts and I assume those 2 contracts can be generated for each body? One of them is obviously LoRes scanning, is the other one Biome?

Am I understanding it correctly that I need to orbit a body for new contracts to show up? Do the contracts require new launches or could I send a probe with scansat equipment out to the Joolian system and massive amounts of dv and then grab contracts as I orbit the different bodies and cash in on contracts without new launches?

I loved using DBT85s scansat contracts and now that I plan on starting a new save it seems this is the way to go. I'm confused though, it says at the starts there are only 2 contracts and I assume those 2 contracts can be generated for each body? One of them is obviously LoRes scanning, is the other one Biome?

Exactly.

Am I understanding it correctly that I need to orbit a body for new contracts to show up? Do the contracts require new launches or could I send a probe with scansat equipment out to the Joolian system and massive amounts of dv and then grab contracts as I orbit the different bodies and cash in on contracts without new launches?

You understand correctly. The target selection code will only consider bodies that have been orbited. Otherwise contracts would hardly ever generate, as it would pick a body at random (say eeloo) and if the player hadn't visited it nothing would happen. This method reduces the pool of targets, and (counter-intuitively) increases the chance a contract will generate.

There is no need to launch a new vessel, you can send your ScanSat equipment and then wait for the contrat to generate (actually this is my plan too)

Edited by severedsolo

• 2 weeks later...

What happens if i install this contract pack mid save? I already achives orbit around mun, kerbin and minmus. Will this contract pack know i did those contracts and possibly give me the scanning contracts accordingly? Thanks

What happens if i install this contract pack mid save? I already achives orbit around mun, kerbin and minmus. Will this contract pack know i did those contracts and possibly give me the scanning contracts accordingly? Thanks

Should do. It uses the default KSP progress tracker to see where you have been (I believe). It just won't offer if you already have >95% ScanSat Coverage with the relevant scanner.

• 2 weeks later...

Can somebody summarize SCANSat CP vs SCANSat CP lite?

I am trying to have game-realistic experience. It will be on Hard, so I do not want large amount of free easy funds, that I suspect installing both will provide.

At least from what I see in the pictures.

Can somebody summarize SCANSat CP vs SCANSat CP lite?

I am trying to have game-realistic experience. It will be on Hard, so I do not want large amount of free easy funds, that I suspect installing both will provide.

At least from what I see in the pictures.

Short answer:

CP: ScanSat will tell you to scan a planet in the "ideal" orbit (or one of them anyway), but requires less of the planet to be scanned. Last time I played there was also an arbitary time requirement before the contract would complete. It also doesn't support planet packs/RSS. (This makes it sound like I don't like DT85's pack, but I do!)

Personally, I'm a great believer in player freedom, so SS Lite does away with all that, and just goes "ah to hell with it, scan however you like" - but, you need to get 95% of the planet scanned before it pays out. It also supports planet packs, because the planets are not hardcoded, unlike DT85's pack. The rewards are similar for each.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, on working on that version, I was about to remind you. I know, version files are a pain.

I wish Squad would make a standard that barring unforeseen consequences of their changes all version increments that will likely cause incomparability with a known popular mod or known common mod type will not be point releases. (So 1.1 instead of 1.0.5 if the next release would cause bugs in known mods.) That way we don't have to worry about point releases breaking mods.

Yeah, I have actually updated the .version to 1.0.4 this morning, but CKAN isn't picking it up yet.

Apologies for the delay, I got a bit peeved with 1.0.4 hitting the moment I had just finished updating to 1.0.3 (and I mean the moment. I hit Save on this one, which was the last one, and facebook flashed up with "we've just released 1.0.4").

So I went and played This War of Mine for a week instead.

For pure contract packs without any code at all, I tend to just use 1.0.99 as the "max" ksp version.... a few less mods to worry about when a new KSP version comes out. I'm very tempted to change contract packs to 1.99.99 and mods other than Contract Configurator to 1.0.99.... as CKAN right now doesn't have a good way of handling updating the .version file aside from re-releasing the mod entirely.

CKAN right now doesn't have a good way of handling updating the .version file aside from re-releasing the mod entirely.

Ugh really? That explains why USS and SS Lite haven't been picked up but KSS has. KSS had an update. I suppose CKAN thinks it's already indexed and doesn't bother to try again. Which totally defeats the object of version file checking! I might as well just manually update my netkan file.

In that case:

ScanSat Lite 1.1.1 released

Totally useless release.

Purely for CKAN's benefit. If you don't use CKAN you can ignore it.

Short answer:

CP: ScanSat will tell you to scan a planet in the "ideal" orbit (or one of them anyway), but requires less of the planet to be scanned. Last time I played there was also an arbitary time requirement before the contract would complete. It also doesn't support planet packs/RSS. (This makes it sound like I don't like DT85's pack, but I do!)

Personally, I'm a great believer in player freedom, so SS Lite does away with all that, and just goes "ah to hell with it, scan however you like" - but, you need to get 95% of the planet scanned before it pays out. It also supports planet packs, because the planets are not hardcoded, unlike DT85's pack. The rewards are similar for each.

You can install both SS contract packs at the same time, regular and lite. I have not yet unlocked the tech tree far enough, but I expect to get contracts from both mods, so that I sometimes will be able to do two contracts with one mission. I don't mind.

I have had several missions where I need to do a scan/survey/etc for a celestrial body, and I sent a part into orbit to do it, and it turned out to be the wrong one. (Latest example was do a Biome Scan I sent a M700, nope it wanted a Multispectral scanner, previously I needed to do send a Resource Survey scanner, I sent up a couple different ones cause I was not sure which it wanted, nope turned out it wanted the M700.)

All this to say, can the contracts requirements also list the part it wants on the ship/sat to complete the mission? (Similar to the way all the part test contracts list the tested part in the contract requirements)

It shouldn't be asking for a m700? I only ask for the Low Res scanner (forget what it's called) and the multispectral.

Having said that, feedback noted, expect an update in approximately 8 hours.

The contract that wanted an M700, was probably not ScanSatLite contract.

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting bug pop up. (be aware I am still playing on KSP 1.0.2, with 1.0.2 mods) I had a contract to do a Biome Scan of Kerbin, (with a multi spectral scanner :kiss:)

The Sat has been in orbit doing its thing (for a game time week or so) and I have been watching it slowly climb up to get to the 95% for completion while I do other missions and flights.

The last time I noticed it it was at 94/95% (finnaly :)). The next time I looked for it, it was gone. :huh:

So I thought maybe I accidentally hid it (Contracts Window+ mod) nope it was not there either.

So I went to the Mission Control and it was there under completed Contracts.

Here is the thing, I never clicked to remove the completed contract from my contracts list, Not did I get any notices that the scan was complete and contract had been completed. (And I cant tell if I received the contract rewards)

As far as I recall, between the time when I last saw it, and next noticed it was not there, I did not do any quickloads, or reloads or restarts. So I have no Idea what made the contract disappear.

Edited by BlackHat

The last time I noticed it it was at 94/95% (finnaly :)). The next time I looked for it, it was gone. :huh:

Is there a completion message in the little notifications window? There should be something if it completed. There should be something in the log file about it being completed, too, if you haven't already started KSP again.

Also, Contracts Window + has some logic for automatically removing completed contracts, so it's not always necessary to actually click the "x" remove button.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.